“Favorite overnight stop for Bay Area to Portland trips”
Review of Stoney Brook Inn

Stoney Brook Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in McCloud
Stoney Brook Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 McCloud B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon
“Favorite overnight stop for Bay Area to Portland trips”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We've stayed over at the Stoney Brook Inn fall, spring, summer, and winter (tricky driving if snowing) on trips betwen the Bay Area and Portland, and appreciate the peaceful simplicity, straightforward accomodation, and hearty breakfasts here. Has the friendly ambience of a minshuku (Japan) or traditional European inn.

Room Tip: We value the fact that the rooms are small.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Petaluma, California
Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

For years, I wondered what it was like to stay at the Stoney Brook Inn, as I checked into more expensive options down the street. I booked one night, then added a second, then again a third. This old logging boarding house does show it's age and could use a little sprucing up - yes, the wallpaper is peeling, the bathrooms are small, and the carpet could be replaced, but then you would not be paying $70 a night. Loved the warm breakfast and variety of choices that changed every day, as well as the coffee that is available at 7:00 AM. The staff is helpful and friendly, and the place just has 'good vibes'. Did not use the spa or hot tub. I stayed in room #8 and was perfectly content with a comfortable bed, peace and quiet, and excellent wifi connection. Will stay here again when I revisit McCloud. Do not understand the reviewers who give this a 'terrible' review - this is no less than 'very good' based on location, vibes, and value.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank pfefmeister
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 29 September 2013

The Inn is quite old, clean, and appears to have few recent updates. Staff were very friendly. I have been to Japan and there is a Japanese sense of hospitality and spirit. I was invited to view a traditional Japanese dance with live, authentic music in the morning. The hot tub is worn, but sits beneath huge trees that gave it an earthy feel. My first floor room was small, had a private bath, and was fine. Breakfast was good, but not exceptional.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Bushnell, Florida
Reviewed 26 July 2013

...and that is 100% right. I don't want to sound negative; overall our experience was pretty good, but be sure you know what you are buying. The building must have been very grand in its day, and sits well at the head of the town's street; it has been chopped up a bit, and our room, at least, was VERY small. A private bathroom had been added; we chose that instead of a shared bath in the hall. The staff and other guests were friendly. Here's where they shined: breakfast! Coffee and teas were available early; the breakfast room opened a little later. Nothing fancy, but really tasty eggs and potatoes and extras that set us up well for the day.

Room Tip: Private bathrooms cost just a bit more -- think before you book!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Oregon
Reviewed 13 July 2013

This is a lovely location..both the inn itself and the incredible views of Mt Shasta behind. Very centrally located in McCloud.Currently it feels rather rundown, but with just a few improvements, this Inn could be really lovely...Replacing he stained carpets in hallways and room would be one suggestion. We never got hot water from 2nd floor shower during our 3 night stay. As others have noted, however, the place is (generally) clean and breakfasts are good, and the hosts are friendly and hospitable. We had a room with a sink which was just fine for us (plenty of hot water in the sink, so we couldn't figure out why there was none in the shower!!). Am not sure if I would choose to stay there again, hence the title of my review is "mixed feelings".

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Hiromi made me feel just like a guest at her home. One evening I had a flat tyre whilst exploring in the woods; I was lost and there were roaming bears around. When I eventually got back late at night she cooked me a hot meal as there were no restaurants open. That's real hospitality.
The B&B is a little old sure, but it has its charms and for the reasonable price you get a small yet cosy room and lovingly prepared breakfast.
If your visiting Mt Shasta, McCloud and other surrounding towns are not too far by car and you get to experience old fashioned atmosphere and hospitality

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Kytt
London
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Negative comments in the prior Trip Advisor reviews caused me to veer away from reserving at the Stoney Brook Inn. My Japanese wife overruled me, since the Inn is run by Japanese who are interested in spirituality. She thought we should support the Inn by staying there.

The Inn is a former boarding house constructed in 1924 for male lumber industry employees. As a result, the interior of the Inn resembles (surprise, surprise) the interior of a boarding house. This is not a bad thing, but if you are expecting something else (e.g., an atmosphere like the inside of someone's home), I can see why you might come away with a negative reaction. I rather liked the Inn because it is an authentic slice of yesteryear (slightly chronologically jumbled). There were architectural fixtures and features that transported me back to my childhood in the 1950s/1960s. That is to say, then there were hotels that had been constructed in the 1920s and 1930s without much renovation that I came to know then, and here were the same wall surfaces and fixtures that I remembered from hotels of that era. The hallway light fixtures came directly from 1963--I had not seen them since my I left my childhood home, where we had exactly the same shades on the lights. I don't think the Inn was dirty or falling apart--it is just authentically old (few pseudo-historical articles). In our room, it was clear to see how the bathroom was an addition to the room, very likely constructed after 1924. Prior to the construction of the bathroom, the room must have been fairly good-sized. With the addition of the bathroom, the room was a little on the small side. The bathroom in our room--well, it was not dirty, but it was old (maybe from the 1940s?), and there was an issue with the hot water in the shower (just as one other reviewer noted). Mostly, though, the nostalgic effect overcame the drawbacks.

The breakfast was fine...nothing remarkable, but by no means bad.

The management and staff were pleasant. There were several Japanese guests in the Inn, as expected. My guess is that they were attracted to the Inn by the Japanese management. The Japanese guests seemed content with the Inn.

I could have checked "poor", "average", "very good" or "excellent" for this Inn--it all depends on how you look at the experience. My wife was content because she thought that the Inn had a positive Far Eastern/New Age spiritual vibe. To me, that vibe was scarcely noticeable. I thought it had an old fashioned atmosphere. I liked it well enough. It is not a luxury establishment, but it is also not as bad as some of the prior reviews had caused me to fear. Be ready to tolerate some imperfections for the retro-atmosphere.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Andlovingit
Also consider these accommodations in or near McCloud
McCloud Mercantile Hotel
#1 of 3 in McCloud
Mt. Shasta Inn and Suites
Mt. Shasta Inn and Suites
#4 of 9 in Mount Shasta

Been to Stoney Brook Inn? Share your experiences!