Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites
US$274
US$218
Little River Inn(Little River)
US$197
Heritage House Resort(Little River)(Great Value!)
US$203
US$186
Coast Inn & Spa(Fort Bragg)
US$111
US$87
Hotels.com
Shoreline Cottages(Fort Bragg)(Great Value!)
US$143
Holiday Inn Express Fort Bragg(Fort Bragg)(Great Value!)
US$145
US$142
Surf Motel and Gardens(Fort Bragg)(Great Value!)
US$73
Emerald Dolphin Inn & Mini Golf(Fort Bragg)(Great Value!)
US$113
US$110
Hotels.com
Anchor Lodge Motel(Fort Bragg)
US$72
  • Restaurant
Harbor Lite Lodge(Fort Bragg)(Great Value!)
US$136
US$113
Hotels.com
All reviewsthe main hotelshared balconycharming hotelstep back in timemain streetrooms are smallvictorian stylein townwindow seatglass of wineeggs benedictroad tripsitting areaview of the oceansan franciscofireplacecoast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We had such a wonderful time here. The view from our room is hands done, one of the prettiest I have ever seen. The bed was comfortable. This is a historic hotel. The floors are a little uneven and everything doesn't look perfect like the Marriott. But, that is part of the charm. We loved it. Every person we came in contact with was very friendly. The front desk people were very nice. The restaurant food was excellent but pricey. It's a fairly easy walk to the beach (we are 53). It's literally right in front of the hotel. We went on a hike down a path between the gas station and the church (walking distance from the hotel) and the path led to an absolutely breathtaking view. I'm fairly out of shape but I was able to get there and back without much problem.

The room we were in was filled with antiques and cool old pictures. There is a deck with chairs where you can enjoy the ocean view and relax. We had a room with a bathroom and shower because those are must haves for us :-) The tub was old and huge and classic. Water pressure was good. And, we could open our windows and enjoy the sound of the ocean.

We spent two nights here and completely loved our experience.

Room Tip: When you make reservations, ask what is in your room so there are no surprises.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chillami
Reviewed 10 December 2013

When I say sort of a novelty, I mean that we don't often stay in hotels without bathrooms in the room, but in the spirit of adventure and not having any other options due to our procrastination in booking and the July 4th weekend (2011), we were all for it. We arrived and were checked in by a not overly friendly sort of middle-aged woman with really long hair. I can't remember how this came about, if we asked or if she asked if we would like an upgrade, but one way or another she let us know that there were a number of other rooms available but was not willing to upgrade us for free (which of course we would never expect, but many hotels do, and there's little sense in not giving someone a better room and therefore a better impression of your hotel if you can do so, instead of leaving that room empty on the off chance that someone will wander in at 5 PM to claim one-we checked in late afternoon). So we were happy with our little room with its quite small bed, barely a double, very tall too, but kind of fun, like a boat or something, and our room sink. The one thing I will say about the hotel is that is has a lovely porch on the second floor with a view of the water, and our room opened out onto the side of it, so we had a nice glass of wine out there. The town was cute and nearby walking distance. The bathroom doors looked just like hotel room doors so it was a bit confusing at first but kind of fun/old-fashioned to go across the hall to the bathroom. It didn't seem to be too much of an issue to get a shower in the morning, there seemed to be enough options. I doubt I would stay here again but if it were cheap (and only if it were cheap) and I was new to the area, I would give it a try again for the first time.

Room Tip: Get one near a bathroom/on a porch
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank miamiamia
Thomas K, General Manager at Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Wishing this guest would have reviewed us earlier as the staff member who was manning the front desk is no longer with us. True July 4th weekend is our busiest time of the year and complimentary upgrading during that time of year is not normally done as we fill up rapidly during that season. For future stays I definitely recommend staying in a Victorian room with a queen sized bed or one of our Traditional or Deluxe Garden rooms that have king beds and private baths, especially for our taller guests as they find those rooms more comfortable.

Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I plan our California coast trips around this wonderful Victorian gem. Over the years we have tried probably every level of accommodation here and while I highly recommend the garden rooms in back for their comfort (great mattresses and fireplaces), there are no bad accommodations. The public rooms are unbeatable for ambiance. All food and beverages on the premises are yummy. Be sure to try their porridge if you like hot cereal. I fell in love with it and now replicate the mix of grains at home. Please at least tarry a bit in their lobby and explore the grounds. There is a reason they have won a ton of awards. Your experiences here will outshine others you have in the area...mine have!

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank SuzyFor
Thomas K, General Manager at Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

As always we appreciate the wonderful feedback from guests who know us well and love what we have to offer. The porridge is also a favorite of mine Amaranth is the secret grain that gives it such a unique flavor. Looking forward to your next visit and hoping we outshine ourselves in service and friendliness.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

This is our fifth stay at the Mendocino Hotel...always a delight! Thank you for wonderful accommodations, close to the water. Your restaurant is fabulous as well! We really enjoy the cottage rooms which are super quiet. Can't wait to return :)

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank knowleshill
Reviewed 18 November 2013

To start I will say I've visited this hotel three times before and enjoyed it every time but not so this time. I asked for and was given one of our favourite rooms (#24) which overlooks the ocean and has an entrance onto a large balcony that is used commonly by other guests. Sunset and blustery ocean provided a wonderful start to the evening. Unfortunately the hotel could not come close to matching "mother natures" performance. A rather load band accompanied by an overly enthusiastic drummer played until nearly 2AM and although we tried, sleep was impossible. Next came the visit of several members of next doors audience who decided to carry on (not quietly) throughout the hotels corridors - this continued until after 4AM. The front desk did not seem able (or interested) in trying to keep noise down. Normally, we'd just roll over and sleep in but unfortunately we had to get up at 6:30AM in order to get to our next destination. Will I come back - yes but I'll definitely check to see if next door is planning on having a band and if so I think we'll pass.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Terry C

The staff is occasionally frustrated by the neighboring bar as it's hours and customers are not conducive for a restful stay in rooms that face Main St. at times. We are always concerned about our guest's experiences so please don't hesitate to ask for assistance in quieting down a noisy street party but remember that we are not a incorporated town and do not have sheriff staff readily available to respond to our requests for assistance. It sometimes takes more than an hour for a squad car to arrive and that is unfortunate when our guests are being disturbed.