“Great location but service was dire!”
Review of Lobby Lounge

Lobby Lounge
Ranked #20 of 22 Restaurants in Mendocino
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Dining options: Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
UK
“Great location but service was dire!”
Reviewed 8 March 2013

Looked out this place to eat about 5pm on a Sunday afternoon. Got a lovely table at the window in near the bar. The decor is superb - dark but full of history and charm. One of the two waiting team in the bar came over and lit the candles on the tables and I expected him to come back to take orders. No. Then others came and sat at the bar and they were served. Then the other waiter came and cleared the table next to me. I waited 25 minutes to be able to order a drink. No apology.
I ordered clam chowder and then the battered fish and chips. The bowl of clam chowder arrived in two minutes and was really good and hot. But I was no more than half way through it and the fish and chips arrived and was put down on the table. Again no recognition that there was anything amiss. So finishing my soup I turned to the fish and chips but there was no cutlery delivered with it!! No waiting staff around to call so after getting up to go to the bar I eventually found something to eat it with. The response was that the grey haired waiter thought that his younger colleague had set me up.
The chips (fries) were excellent and a large pile of them but the fish was a disappointment. There were five small 'cigars' of fish in a really thick breadcrumb like coating - the coating was about 50% of the thickness of the fish portions.
This place was reasonably busy but by no means full.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank skoyen89

Caspar, California
“Relaxing..Casual..”
Reviewed 27 January 2013

We come here a couple of times a month. Melissa always gives us great service!!
The Lobby Bar has a variety of "seating options": tables, at the bar, couches, in front of the fire (we hardly ever have that choice because it is usually occupied), and our favorite tables for two by the windows overlooking the waves crashing on the headlands. This is a nice relaxing place to come by yourself or with several friends.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank FWT
Santa Rosa, California
“Good service, nice atmosphere, good food”
Reviewed 17 December 2012

This was our first visit after many trips to Mendocino and we will come back. Very neat old place with comfy seating, fireplace and good atmosphere. The chicken and brie sandwich was very good as was the angus burger with a nice, thick slice of gouda cheese (other choices available). We had very good service although I am guessing it may get a little hectic at times as the bartender was also taking the food orders at the tables. The food came out hot and fresh. They have a nice wine selection also and the prices are pretty reasonable for Mendocino.

• Visited December 2012
Sebastopol, California
“Good Food, Good Value”
Reviewed 2 November 2012 via mobile

After a disappointing meal at the Mendocino Cafe I was happy to the find the Lobby Lounge of the Mendocino Hotel.
The old Hotel ambiance is lovely and the food very good.
The Hotel Mendocino Salad with feta, pecans and dried cherries was so good I will be going back for it again later.
A chicken sandwich with bacon and Brie on foccacia was also good.
And the Creme brûlée with berries would have been perfect except that the sugar crust was soft in places--I think it may have been made earlier and then refrigerated. The homemade biscotti with it was also excellent.
Definitely worth going back!

Ceres, California
“Relaxin' in the Lobby Lounge”
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Seated by the window looking out on the beautiful headlands and cliffs of the Northern California Coast was only made better by the wild Mendocino Mushroom soup and oysters with spinach prepared by the chef in the Hotel kitchen. Sipping a local sirah, we unwound from our long but beautiful drive up highway 128.

Visited May 2012