“Wish I could give it a 10!!!”

McCloud Mercantile Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in McCloud
Reviewed 27 July 2014

When in McCloud this past week, I checked out every hotel and B & B available and this BY FAR is the best. Photos don't do it justice, plus the owners went overboard to meet my needs. I can't recommend it highly enough...and I have traveled the U.S. and other countries extensively for my work in the past 20 years, staying in literally hundreds of hotels and inns of various kinds. This one would be on my list of the top five (out of the hundreds I have stayed in :-) ).

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the main street have windows that let in bright sunlight. I stayed in one of thes...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank TruthSeeker444

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I had expected more considering all the great reviews on a couple of sites. The whole place is rather dark. There is no lobby but a small common area upstairs. Our room was small, the bed ok, the very small tub was very slippery when talking a shower and I couldn't find a hairdryer. Almost everything is closed on Monday so we had to buy a salad by 5pm then when we went to eat later, we had to wait for the common area. The breakfast I had hoped for was a $10 credit in the cafe next door but it didn't open until 8am and we left a 7pm.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a big tub.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This place is one of the best B & B's we have stayed in . The hotel is on the second level of the building. Its nicely decorated with a touch of artifacts that are dated but kept in great condition. Its carpeted in most of the common areas and has wooden floors in the living area (Its too noisy to walk on. They must work on fixing this.) The rooms are nicely done. Although I would definitely say that the Hot & Tot can get a little upgrade. It seems a bit empty. But in any case we had a wonderful time. The best part of this place is a 24 hr snack spot in the living area. They provide cold water, hot cocoa powder, some biscotti, a good selection of tea and have neatly setup all utensils that you may need on a table. The living is a lovely place to simply hangout and read a book. I would come back again without a second thought. The owner Kevin is a very nice and helpful person. Almost forgot to mention that although this places doesnt serve breakfast, they let you take 20 off per room at the cafe below. The White mountain cafe is also an excellent place to have breakfast !

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rockonjimish
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Really enjoyed my stay. I went for a quilting retreat and my daughter decided to join me. We visited in the summer. While I quilted away, she found places to hike and kayak, a museum to visit, and a lavender farm about an hour away, The hotel is quaint. Each room is different. Ours had a soaking tub and I took full advantage. The attached restaurant and cafe are only open for breakfast and lunch but we also found great food in nearby towns. I am definitely coming back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I googled McCloud looking for a place to stay (prefer quirky). I'm so glad I found this place. The McCloud Mercantile is very friendly fun and interesting. A word of warning you will have to drive if you want to eat in the evening. The café adjoining serves an incredible delicious very inexpensive breakfast. There is also a candy shop/coffee shop in the building. Great coffee and good limited menu. I will stay here again. I definitely recommend this unusual hotel...

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Everything was incredible.
The Mathis couple, forgive me if I get their first names wrong, I am great at that but Kevin and Darlene go every extra step even the one that goes right off McCloud Falls for you.
We loved our room and just had a great time.
We have stayed at three places now over the years in Mc Cloud and some of those more than once but this was our first time here and will be the place for our family from now on in the town of McCloud especially with the Mathis Family at the wheel.

Cup Of Coffee,
The Blevins Family

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Nothing better than pulling off the highway onto a beautiful tree-lined road and finding a small town to explore. That's especially true if it is the middle of the week, during low season and you get the welcome that is right for you. Evening arrivals will find little to see or do in McCloud but take a stroll and find your lodging. Be sure to eat before you get to town, White Mointian Café serves a hearty breakfast (included in your Metcantile lodging costs) and lunch only.

Opening the hotel door is like stepping back in time. Don't let the wide dark staircase scare you. Long but comfortably spaced stairs bring you to the landing from which the rooms, a common area and event space are accessed. The Friday George room is small but more than adequate and quite comfortable. From the lovely slanted tin roof to the private bath with a small club foot bathtub, this room is historically intriguing. The perfectly framed view of Mt Shasta is a delight at thigh light and sunrise.

Don't bypass the opportunity to wander through the Mercantile, an eclectic combination of touristy treasures, candies and good house wears stuff. The proprietor is a likeable person with tales to tell of the renovations of the historic structure and the open friendly nature of the best hosts everywhere.

When in McCloud take a turn for the clean, simple and historically significant, Mercantile Hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near McCloud
McCloud Hotel
#6 of 6 in Dunsmuir
McCloud River Inn
McCloud River Inn
#1 of 4 in McCloud

Been to McCloud Mercantile Hotel? Share your experiences!