“Quiet and Private”

Sweetwater Inn and Spa
Ranked #14 of 25 Mendocino B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 July 2012

We stayed in the Redwood Cottage which is on the other side of the highway. It was quiet. We had a lovely outside area that was fenced in with its own hot tub. The inside was charming. The bed was comfortable. A dehumidifer needs to run as the room does have some mold smell. The hot tub water was clean,however the bottom was sandy and the DVD player didn't work. The fireplace was the only heat source and might be on the chilly side if the weather was colder than 60.

Room Tip: Very quiet across the highway.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shanti108

Reviewed 1 May 2012

The place looks charming and I really love redwood tubs, so I went for it. The changing room was dirty and smelled bad. The sauna was hot but again, it smelled bad. That bothered me a bit, but I could have handled it. The worst thing was that the water in the tub appeared dirty, with lots of skin flakes and hair. I tried removing some of it with an old tool they keep in the room, but that was also dirty. I thought there would probably be enough chorine in the water to kill any bacteria, but I was wrong. One week later I developed hot tub pseudomonas, which is a skin infection that can occur when the level of chlorine in the water is not well controlled. It took me over two months of looking as if I had the measles from my waist down and two cycles of antibiotics to solve the problem. I went to a dermatologist to find out what was going on and I was told this can happen if the water is not changed often enough and if people do not scrub the inside of the tub and do not follow the proportions of chlorine required. Believe me, I thought hard before writing this review, because I am supportive of small businesses and I know everyone is hurting, but I feel that if they do not care about my health as a customer, perhaps they should not be in business.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank Lonnie k
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We started off here for a hot tub appt and ended up renting a room last minute due to our current hotel being horrible - the room we booked was the Mendocino View East. It was awesome. The staff here is great and the accommodations are top notch. We will definitely travel here again!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2012

For all those who are a bit more concerned about money and wish to have an interesting night in Mendocino ask for the Late Night Spa Room. At half of the cost of a normal room you get your own outdoor jacuzzi and sauna. The shower is also outside and the bed is pretty tiny (as the receptionist said: you really have to like the person you share it with) and you can only check in after 9.30 but overall who cares when you are looking at the stars in your own jacuzzi ;)

Room Tip: The Late Night Spa room should only be chosen if you are trying to save money... but if you are it i...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emanuele D
Reviewed 25 December 2011

My friend and I decided to schedule a hot tub and massage at the Sweetwater Garden Spa. The B&B is located next to where we were staying, the Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn. I called on Friday, 12/23/11 to see if they could fit us in that evening, and they did. They were very accomodating and helpful. We did get lost trying to find the spa. We walked along the alley from the B&B. Then had to wander our way through the deck-like entry until we finally found the spa. I'm really glad we did find it! The hot tub was a private wooden tub for 2. They provided a robe, slippers and a bag if you don't bring them. We were in the tub for close to 30 minutes, then were walked to get our massages. It was very relaxing! I will go back if I ever make it back to Mendo!!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 September 2011

I can't believe all the bad reviews that are posted on trip advisor for this hotel. My wife and I have stayed here several times and are going again in a few days.
All the different rooms we have stayed in have been comfortable and clean. The decorations of the rooms are all individual and more like you would find in somebodies home, not like you find in a corporate chain hotel.
The location of the hotel could not be much better. You are within easy walking distance of any place in the town of Mendocino with lots of places to eat or shop. The ocean is right across the street and Mendocino Headlands state park is a few blocks away.
Our favorite room/suite is one of the old water towers with a deck on the roof. You have a 360 degree view of the ocean and Mendocino from up there.
Yes, the main hot tub is clothing optional, if that bothers you there is an optional privat tub you can rent. The tubs are made from redwood and are clean and clorinated.
The rates are very reasonable for Mendocino. You will have no problem spending 3 or 4 times the price for some of the other places in or around town.

Room Tip: Redwood Water Tower has a rooftop deck, a full kitchen and separate sleeping and living rooms (with...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travelprofi
Reviewed 19 August 2011

After considering several options for my stay, I settled on The Sweetwater Inn and Spa.
$125.00 for a large room, king size bed, and a generous view of Mendocino Main Street,
a historic church and the pacific ocean.
Clear skies or foggy, the ambiance was magical and so relaxing and comfortable.
Very friendly check-in process, three hours earlier than posted, walking distance to fine dining. and easy parking in front.
There is no breakfast as part of your stay. Not that big of a deal.
The spa is free for guests and no additional charge, clothing optional group hot tub as well as private tubs. A bonus attraction for those that like to soak.
Was well worth the time spent there.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo