“Loved it!”

Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mendocino
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Let me start by saying we got a great deal on Travelzoo. But even if we did not have a deal this place is very much worth returning to. Our room was large with a comfortable bed, clean, quiet and filled with Victorian decor. Our little building was surrounded by beautiful flowers. We loved it. We had our own private porch. The place has a main Inn with a wonderful lobby facing the ocean. We had wine and cheese in the the lobby and the staff was very friendly and helpful.
We were around back and we were in the garden rooms. From what I have read these rooms are larger and better than the ones in the mother house. Everything in Mendocino is in walking distance. It was great.

Room Tip: Choose a garden room. It even has a fireplace.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank artymom
There are newer reviews for Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites

Reviewed 13 August 2013

My friend and I wanted a girls day out short trip and we decided to go to Mendocino. The day we arrived was raining but the fresh air of the ocean mixed with rain was interesting. We booked the hotel through Travaelzoo.com and it was a special package. It includes a double bed suite in a Victorian style home surrounded by nice garden. But because there was another group checking in the next day using up our room, we were upgraded to a King size suite. At first I was told that we would be charged for the difference but when we checked out, they didn't. The King size suite had a 4 posts king size bed that was so high that we were required to climb a 3 step ladder to get up onto the bed. I was scared of rolling off the bed at night so I slept in the sofa bed which was totally OK. The staff at reception was very friendly, gave us directions and brochure of local areas. Our booking included wine and cheese but since we didn't drink wine, we asked to have sparkling cider and cheese. There were two eating areas in the hotel, one is by the bar which was like a cafe and the other only opened in the evening which is a full size restaurant. I had to eat gluten free so I brought my own gluten free bread. I ordered a salad and asked the staff to toast my bread, no problem! The salad was really good. But the best was the restaurant. The chef made special accommodation for my gluten free needs. Try the Mendocino oysters, out of the world. It was so good that we ate double order and then went back the next day to eat again. I also brought my own gluten free pasta and the chef would make it to my liking. This is a hotel that I would go back another time. We had a great time for our 2 day girls day out. The sun came out the day we checked out. Mendocino coast is beautiful! We totally loved it. The only disappointment is finding out the Glass Sand Beach didn't have any more glass sand. Most of it was removed in the 70s by the City and the rest was cleaned out by tourists for souvinier. We were hoping to photo what a glass sand beach would be like. Oh, well.

Room Tip: Get a suite surrounded by garden. Not the main hotel because the main hotel units don't have pr...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank alang-alang
Reviewed 22 July 2013

This place was old and eclectic, which made it fun. We loved the wrap around porch and the gardens were amazing. I was surprised at how small Mendocino was, but it was so charming, and this hotel fit the ambiance well. I wish our stay was longer!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MerMacD32
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Once again, we had a magical stay and were treated like royalty! Because of my disability we stay in one of the garden suites. We have a favorite room. We were there for a week this time to escape the valley heat wave. Our bed was a little broken down and when I called the front desk to tell them, we had a new mattress within an hour! The service is impeccable. The location is great. Room service is FAST and the food is HOT!! We go here at least twice per year and will go back again and again. LOVE IT . Thanks to all who made yet another stay fantastic!

1  Thank jacksondlz
Reviewed 14 July 2013

First, let me say that this is a wonderful location and it has a really cute lobby BUT the room is just too small and the bathroom is not en-suite but down the hall. There is no air conditioning and even on a cool June night the room was stuffy. I slept with the window wide open to a walkway for all the rooms. The bed barely fit in the room but it was comfortable if not a little too high. You could not sit on it with your feet on the floor, like to tie your shoes.

This room was very expensive for what it was - kind of like a boarding room. Maybe $60, but certainly not close to $200. I felt like I was supplementing the guests in the larger rooms.

Oh, and the receptionist raved about the early morning view from the balcony? Well, that was a large, ugly roof of the building (dirty metal) with a sideways possible view, on a walkway for all rooms not an individual balcony.

From the lobby you would never guess the room situation.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank peskykitty
drchef, General Manager at Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

We always appreciate constructive comments regarding our facility. The property consists of the original historic building in which the guests stayed where the rooms have been designed to be historically correct and our Garden Suites which are located behind the main hotel. We must always keep in mind that in 1878 there were no king sized beds and the accommodations at most hotels were considerably smaller than today's standards. There are two suites with sitting rooms, en suite bathroom and private balconies overlooking the ocean located in the historical portion of our hotel that are more spacious than the European style room with the share bath down the hall. Virtually none of the establishments in Mendocino have air-conditioning ; and, the balcony overlooking the Pacific Ocean faces south where as the East and West balconies do not enjoy that view. The newly constructed Garden Suites however boast large walk in closets, comfortable sofas, fireplaces, private balconies with deck chairs, flatscreen TVs and other attributes which can be enjoyed but an increased cost.

Reviewed 10 July 2013

The staff and services were excellent. The ambiance was fantastic. Great place to go and relax. You can't go wrong. We were in the Hesser House. Very comfortable and quiet. The food in the restaurant and bistro was extremely good. Breakfast and dinner were well worth you time and $$.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to be exceptional. Only ones I would stay away from are in the main Hotel with s...
Reviewed 6 July 2013

My husband and I saw this hotel recieved positive reviews so decided to give it a try. It was a definite disappointment, and we would never stay there again. We had a garden room- it looked like nothing had been updated in about 20 years and is rather run down looking. The comforter on the bed looked old, the bathroom was in need of a facelift, and the room looked more dingy than "historic". The only positive was the location, but we will be looking for other accommodations during our next visit. This was way overpriced for a hotel that needs some attention.

6  Thank Liz C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendocino
MacCallum House Inn
#2 of 2 in Little River
Blackberry Inn
Blackberry Inn
#8 of 25 in Mendocino

Been to Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites? Share your experiences!