“Outdated and PINK”

Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mendocino
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Some call it historic I call it outdated and over priced. The woman at the front desk acted annoyed that I rang the desk bell and rushed our check in. You think at $349 a night they could greet you with a bit more of a smile. We just stayed at Harbor View Inn in Santa Barbara and it was 10x the hotel and they gave us a complimentary bottle of wine, turned down the bed and gave us chocolates - this place acts like they could care less. When I opened the door to our garden room it was shocking- old crazy flower patterned carpet, lace curtains, crazy worn burgundy furniture, pink walls and old bed spread. I guess some folks like the old antique look- but not for me. I didn't find it charming or inviting, especially at that price- $150 maybe.

Room Tip: Garden room has no ocean view but spacious.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites

Reviewed 6 September 2012

I am writing this review whilst staying in room 7 in this hotel. Their website advertises it as a room with a bath. This room has a shower not a bath. When I queried it at reception, I was told that in America, with bath means with bathroom! My wife and I are here for two nights.

There is literally one drawer in which to put our clothes.

Unfortunately our room is over the kitchen from where there has been so much banging noise that I had to ask the night receptionist to check where the noise was coming from and either to get it stopped or to move us. That was when I found out we were over the kitchen.

I am really not impressed.

Oh, and by the way, I am a senior citizen who is registered disabled. No one offered to help us carry our suitcase to our bedroom.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Go eat the eggs benedict there, you can't go wrong. Absolutely the best I've every had and we love our bene's! Show up before 11am as it gets real crowded then. We stayed at their sister property, the Hill House Inn which was real nice but just a continental breakfast so do eat at the Monterey Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 September 2012

In a charming tourist town, the Mendocino Hotel is probably the one original hotel. The original building is on main street and the annex, where we stayed, is a block behind it. The annex has generously-sized rooms with fireplace and modern amenities and was built perhaps thirty years ago. A nice bottle of red wine waited us. The parlor and restaurant in the main building are very nice and lavishly decorated with period furniture and art. The restaurant service and food are very good with the breakfast being particularly generous. This was a very nice base for our two-day visit and I recommend it.

Room Tip: The annex is nice but I do not know what the antique rooms in the main building are like.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 August 2012

I'd describe this as "frayed elegance." We were on a TravelZoo coupon, $100/night + $50 voucher for the Victorian Restaurant and one for a free wine tasting at the lobby bar. At this price, it was good value. I'd not pay the $300+ list price.

Our room (#325) was upstairs, with a splinter of an ocean view and views through the garden trees, It was not a suite, but larger than many suites we've had. The sink in the marble bathroom was cracked--no problem for us, but it has leaked. Wallpaper and marble had been skillfully repaired--but not skillfully enough that repairs weren't noticeable. The shower head looked frozen, but it could be turned to provide three levels of pressure. I LOVE the stinging massage shower. Towel bars were heated, but the heat mechanism had been turned off (probably a long time ago).

Bed was much more comfortable than ours at home (note to self: time to buy a new mattress), but down comforter was too warm during our stay. Duralogs(???) gave nice firelight, but no heat.

We parked on the street instead of in the parking lot because the street parking was much closer to our room.

Walked through the gardens to get from here to there but didn't spend much time there. They are well maintained.

We ate at the Victorian restaurant in the hotel because we had the $50 voucher. It was great. The waitress (Alexis) paced everything just right, and the food was wonderful--especially the tarte tatin (so good that we had it again the next day; it's also on the breakfast menu). Earlier, we'd had the lollaberri(sp?) tart at the garden--it too was wonderful. These folks know how to make pastries.

This two days was certainly good value for the money we paid--but we'd never have paid the listed $600+.

We saved $3,250 when I didn't buy a really nice bracelet at the Old Gold jewelry shop. But if you have that money to spend, spend it there.

Room Tip: I can't figure out how to amend swimming pool and fitness center ratings. The hotel has neither.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank donsandstrom
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Jenine behind the bar is great. Funny, personable very attentive to customers. Lots of laughs sitting at the bar with Jenine bartending.Dena at the front desk was also very helpful and pleasent. Mendocino is such a great little town. Friendly locals, great beaches and the logging road along big river is a beautiful walk.

Room Tip: garden suites great rooms
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank aloha57_12
Reviewed 20 August 2012

The lobby and outside of the hotel were charming and appealing. Our room however was disappointing and not in keeping with the lobby or the price. There was a hole in our top sheet the size of a quarter. There was a sandal under the bed leading us to question how the room had been cleaned. The wallpaper was peeling in several places and there were water stains on the ceiling and one wall. The room was also extremely small as was the bathroom which had just a metal shower stall.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendocino
MacCallum House Inn
#2 of 2 in Little River
Blackberry Inn
Blackberry Inn
#8 of 25 in Mendocino

Been to Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites? Share your experiences!