“Mendocino Perfection”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mendocino
San Francisco, California
“Mendocino Perfection”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

This gorgeous Inn is nestled in the quaint town of Mendocino, CA, about 3 hours north of San Francisco. My partner and I had previously dined at the MacCallum house restaurant back in April and we loved the food and the feel of the inn so much we couldn't wait to return and stay there. We returned for a 3 night stay mid-week in August. The property is bursting with charm. Sitting on a bluff overlooking the Mendocino bay with hiking trails to some of the most gorgeous and scenic vistas that california has to offer, (literally crystal blue ocean waters and redwood trees), it's nearly heaven. The main house is a refurbished Historic Victorian with bungalows that surround the perimiter of the property. All of the rooms are very unique. One of them is actually a converted water tower! We had a king suite in the barn (yes a converted barn) and it was amazing! Wood beamed ceilings, fireplace, jacuzzi bath, dry heat sauna are just a few of the amenities that the room included. The best part about the inn is that almost all of the rooms have their own private outdoor hot-tubs. The staff made us feel very at home here. The restaurant is just fantastic. We dined here for dinner twice. Also, the room does include a full cooked to order breakfast. Needless to say we didn't want to leave and cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: try and choose a room with an outdoor hot tub!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
worcestershire
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Mendocino is one of those little gem destinations that all Americans probably know but foreign tourists just chance upon. And the MacCallum Inn is the icing on the Mendocino cake. Located picturesquely right on the edge of the ocean Mendocino's few streets are a combination of artsy shops and excellent cafés - it has a relaxed, untouristy feel that is missing from many NorCal Coastal resorts. The Mendocino Inn sits right in the middle of all this, an upmarket but very relaxed inn that sprawls over a large plot facing the sea. The main house has rooms, restaurant and reception but is surrounded by various buildings housing other individually-designed rooms. We had a downstairs room in the barn, a good size and very well appointed including a spa bath. The rooms are quiet, stylish without being too 'look we're being stylish' and comfortable. The reception greeting felt a bit formulaic, pleasant but a bit rushed, but that would be the only minor criticism. The spa bath is a fun addition but beware the use of soap or shower gel - soap and air jets do not mix well.... We ate in the restaurant in the main house (your tariff includes a $14 discount there, a clever idea). Roaring fires and mood lighting create a lovely, intimate feel especially on a cold, foggy night. We had a table in the covered porch area and enjoyed an extremely good meal. There is a big emphasis on sustainable, locally sourced and individually prepared dining - whether it explains the tasty food I can't say but it was very good. Breakfast was similarly good, with a long service period for lazy risers, although we felt the automatic 18% service charge on breakfast struck a rare dumb note at the MacCallum Inn.It is a small amount but feels like a rip off - gratuity, by definition, is optional. The staff were uniformly excellent but it should be a decision to reward that. That said, a price that includes breakfast and a dinner discount is overall A Good Thing. We left the MacCallum Inn feeling relaxed and that we had experienced some roper homespun American hospitality. Highly recommended. And thank you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the barn or away from the main house.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gje99
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I'm saddened to have to write this review, but I feel that I must. My husband and I have been coming here since our first anniversary in 2006. I looked at an old email where I gave feedback in 2006 when we stayed in the "Honeymoon Suite" (Room #32, I think) and we had such a wonderful time back then. But, I hadn't remembered that I actually did comment on the housekeeping issues even back then (made-up room, but dirty glasses, coffee cups, etc. left untouched). I read through some other reviews here too to see if ANYONE had a similar experience and it appears that some have. We have stayed in the Barn Studio (#17), The Honeymoon Suite (#32), and the Spa Suite (#33), and Jedediah Smith (#34). We have pretty much overlooked any flaws and focused on the positive, until our most recent stay last week. I made the reservation and selected the correct number of travelers when making the reservation and even followed up with a phone call to be sure they had our reservation for the correct number of people. We arrived after a very long drive (about 5 hours with a couple of short stops) and checked in. We asked for extra towels and in the past they always sent them up shortly after check-in. This time they handed my husband a stack of towels and we had to carry them to the Suites. The suites are a short drive up the hill from the main house. It was awkward, but that was not the deal breaker for me. We arrived in our room and almost instantly I had a feeling something wasn't right. The sofa bed, which is clearly identified in the description of the room, was not made up for the extra people in our party. I called the front desk thinking they would rectify the situation easily. The person at the front desk offered to bring us some pillows and blankets. I explained that we would need someone to bring sheets too! Where were the other two people in our room supposed to sleep…on the floor? She could hear the frustration in my voice and offered to check on something and call me back. In the time we waited, we checked out the room. The furniture was pretty scratched up, the rugs were FILTHY, the hot tub lid was broken and in desperate need of replacing, and there was something sticky on the coffee table that I had to wipe up before I could put my purse down. Mind you, we have stayed in this room before. I was saddened by what I saw. It was clear that no one took pride in this once beautiful place. When the front desk person called back she offered to bring us an air mattress. That was not acceptable. I asked to talk to a manager and I was transferred to Herman. I don’t recall hearing ANY apology at any time in my exchange with either individual. Herman offered us a different room and we explained that we chose that room because we wanted an outdoor space. He offered room #34, which we were promptly moved to. #34 was spacious and had plenty of room for us to sleep and move about. But, I’m certainly never going to pay to stay in that room either. The sofa was so used that the cushions were sunk into the base and very uncomfortable. The dining room table chairs were extremely wobbly and we had to be careful sitting on them. The kitchen hadn't been fully cleaned as there were popcorn kernels in the microwave and grease splatter all over the stove and the stove handle. It’s a good thing we asked for those extra towels because we discovered (on one of their many sign notices) that the room would only be made up every 3 days. We were only staying two. When I called the second day to ask for clean wash cloths I was told that we would have to wash our towels or we could exchange ours for clean ones. Weird, but OK! We've always loved the food at the Inn and looked forward to breakfast while we were there. We were a little shocked when we were billed for juice the first day since in the past it was always included with breakfast. The service was very good in the restaurant, but I will say I did notice a difference in the servers themselves from past stays. The servers don’t leave you with the upscale feel that your bill most definitely will! We were charged $4 per glass of apple juice that we later found the same bottle of at the local grocer for around $7. Either they are brewing different coffee these days or brewing it at a lighter strength. Speaking of coffee, there are Keurig brewers in the rooms, but the k-cups in ours expired in September. I snicker when I think about the k-cups since I don’t think they are biodegradable. Rather wasteful for an Inn that touts themselves as serving organic, locally grown, sustainable, etc. The topper in all of this for me was when we checked out, the front desk person told us they had undercharged us and needed to charge us for the additional 2 guests. I was appalled, since I clearly included the number of guests in my reservation and even telephoned them to make sure. All that seemed to matter to them was getting additional money from me, not that we were repeat guests who had a very bad experience. So on top of our very negative experience with them…after 7 stays…it was more important to collect their additional $$, even though it was their mistake, than to apologize and let it go. And don’t dare ask for late checkout, there is a fee for that too! Thankfully, we were on time checking out. We couldn't wait to get home. I’m sure we will return to Mendocino one day, but it won’t be to The Maccallum House.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank jtb05
MendoFan1, General Manager at MacCallum House Inn, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
We apologize this guest did not enjoy their stay with us. As she notes she was offered another room (vacation house) instead of her original room due to her stated dislike of its condition at the start of her stay. I personally apologized to her at that time. The hot tub cover in the room was destroyed by a previous guest and a new one one has been ordered to replace it. I personally inspected the room after they moved and did not note any issues with the cleanliness of the room. As far as the vacation home we offer daily cleaning service for all of our rooms but do not offer it for our two vacation rentals. Due to the size of our vacation rentals complimentary cleaning service is offered every third day. Our rates are based on double occupancy and there is a charge of $40 per person which is clearly stated on our website and this charge was applied to their bill. We always try to make a guests stay as comfortable as possible while here including offering a complimentary upgrade if the room they have reserved is not to their liking, as we did in this case. We are sorry this guest did not enjoy their stay but we feel that in this instance we did offer them options to make it better for them while they were with us.
York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 October 2013

For a romantic getaway with my boyfriend this summer, we stayed in "The Majestic Rose" (#29), which has a second floor balcony and an amazing view of the town with the gorgeous Pacific ocean as a backdrop. While I preferred this room pink and ornate as it was before the remodel a few years ago, I can understand that the princess style probably isn't for everyone. Now the room is streamlined and modern with white comforters and beige rugs, ipod docks and fancy European coffee makers - updated and still lovely. I definitely took advantage of the jetted spa tub in our bathroom a time or two for indulgent baths while reading. The rooms on this Suites property are very quiet and private and there is a beautiful old graveyard next door. Because we are returning guests, we always find a complimentary bottle of wine in our room with a sweet 'thank you' card from the inn.

If you're planning on visiting Mendocino, you probably already know how gorgeous the natural surroundings are... there are hiking trails everywhere and you can kayak in the ocean and on a number of small rivers nearby. The reason we always choose to stay at the MacCallum House when we visit is because of how nice the rooms are, because it is centrally located in the Village, and because the (mostly organic) food in their restaurant is simply amazing. I always read and seriously consider all the choices on the breakfast menu... which all sound delicious... but then I always end up ordering the Eggs MacBenedict. Try it - it'll be the best you've ever had :)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We recently spent the weekend at the MacCallum House and it was a wonderful experience. Although we were a really "late arrival", the staff on duty had our room ready and made every effort to make sure we didn't need anything prior to going off duty for the night.

Our room was clean, bathroom spotless and if we could have taken the mattress home, we would have! We were surprised with the breakfast menu that was complimentary with our room and the food was delicious.

The Inn is pretty much in the middle of everything, so enjoyed touring Mendocino's many shops and even stopped for a drink at the local bar. We had dinner at the restaurant when we returned to the Inn and it was fantastic - but you need to make reservations! We were lucky and another couple had just canceled moments prior to our walking in.

I would recommend the MacCallum House / Mendocino to anyone who wants to park their car, along with their cell phone, and be miles away from their mother in-law for several days!

Room Tip: The individual cottages are fun and quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Novato, California
Reviewed 21 October 2013

My family and I go to Mendocino every year to get away from the city. We always stay at MacCallum House because of the great rooms, awesome bar and restaurant, and fantastic service!
Cant wait for our next stay in fall....

Room Tip: try the water tower suite... its like a miniature house with an amazing view from upstairs...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 21 October 2013

My wife and our three kids stayed here recently and if was really a fantastic experience. We arrived a bit early and chatted with a couple of staff members while they confirmed that our room was ready. The staff had good things to say about the ownership and the fact that they are happy employees really shows in the attitude and service from everyone at the property.

Mendocino is such a great little town in one of the most beautiful places anywhere. The seaside bluff which is just a short 5 minute walk away has convenient trails and fantastic views. You can go down to the sandy beach or venture down on the rocks where there are tide pools, etc. The entire town in great to walk whether for a short shopping venture in the shops on the main street, or to do extensive exploring.

Back to the property. The inn has various rooms and buildings scattered around the main property and nearby around town. This gives quite a bit of variety to find accommodations that fit your needs. We stayed in the Jedediah Smith house which had a nice big kitchen, outside deck and barbeque area. It is a separate building up the hill a little ways from the main house and it has been updated beautifully. One evening my wife and I dined in the restaurant in the main house. We started in the Grey Whale bar. The food and service were great. This place (the inn and the town) has tons of history and character. The grounds are beautifully maintained while still retaining a casual comfort and welcome feeling. If you are looking for a quaint Seaside town for a romantic weekend or a family getaway this fills the bill perfectly.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SeattleTraveller13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendocino
Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites
#8 of 25 in Mendocino
Heritage House Resort
Heritage House Resort
#2 of 2 in Little River

Been to MacCallum House Inn? Share your experiences!