“Excellent location, good price”
Review of Blue Heron Inn

Blue Heron Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mendocino
Blue Heron Inn
Ranked #24 of 25 Mendocino B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 August 2013

They have three rooms, one with private bathroom, this is the one we had. 120$ including taxes. Perfect room with all the necessary, cosy, very good quality details such as towels, blank sheets, mattress. We had a very good sleep. What to improve? Breakfast, definitely, they should offer it. A good breakfast would immediately increase the caché of the hotel and we would have given 5*... In fact, in previous reviews of this hotel we visited before going there, we saw they offered an excellent breakfast in past times... What a pity! What happened?

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 August 2013

The inn only has three rooms upstairs - two with a shared bath and the other ensuite. The rooms are simple with comfortable beds and great views of the ocean and/or town. It's an easy walk to anywhere in the village. The best part is the Moose Cafe located downstairs, one of the best places to eat in Mendocino. The inn used to serve breakfast, but doesn't anymore. That's a shame because I'm sure it was delicious.

Room Tip: All three rooms have great views.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Everyone was cordial and did everything possible to make my stay satisfying..even when I appeared at the door three hours before closing time. The Moose Cafe was also delightful with great food and a fireplace!! A Plus!!! The room was spacious and the town quaint.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 September 2012

I do mean perfect. Inviting accommodations include simple, tastefully done rooms upstairs over a first-rate restaurant. My cushy bed/pillows/comforter looked out to the ocean so I left my window thrown open to hear the waves and breathe the exquisite air. Lovely location and view of the perennial garden and the ocean beyond. I liked sitting up there and hearing the happy chatter and clinking of things in the restaurant, which closes early enough not to be a problem (9-ish). The next morning I found the best continental breakfast I've ever had, with fresh-from-the-oven scones, fresh fruit and juice, and great coffee. Misha and her staff were so warm and welcoming, and I felt like I found my own little home in one of the most beautiful towns I've ever been in. Mendocino is exquisite--the architecture, the town's placement next to craggy yet accessible shoreline, interesting shops and restaurants. But what made it best for me was to find this sweet spot of a place to stay. It's not fussy or precious--just so comfy and tastefully done, with no small measure of love and care. Just perfect.

Room Tip: The two rooms that share a bath have the best views of the ocean, but it's all good!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 May 2012

let me start by saying I'm not a bed-and-breakfast kind of guy. Give me a Ritz Carlton, a Grand Hyatt or even a Springhill Suites any day. My thinking has always been that If I'm going to leave my house, I prefer the place I stay to be as nice or nicer than my own home. I always imagined a bed and breakfast to be like staying in someone's house and I might come out of my room and find some guy reading the paper at the kitchen table in his underwear or something. This wasn't the case here. The Blue Heron is cozy, but I didn't feel like I was in someone's house (insert thumbs-up here). I really felt like I was in a small hotel, with the restaurant on the first floor and all. So as far as the blue heron being an adequate place for me to stay when venturing away from home, it definitely fits the bill. We couldn't have been happier with our stay. Everything about it was enjoyable. The friendliness of the owner and staff, the cleanliness of the room, the restaurant and even the PARKING was great, (a big deal for us since my fiancé and I are on 2 separate motorcycles, and I'm paranoid about where we park them). They also serve a nice breakfast in the morning, which my fiancé is always a big fan of.

We had tried to stay here once before but unfortunately it didn't work out and we had to stay at the hotel mendocino, which was ok, but not for me. During that stay we got a chance to eat at the Moose Cafe, the restaurant in the Blue Heron Inn, and we loved the place. It's definitely not the type of place I would have expected to find there in Mendocino. It's a quaint restaurant, with hardwood floors and large windows that overlook their garden, with partial views of the cove near the Inn. The food is fantastic and service is top notch (good portions too). We ordered the Salman and although I never order this because it just seems like something I eat around so often for lunch, I ordered the chicken breast.....DELICIOUS!!

We live in the Bay Area so after leaving Mendocino the first time we we're anxious to come back and stay at the Blue Heron. We called and spoke to the owner (who goes by "Misha") and reserved a room for 2 nights. We booked the "blue heron" room because it has it's own bathroom. The other two rooms in the inn share a bathroom. A note on this: I've never stayed somewhere where I had to share a bathroom and figured, "why start now". But next time even if the only room available was one of the ones that shares a bathroom, I won't hesitate to take it. I saw the bathroom that is shared and it's a VERY nice, very BIG, very clean bathroom. And it's literally 10 feet from your door. Even for a super anal retentive, somewhat reclusive person like me, it wouldn't be a problem. again, not sure about other places, but here.....no problem. Our bathroom was also very nice and very clean. Clean and soft towels too.

So as I mentioned, we had already been to the Moose Cafe previous to this stay. We had also seen the pictures of the rooms on the website. Still, I was somewhat surprised the Inn was as nice as it was. The room was perfect for us. It wasn't the one that faces the ocean, but you can see the cove off to the right and because it has windows on adjacent walls you get a nice view nonetheless. The windows also come down pretty low to the ground so you get a wide vertical view as well.
The room was very clean. Another couple checked out during our stay and as I walked down the hallway, past the room they had stayed in, I saw there was already someone cleaning it. makes sense because we could tell ours had been cleaned and vacuumed just before we checked in.

If you've ever been on a cruise or stayed in a hotel with a nice restaurant downstairs, you know that one of the nicest things about them is being able to walk straight downstairs to your table after showering....and getting dressed of course (don't want to be like that guy reading the paper). After spending the day out it's sometimes nice to not have to fuss with jumping in a car, or in our case, a motorcycle to go get food. There's several options for food within a few short block's radius, but we enjoyed the Moose Cafe so much that we bypassed the other restaurants in town and ate there both nights we were there. As they say, "if it ain't broke.......". We tried some other places for lunch instead.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that the trip here was WELL worth it. I couldnt imagine going to Mendocino and staying anywhere other than here and having as good an experience (again, if it aint broke...). It's really nice to give business to people that truly deserve it and that try their best to meet the needs of their patrons. Misha and her staff couldn't have been nicer to us during our stay. She was able to accommodate everything we needed, even saving a specific table for this picky couple at dinner time.

Is this a five star resort? Kind of. This was exactly what we wanted. It's a very nice, small, quiet place with the feel that a five start resort WOULDN'T have been able to offer. Mendocino is a nice place to come and unwind. You'll walk around, maybe go for a hike, or like we did, grab some food to take to the waters edge for lunch (Try some takeout from Tote-Féte). Just like Mendocino, the Blue heron Inn (and the moose cafe) is a small, quaint place worthy of the visit. We've already planned our next trip back. If you're in Mendocino, give the Blue Heron Inn and the Moose Cafe a try. I can't imagine you wouldn't love it like we do.

Room Tip: The Blue Heron has it's own bathroom, but the other rooms are a bit bigger. As I mention in the...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2011

We had the B&B for ourselves as the restaurant closes at 10pm and the 2 other rooms were empty. 2 rooms including ours share a huge bathroom and the other one has en-suite. Lovely view from our room on the small flower garden below with the sea in the background . Room was a good size with nice furniture. Good breakfast in the restaurant. Misha the owner was lovely and recommended a good winery to stop by. We stayed one night and without booking, just showed up at 5pm.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 12 August 2011

We arrived in San Francisco on our train 5 hours late and had to make the drive to Mendocino in the dark. The drive was difficult and we were tired, but the arrangements that the Inn made for us to check in late were so helpful. The room was beautifully decorated and simple and the bed was amazingly comfortable. Though we had a shared bathroom we never had to wait for it. We also had a really nice view of the ocean from the Sunset Room.

Our breakfast in the morning included very good oatmeal and cranberry scones. Delicious sliced fresh fruit and the most amazing freshly baked fig scones. We were so happy with our stay and only disappointed that we couldn't stay longer.

Room Tip: From what I saw all the rooms are amazing.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family