“Old and out dated rooms”

Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mendocino
Reviewed 6 July 2013

My husband and I saw this hotel recieved positive reviews so decided to give it a try. It was a definite disappointment, and we would never stay there again. We had a garden room- it looked like nothing had been updated in about 20 years and is rather run down looking. The comforter on the bed looked old, the bathroom was in need of a facelift, and the room looked more dingy than "historic". The only positive was the location, but we will be looking for other accommodations during our next visit. This was way overpriced for a hotel that needs some attention.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Liz C

Reviewed 5 July 2013

We stopped in Mendocino late in the day after a long drive up from San Francisco. After driving through town a bit, we spied the Mendocino Hotel. We love staying in old city hotels, when they are affordable, so we decided to check it out.

When we walked in, we knew it was our kind of place - beautiful old-world-styled lobby, big fire going in an extraordinary fireplace, sumptuous Victorian couches, people sitting around reading or just having a drink.

Fortunately, they had one of their "European" rooms available at a reasonable (for this kind of hotel) price. We were excited to get to stay! I guess most Americans don't like sharing a bath, so the price on these rooms is less than the others. But still, the room was clean, stylish and very sweet, even if it was a little small. But old hotels had small rooms which just goes with the nature of this kind of hotel experience, so no big deal. The room opened on to the second floor deck and we were able to have coffee on it the next morning looking out over the Bay. Besides, the lobby and bar area are so cool, there is no real need to spend much time in your room, if you aren't in bed! (No TV, but again, that is what you expect in this style of Hotel. They DO have a decent wi-fi connection, so techies won't suffer too much.)

We very much enjoyed our dinner and the drinks at the hotel bar as well: crisp cold martinis and great food.

The hotel's people were all very nice and accommodating, especially the young lady who checked us in. When I mentioned a problem with the shared bath, the assistant manager immediately put it on a work order to be addressed, so I know they care. If you like old hotels - and all that comes with THAT - then staying at the Mendocino Hotel will be a wonderful experience and perfectly in keeping with the spirit of Mendocino.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid of the shared baths! There are 4 all right together so you won't end up wait...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Victor J
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Our tour group stayed here and out of the 20 some rooms we had there that many different types of rooms, so it is hard to review. I had the Room 13 previously mentioned, there is no elevator, which the rather rude lady at the front desk stated "This is a historical building", their response to just about every question or concern. They should just hand out a card with that on it. Once I dragged everything upstairs, after the lady said there was no one to help me, I found a quaint (old) room. The antique furniture was interesting, the lack of a tv was no big issue (remember it is a historical building), and the step up to the bathroom was always fun to remember. At least I had my own bathroom, rooms 1 & 2 had to use a common bath in the hallway. My room faced onto a balcony with a view to the ocean, very nice, but if you have inconsiderate neighbors the noise could be an issue. I searched for a while to find the air conditioning switch, gave up and went to bed. The next day I found out the air conditioning was an open window (no screen), not a great option for a single lady, but it worked during the day. Maximum a/c was opening the window all the way and using a stick nicely provided to hold it up. My bathroom shade did not cover all of the window, oh well, any one wanting to look in was welcome. Thankfully my neighbors were nice and everyone went to bed early so I slept well.

Other folks had more modern rooms with a/c and large screen tvs, but some locations were less than ideal, one room backed up to the hotel dumpster, nice aroma (but it was historic aroma I'm sure). Getting your luggagge across the parking lot with pavers, down a path, across a street and up the stairs provided more than enough exercise for this senior citizen.

The location is great, and the view to the ocean is awesome. Not sure that it made up for the other issues. If certain features are important, ask when you make your reservation and check out the room before you unload your luggage.

Room Tip: look at room assigned before you unload your luggage
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Slotmachinequeen
Reviewed 29 June 2013

We went to the Bistro for a light dinner. The staff was friendly, the food good enough, but biting into the hamburger I heard a "clunk" as my teeth bit something solid and thought a chunk of tooth had broken off. I brought a 3/8" cube out from between my teeth. Looked like glass; the waitress said, "no, it looks like the stuff (salt?) we serve the oysters on." She took it with her to "consult with the chef", never confirmed its origin, and comped nothing on the meal. Not an ideal end to a meal.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BWAF
Reviewed 16 June 2013

I made a reservation on the phone while traveling. Arrived 4 hours later and I was sent up to #13, our room, climbing the stairs with all our luggage. Tried to unlock dolor and a man came to the door. He had rented the same room I was told I had. I went downstairs with all our luggage and she then put us in a garden suite(which I really did not want). I asked the lady, who I think is the same person I talked to on the phone and reserved the room with, when did the man check into room #13, she looked and told me 2 days he had been there. When I checked out of hotel today I asked the man at the desk how many days had the man been in #13... He said he had just arrived the night b4. The same as me. The woman had lied to me! Upon leaving the man said he would put in the computer my experience and give me a good rate the next time. Not sure of there will be a next time. We've stayed there probably 5 different times because of the location but next time will stay someplace further from town and nicer. Easy to drive into town. Little River Inn looks really nice.... NEXT TIME!

• Stayed: June 2013
7  Thank Evonatlas
drchef, General Manager at Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2013

Management is extremely sorry that this guest did not have the experience that they were hoping for. Professionalism is our goal at all times and when we fail we realize that our customers are the ones who suffer and that is never our intention. Front desk staff have been given special training regarding follow through which was the reason that the clerk was unaware of the occupied room. All front desk staff have acknowledged that they understand the importance of satisfying our guest's and ensuring that their stay is a pleasant one.

Reviewed 13 June 2013

We visit Mendocino every year and love the town and the hotel! The atmosphere, decor, oldy-wordy feel, the staff and the food all make our time at the Mendocino Hotel feel special, and like we have stepped back in time. Would recommend it to anyone who wants a special weekend in a beautiful corner of California.

Room Tip: The European style rooms have more character but the Garden Suites have more space.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AmullOxford
Reviewed 6 June 2013

There was hair in the bedding. Not just one, but many. The pad between the mattress and bottom sheet was covered in hair. Housekeeping was gone, so the lady at the front desk brought us some "clean" sheets for our bed. The new sheets were just a filthy and the employee had to go get more.The room was rundown. Wallpaper was peeling off of the walls.

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank KATP0
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendocino
MacCallum House Inn
#16 of 25 in Mendocino
Little River Inn
Little River Inn
#1 of 2 in Little River

Been to Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites? Share your experiences!