“Charming and magical cottage in the woods”
Review of La Petite Maison

La Petite Maison
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mendocino
La Petite Maison
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My partner and I booked this lovely cottage over the 4th of July weekend. We have high expectations and I have to say, we were blown away by how charming this little spot is, and how wonderful the owner, Mary is. The cottage is PERFECTLY located just 5-10 minutes from town, so all of the amenities are close by, yet it's nestled way back into the redwoods for a peaceful and secluded feeling. We felt like we were completely alone in our own private paradise. That said, Mary and her husband live on the property in their own home that is a completely separate dwelling. Mary's huge gorgeous garden is lush and concealing and serves as a barrier between the buildings, so not only are you surrounded by beauty, you have plenty of privacy.

The cottage is super cute with a fireplace and a coastal theme. Every detail was covered - I can't think of anything we would want for. It was fully furnished, including all kitchen implements and bathroom needs. It was quietly luxurious with a very comfortable bed, plenty of cozy seating, light and windows to the redwoods everywhere, and even a skylight over the bed (eyemasks provided if you wanted, but the angle was built right so we didn't need them). It was lovely to look at the stars from bed!

Furthermore, which I thought was above and beyond for a weekend rental, we were provided with fresh strawberries, bananas, eggs, milk, butter, English muffins, coffee, and tea. Everything one could wish for a morning snack or continental breakfast.

I would consider this a very eco-friendly place, with a compost, recycling, and water/heat usage consciousness. Not in an intrusive way or anything that took away from the visit - just simple cognizance of reducing environmental impact.

Mary contacted us upon booking with some great information, and then followed up the day prior to arrival with directions. She was very forgiving of our uncertain arrival time, so we made our way leisurely up the coast and simply called when we arrived. She gave us a thorough but brief introduction to everything we would need to know, and left us to enjoy the serenity. Upon checkout, she came over to take our picture and ensure we had enjoyed our stay. Lovely hospitality. Attentive without being intrusive. We could have gabbed for quite a while as she's a lovely person had our travel plans allowed!

I would highly recommend this place. If we visit the area again, there's no question where we will stay. Mendocino certainly has its share of very high end fancy places, and this is not going to be the equivalent of that by any stretch, but it was delightful, clean, pristine, and absolutely cozy. If you're seeking charming escape in the woods, I would highly recommend it. We enjoyed it thoroughly.

One final note - my partner is on AT&T and did not have cell service (to his great pleasure). I was on Verizon and did. He said he found a WiFi signal but I'm not sure if that was supposed to be there or not.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for La Petite Maison

Reviewed 9 July 2012

After suffering car troubles that stranded us in the area, and having reservations for Le Petite Maison that were for a few days from then, we decided to call and see if we could come early. Mary and Peter were very accommodating and had the place ready in a matter of hours...phew. We were as stressed as we could be when we arrived, a long few days on the road and sick car, I was shattered. It literally took about 17.5 minutes of being there for my worries to melt and for the relaxation to begin. This place is suitable as a base camp for exploring the area or as a self sufficient vacation home to spend time and relax. The decor was amazing, very country cottage chic, all amenities you need, full kitchen, beautiful bedroom and very welcoming hosts. I have very high praise for Le Petit Maison and for Mary and Peter who make the place what it is. I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: N/A, it's a cottage
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RWChalke
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Our time at the cottage was very special. Mary and Peter Zama have created a charming environment on their property that is very special.
The cottage is cozy and private, surrounded by the forest, a lovely, well tended garden, occasional deer and a very friendly pond of frogs.
Five minutes from Route 1 La Petite Maison provides all the solitude of the forest with quick access to the beaches and small towns all along the coast.
Mary has appointed the rooms with a fine eye towards detail, with cozy chairs and fantastic throws and good lighting, and Pete has packed in an amazing collection of books.
It was a wonderful three days. Thank you both.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dbsfca
Reviewed 13 February 2012

My wife and I spent a fantastically relaxing and enjoyable week-end in Mendocino, and our stay at "La Petit Maison" was the highlight of the trip. The house is absolutely perfect: richly equipped, immaculately clean and wonderful in every respect. The hosts, Mary and Peter, could not have been more welcoming, or helpful or gracious; they went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed and made us feel like family members.

The cabin is less than five minutes away from the city of Mendocino, and yet it feels like a different world altogether: private, quiet and in the middle of the woods.

We will definitely go back. Thank you Mary and Peter for a great week-end!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AlbertoDeRoma
Reviewed 18 November 2011

My husband and I stayed here for three days and nights on our road trip through the area. It was the only rental we stayed in so I can tell you - it was so much better than a B&B. We loved this little cabin set back in the woods - it was so comfortable and cozy (although quite spacious for two people) and it seemed like every detail and every possible need a guest might have had been considered. (I won't spoil the surprise by listing them all.) We really enjoyed the wonderful cozy living room where we could hang out and plan our day in the morning or relax while making dinner in the evening. And we loved the skylight and the windows looking out to the woods. The location is great, too - not too far from town for all the amenities it offered, but tucked away like a little hideaway. Our trip was in November, but I can image how lovely it would be to visit in the warmer weather, too, when you could spend some time enjoying the beautiful gardens. But I also wouldn't have minded a rainy day that we could just have spent hanging out inside reading on the couches! Basically, we just didn't stay long enough! Above of all we really enjoyed our hosts and wanted to spend more time with them! Mary and Peter are interesting, funny, and gracious and their place is perfect as a jumping off point for seeing the area or a place to just relax and take it easy. You should go! I hope we can return soon.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tareth M
Reviewed 30 August 2011

We stayed here towards the end of July and the place was awesome! Very clean, quiet and relaxing! Mary is the sweetest and made us feel at home! The weather could not have been better! We are from the bay area where the summers can get pretty hot and the weather here was just absoluely perfect! This is a wonderful place to stay and is the perfect size for 2 people. The grounds are very well kept, with fresh flowers in the house when we arrived. We were able to eat our meals at the cottage (big plus having a propane bbq there) as well as go to downtown Mendocino since it's very close by. We can't wait to come back!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Erin422
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Super appearance, completely relaxing, Gorgeous decor and graceful deer too )

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendocino
Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites
#6 of 25 in Mendocino
Blue Door Inn
Blue Door Inn
#9 of 25 in Mendocino

Been to La Petite Maison? Share your experiences!