“Beautiful old house with great ocean view”
other traveller has booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

St. Petersburg, Florida
“Alarming”
Reviewed 15 February 2017 for a stay in January 2017
people found this review helpful

Images online can be helpful, or they can be deceiving. Images can not capture the feeling of a home cleaned and sat unrented, so much time aging has set in. Vacasa rental lists multiple properties. I had a hopeful intention this would be a professional rental experience. I rented this home for a lease on a condo and closing date on the place of my dreams. Intentions were pleasant, and I did have a long rental, so I was unsure what to make of the items found unacceptable in this house. I wanted the best; the things unfolded over more than the first 24 hours. The final issues resulted in an evacuation on Monday, January 9, 2017, not the scheduled Check out January 14, 2017.

Day . It was a long scary drive on the edge of a cliff to get to this house. I was glad to make it by check in at 4. Some odd plywood contraption is blocking back door. I am unable to open it from the inside of the home. It is not a storm door. It is a pieced together flapping aged multiple piece contraption hinged to the back door and closed by two hooks accessible only from the outer deck. No cell service. I realize I am nowhere near the town and need to drive a few miles to actual Mendocino for supplies. Almost pitch dark when arriving at a house. All firewood was soaking wet and no fire starters. I had not read the book and had rushed in and out for food only.The house appeared clean, but upon opening refrigerator, laundry and dishwasher mildew overtook the air. Day 2 the attempt to wash all the towel in the house. Dust is subtle on towels. These felt creepy to the touch. Like wet hands felt dirtier after upstairs bathroom hand towels. The washer smelled horrible, like mildew and rotting rubber. I was dry heaving and throwing in loading hoping for a fresh scent to appear. I found a can of Lysol under the sink and attacked the smell with a spray of chemical hope. Night 2 early AM, a mouse, appeared under the daybed in the front room. ( I am terrified and traveling with a dog hoping she will protect me.) We leave to walk to the park in the day hoping for adventure and salvaging a miserable house. Night 3 The realization the upstairs bed, the only one with the view is terrible to sleep. It feels vintage and unchanged from 1960's era. I move to the basement room. The add-on in the house is dark but has a porch. Skip ahead Day 4, to Saturday night of the storm. I had seen news reports, had seen one flashlight plugged into the wall in the lower bedroom and one lantern in the mouse room( neither working order I would find out). The wind took over about sunset, and the trees swayed so tightly to the house my dog began to cower and shiver. That back plywood thing was flapping about, and there was nothing to secure it open. If the door were hooked externally, no light would enter the ghastly home or free flapping. I attempted to use a door opener left by the front door to hold it open.
The wind drove us downstairs to the basement. Middle of the night a banding so intense my dog and I cower under the covers. Day 5 I wake to find that plywood door flapping open, cracked and the back door wide open. The door holder was in the doorway. Sunday the power went out early AM. The storm was intense. The phone set up in the house was a rotary dial. I was unaware touch phone could even make that dial sound. The rotary dial is not compatible with computer phone auto systems that provide information in an emergency in Mendocino County. I thought it would pass, quickly right? No luck, no working flashlights, no info to know the road info on the limited options in and out of the area. Day 5, I light fire upstairs and take one working candle to shower. Wet, and holding a towel I move the candle to brush teeth. Moving the candle results in an alarm going off. It was so loud and long. I hoped Fire Dept would come. I wondered if it was a Carbon Monoxide monitor and if the fireplace was doing it. I scrambled for my belongings. Opened the door and put everything outside and loaded my car for an escape. I left terrified and at the point had had enough of the house to deem it unacceptable and unsafe in an emergency. I called Vacasa in my evacuation and left a message explaining the urgency and reason for my evacuation. I have had a series of dismissive, non-responsible and frankly disrespectful communication with Vacasa. They would have rather me sit terrified in FT. Bragg the only area with limited power in the over 4000 person area affected by the power outage that took more than 48 to repair. I evacuated and encountered downed trees, mudslides, and long turn arounds to find the one open road to exit the area to safety. I had a voice mail in this time assuring me management would bring me a flashlight, firewood, and water. It was not only too late, but that was also nearly not enough to have deemed it acceptable to stay. Nor was that voicemail at all comforting in a terrifying experience. I conclude to say one-night credit returned is not nearly compensation for this experience. "Why didn't I return?' was their last question. I ran for my life. I decided the risk of staying in mice and mildew infested home in a storm for multiple days with no cell service, power or means to communicate with the outside world was not worth it. I contacted VACASA for assistance in terrifying evacuation and multiple subsequent conversations. I was mistaken to think they would be professional, accountable or even offer proportionate compensation for financial loss on the rental post evacuation. I was offered one-day rental as their comp[ensation for the day of "loss of power." Power was out 48 ours actually, and I evacuated, but that should be compensated if their clock of return on rental is a clock on the power outage, not an exact compensation for client oriented result. I was a check, and my extreme emotional distress and the total value of each terrible house failure in total created on myself and my dog mean nothing.

You avoid this company because there is little quality control. They make you find the problem and complain to have problems fixed. You must be miserable and complain before resolution occurs during vacation. I would rather book with a company or person that cares for their properties, and you enter finding no problems. If you were to find yourself in an emergency in a well-maintained home, there would be less terror and more general concern for the storm. Chanticleer rental was alarming.

I deserve a full refund.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
MrsCarr20...
Redding, California
“Great view, but outdated and very dirty...”
Reviewed 11 April 2015 for a stay in April 2015
people found this review helpful

The two good things about this property are the view and the price. However, there are many downsides to this home that unfortunately outweigh the good. You are greeted at the door with an old, musty smell (be prepared to smell like that until you return home and shower). Yes, the house is old. But some updates would make this home an even better rental worth more per night. It is in a great, quiet location close to both Fort Bragg and Mendocino. There is large wood paneling almost everywhere, which makes the home very dark and uninviting along with the low ceilings and lack of windows on the back side. The floor on the main and upper level is wood and brick. There is a large area rug in the living room. The furniture is not very functional or comfortable…3 arm chairs and a smaller loveseat would not accommodate the max occupancy of 8. One armchair is long overdue to be replaced, with ill-fitting patches on the arm rests. The decor is most likely original and highly outdated. Probably the most disappointing part of this rental was the dirtiness. My guess as this rental is considered "pet-friendly" because there was white dog hair EVERYWHERE - on the lone rug, the entire floor, stuck to the wood paneled ceiling in the kitchen (yuck), stuck to the pepper shaker I found in the cupboard, in my bedding. You name it, we found it there. And by the time we left, we were sneezing and covered with it. The floor-level TV didn't help since my two young boys just wanted to lounge on the floor to watch cartoons. Prepare to hear everything from every room while staying here. The upstairs room that looks out to the ocean does not have full walls, so getting to sleep while others are awake is next to impossible. Chilly nights when you'd like to wrap up in a blanket didn't quite work out since we were unable to find any additional ones. We were provided with 2 kitchen towels and 1 garbage bag for the 5 days we were there. Some windows would open but not close (hence those chilly nights where an additional blanket would be helpful). The deck was quite nice to sit and enjoy the sunset. The fireplace was perfect to make s'mores with the kids. The lower level was updated and very nice, with a much more comfortable bed than the others. Those of us sleeping upstairs did not enjoy the beds whatsoever. Would love to return if some things were updated and the house had a good deep-clean throughout.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The ocean view
Liked least: How dirty the home was
Travelling group: Young Children
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Recommended for:
People with pets
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Idorn
Orinda, California
“Beautiful old house with great ocean view”
Reviewed 4 April 2015 for a stay in April 2015
people found this review helpful

We stayed four days in the house beginning of April and it was fantastic. The view from the living room on the ocean is just breathtaking. The central fireplace makes it very cosy in the evenings. The house and interior are old but everytthing is clean and functional. The art on the walls, the furniture, and the wooden wall panels match perfectly. We slept very well in the beds.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Travelling group: Teenagers
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing