“a great place for a great romance”

Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mendocino
Reviewed 2 December 2010

I have stayed in many inns and hotels, but never have I had the wonderfully romantic and relaxing experience, that I had at the Mendocino hotel, the Victorian elegance of the lobby with a large cozy fire place was a great spot for sipping wine while waiting for the rain to stop outside. Our room was stunning with french doors that opened out on to a large balcony overlooking the ocean with an 180 degree unobstructed view. The staff was friendly, knowledgeable and very helpful with information on local activities. the best part was our breakfast in bed while still in our pj's my hubby and I enjoyed our eggs benedict and fresh squeezed orange juice while watching the ocean ...I can't help but be excited to return for the Christmas season I'm sure the hotel is just gorgeous all decorated and lite up !!!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 November 2010

$375 is a healthy price to pay for a shoddy, ill-equipped and poorly house-kept suite.
Upon arrival, we encountered a surly receptionist who offered little help and no offer for luggage assistance. She was obviously untrained and not suited to be the public "face" for any hotel.
The suite was 59 degrees when we entered around 5 pm on a rainy afternoon. The heating took three hours to bring the temperature up to 70 degrees. The fireplace had artificial logs without a gas starter or matches. A call to front desk drew the response that it would be 45 minutes before matches could be delivered so I slogged through the rain myself to get them.
The furniture was old and needed recovering. A curtain rod had been ripped off and lay on the window sill. A light bulb was out above a work/dining table.
There were no wine glasses, wine opener or refrigerator. We got our own ice at the bar (through the rain again) - the bucket was a plastic land-o-lakes butter holder. In the bedroom closet, occupying most of it, was an opened ironing board which, being broken, would not close (placed outside in hallway wherer it remained next day when we left). The bathroom had only two faceclothes, two bars of soap (double sinks), a commode room without fan (or window), an old, badly torn oriental rug and a heated towel which didn't work. On top of the glass shower door was a partially used bottle of hair conditioner from a prior guest - clearly visible. The one and only soap dish had been glued to the left counter top.
One consolation was a comfortable bed with clean sheets.

7  Thank richkan
Reviewed 26 October 2010

I am deeply suspicious of all the people who supposedly stayed here, signed up to Tripadvisor to give it a 5* review and never reviewed anything again. As far as the genuine 5* reviewers are concerned, perhaps they'd like to pay $150 a night to stay in my rustic log cabin (more commonly known as a garden shed).

The check in at this hotel was competent but unfriendly to the point of being rude. When I later complained to reception about the noise from the kitchen which was disturbing me in my first floor bedroom, the response was "they usually stop at 10pm but we've had a function tonight, it will probably stop at 11". No apology.

The communal parts of the hotel appeared to be fine and fairly well kept. We didn't use the deck out the front due to the high volume of loud drunk people passing by. Our room itself was very tired. The website for the hotel claims that it was lovingly restored in 1975, as far as I can see they've done nothing since then. In my opinion the non-authentic bits of the hotel (primarily the bathrooms) should be in perfect condition. Ours was grotty and in need of renovation. If it's not 1878 limescale in the showerhead then it shouldn't be there! It's perfectly possible to convert an old building into a pleasant place to stay without losing any of it's charm.

If you're excited by the prospect of staying somewhere over a hundred years old then you might well enjoy staying here. If age alone doesn't impress, then I'd give it a miss. This hotel seemed to be fairly indicative of Mendocino, so impressed with itself it's not particularly interested in providing a good service/stay.

5  Thank mb9099
Reviewed 19 October 2010

I rarely find myself disagreeing with the majority of reviewers about a hotel, so maybe we were unlucky with the room we were allocated, or perhaps the staff were having a bad day.

The check-in clerk was the least friendly we encountered on our recent trip to the States (out of 10 hotels) and when we checked out, we weren't asked whether we'd enjoyed our stay, so we were unable to offer the hotel any feedback in person.

Our room was described as 'antique' and 'charming', but 'old and scruffy' would be nearer the mark. The wallpaper was peeling and ripped in some places, there was mould around the shower and the bathroom door wouldn't shut. Also, the extractor fan in the kitchen below was so loud that it would be impossible to sleep until it was switched off (which, luckily, was at 11pm).

The fact that the hotel is 140 years old is, in my opinion, no excuse for the rooms being tatty and in a poor state of repair. When I was in college, I often used to stay in similar rooms if I went away for the weekend with pals, and that was fine when I paying $30. However, for over $200 I expect a whole lot better.

3  Thank njpollard
Reviewed 29 September 2010

The Mendocino Hotel sits on the main street with a fabulous view of the bluffs and ocean, but that is not enough to make me return there. Despite the lovely Victorian decor, the hotel missed the boat on a few critical points: It is OK that the guest rooms are small (in the main building), but more the reason to have a parlor/lounge for guest to meet, play cards, or enjoy the fire (despite large dining areas, the lounge also serves as a dining area and is off-limits to guest who are not eating!); when a glass breaks, the bar should replace the drink (a wine glass was broken, the wine spilled, and we had to pay for the replacement drink--even though we were told by a hotel employee that the glasses are so thin they break all the time); and it seems the hotel has little regard to the noise level other guests make, despite the late hours (people were running down the hall, laughing, falling, yelling, swearing, until midnight and after). Shame, it could be a lovely place.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Donna4752
Reviewed 28 September 2010

The Mendocino is an olde style hotel and like everything else in this town is built to reflect a period in history. Accordingly the rooms are small and basic - ours had a bathroom - but comfortable enough. The public areas were very attractive, again in an olde worlde sort of way.

The problem is with the staff. Checkin was OK, without being anything special. And breakfast was also good, with friendly service. The problem was the barman who doubled as the waiter at dinner. It was obvious that he was far too busy running a hotel to provide a service to his guests. He was rude and abrupt, and generally made us feel like we were intruding, to dare ask for food and drinks. This guy spoiled our whole stay, and made the difference between going back one day and going to the next town.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PerthTripper
Reviewed 4 September 2010

Arrived at the Mendocino Hotel & Garden Suite on Saturday August 28, 2010 around 6pm, after a long drive from Yosemite. When we walked up to the registration desk, Marie the clerk, was providing/making change for another employee (maybe a bartender). We stood there until she finally paused and looked at us and said, "yes?" My husband asked her where was the restroom. Her response was, we are very busy, we have a wedding reception going on, and we do not let the public use our restrooms." I then asked her if they let guests use the restroom. She then said oh, I am sorry, the restroom is down the hall. She then turned back to the employee, started the money/change transaction again, while I stood there and waited.....said to the employee after about 2 minutes, "let me check her in." She then apologized, and said I am really sorry ma'am, I did not know you were a guest. I in turn said to her, what you should have done was say a proper greeting, and ask how you could help us, you would have immediatedly known you were addressing one of your guest. She apologized again, and I said, thank you for your apology. She then gathered my information. By then my husband had returned from the restroom and asked her for the hotel manager. She asked him, "why do you want the manager", he asked her, "am I allowed to talk to the manager?, she said yes of course. The manager arrived, and said, "What did Marie do now?" My husband explained what we had just experienced, and I let the manager know that Marie did apologize. The manager then offered us a free brunch for the next day. Our response was, we aren't interested in free brunch, just and expectation of courtesy from your staff , and when you consider that we are required to pay a non-refundable deposit that equals the one night stay of $ 386.40, this never should have happened.

OK. next we drive around the corner to our Luxury Suite, room 305. The hotel is a historic hotel with lots of period furniture. Room 305 sort of had an old stale smell, but that can be expected with kind of old antique furniture (the period pieces were nice). The sofa smelled sort of like cat urine. The bathroom had a dead fly on the floor, and a layer of dust along the baseboards. The bathroom fixtures were very nice, except the toilet seat cover was PLASTIC. Yes. PLASTIC. Anyway, we only had to get thru the night. The four poster bed was about 4 feet off the floor. Sort of difficult to climb in and out without a stool, there was a bench at the foot of the bed, (about 2 feet high) which meant that during the night, I had to exit and re-enter the bed from the foot, and crawl to the side I slept on. That was a lot of fun, a 48 yr old woman, stepping up onto a 2ft bench, and stepping or sort of a wide stretch another 2 feet to get in and out of the bed.

Needless to say, we were out of there by about 7am. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, because you never get a second chance to make a first impression......and Marie, the desk clerk did a bang up job.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank bheardagain
drchef, Manager at Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2010

Here at The Mendocino Hotel we strive to make all of our guests feel comfortable and welcome at all times. During this incident we did have a large wedding group that had taken over the entire lobby and dining areas of our property and are extremely sorry that our guests may have felt like they were not welcomed in the professional manner that they deserve and that is expected at our facility.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendocino
MacCallum House Inn
#18 of 25 in Mendocino
Little River Inn
Little River Inn
#1 of 2 in Little River

Been to Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites? Share your experiences!