“Unique hotel in great location....will be back!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites

Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mendocino
Sacramento, CA
“Unique hotel in great location....will be back!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2010

First, let me say it was difficult to find a (decent) hotel in the area that woudl allow a one-night stay. Mendocino hotel was one of them, and my girlfriend and I could not have been happier with our choice. It is located right on the main strip in Mendocino with a great view of the ocean.

We stayed in of the more moderately priced "European" rooms that did not include a bathroom inside our room (just an adorable sink, mirror, and hairdryer). I thought I might hate leaving the room to go to the bathroom or shower but it was not bad. Plenty of bathrooms within the hall that were cutely decorated, clean, and private.

Staying on the top floor, our room had access to the wrap around deck that had tables, chairs, and great views of the ocean. Was great at night with a bottle of wine. Even better was the breakfast we had in the garden restaurant in the morning. YUM! Only knock was our waiter seemed to forget we were seated outside for about 20 minutes. Regardless, I will be back for a stay and a meal for sure.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank MidtownSac

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2010

The accomodations were charming. The staff was attentive, friendly and helpful. The food was superb and the wine selection complemented the food.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2010

I just wanted to add my experience to this list of reviews. My husband and I went to Mendocino in 2008 and had a few drinks at the hotel, which were wonderful and decided we would give the rooms a try another time. So we stayed at the hotel after Christmas in 2009, it was a great deal. We were a bit dissapointed that our room was not in the main building but the room was lovely in a cute victorian house. The bed was huge and super comfy, and the room cozy. It might not be the most incredible hotel I have stayed at but they were kind enough to mail back a baby sweater I was working on that I left in the room. I cannot express how thankful I am, there was no obligation for them to do such a thing and they did. Staff was always nice and polite, food delicious and the lobby is a great place to hang out when it is cold outside. I just wish it had been summer so we could've hung out in our balcony. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cataatria
Sonoma County
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2010

Based on reviews here, I was a bit wary -- but the price was hard to refuse (they were forthcoming about giving us a deal due to tourism drop). What a beautiful place -- Sure it's old but that it has not been luxe-washed means it has genuine charm (remember that anyone?). Very clean; unbeatable heritage; super interesting architecture and furniture; a front deck that is heavenly (day and night); best location; RELAXED atmosphere; staff very friendly with excellent attitude and helpfulness; food excellent (eggs benedict, steak frittes, awesome chocolate cake). We stayed 4 nights. If you want something a bit stiff and self conscious, I recommend the McClellan House (sp?). We will return for sure.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank T_From_N_Calif
Saratoga, California USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2009

My wife and I have been coming to this hotel for many years, but this last trip (Thanksgiving 2009) will be our last. For the 3 nights we spent in the main "Victorian" building, we had very sub-par service, reception staff confused by our gift certificates, we had to call the reception at 10:30PM to get the noisy kitchen fan below our room turned off, and were generally treated as nuisances the whole time. This was far from the relaxing and cozy experience we had sought after driving all the way here. We suggest waiting for new management before coming here.

And then there was the hotel's restaurant. We got suckered into Thanksgiving dinner here ($65/person before taxes and tips). In short, what a downer! I had a small portion of salty salmon, followed by bottom-of-the-barrel apple/berry pie that seemed to come from Safeway, and was certainly not home-made. Nearly $190 for the two of us, AND we brought our own wine. What a rip-off!

The hotel has a great location, but is no longer value for money.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jennifer C

Travellers are raving about these Mendocino hotels

California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2009

Maybe my expectations were too high after reading some of the great reviews from other posters but I found our experience there not worth the price. First off, when we booked the garden suites/rooms, we were not advised that it wasn't in the main inn but across the street from the back of the hotel. As an FYI, only the European-Style and Victorian rooms are in the main building with all else behind the main building across the street. While I was waiting to check in, there was an elderly gentleman in front of me that had some questions and may have repeated a question once or twice for clarification purposes and noticed the annoyance on the face of the employee. When it was my turn, she proceeded to complain about this gentleman in Spanish to her coworker in front of me while she was checking me in which I find very unprofessional and really turned me off. The rooms itself are on the small side even the garden rooms that were suppose to be larger and again not really worth the price you have to pay. Finally, when we went to the Sunday brunch, we were never even offered the complimentary mimosas that came with the brunch which normally probably wouldn't bother me but I saw it as just another flaw in the weekend.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank LuckyLotus
california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2009

What’s the best kept secret at the Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites? Shhhhhh! I’ve never told you but… the garden suites are a true hidden gem! Located directly behind the historic inn in a beautifully maintained garden, these large, well appointed suites offer the space and serenity discerning travelers crave. Our suite, #321 in the Denslow House, featured a sunny window seat, large private balcony, marble fireplace, and a walk in closet! It you fear the historic Victorian rooms might be too small to meet your needs, do take an airy suite in the gardens where sun beams, bird song, and scents of herbs and roses will soon soothe away your every care!

After an idyllic day of walking the headlands and exploring the shops, my husband and I attended the Navarro Wine Dinner. The highlight of the meal was the spectacular butter poached lobster, smoked risotto, bouillabaisse paired with Chardonnay Premier, Reserve, Navarro, 2007. How relaxing it was to stroll back through the garden to our suite after a perfect meal, light the fire, and linger on the balcony for a bit listening to the sounds of the surf! We highly recommend a weekend at the Mendocino Hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mbisme
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendocino
MacCallum House Inn
Heritage House Resort
Heritage House Resort
#2 of 2 in Little River
Headlands Inn Bed & Breakfast

Been to Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites? Share your experiences!