We had stayed here once before a while back, but I did not do a review as we missed out on Charles' renowned breakfast, and therefore I didn't feel it was fair to the establishment to do a review without it. We are certainly glad we came back - the breakfast is really excellent. We really enjoyed the pecan and brown sugar bacon and the orange bread French toast, as well as the caramel infused waffles the following morning. I especially loved the yogurt. I forgot to ask Charles what he puts in it. The scrambled eggs are also very good - he adds ingredients to the eggs that bump them up to something much better than the typical. There was plenty of food, served buffet style. Charles himself is a very gregarious host and gave us tips on the best beach and whale watching areas.
Both times we stayed in upper floor rooms. They were very clean, nicely decorated, and quiet; one was on the small side so you better be traveling lightly. Room 66 was our favorite. There is adequate heating, although both rooms had additional heat - a gas fireplace in one (I think it was gas) and a wood burning fireplace in the other, which we used. There were TVs - the older type. There were also small refrigerators in both rooms. The bedding and beds were very comfortable, and there was plenty of hot water. The rooms are small upstairs so if you have a lot of baggage or you just need more space, you might prefer the lower floor front rooms, which I got a peek at as we were checking out, and they are quite large and beautifully decorated.
This is an old house, which gives it a tremendous amount of charm and history, but of course there will some minor issues, such as slightly misaligned floors or doors, etc. I have no problem with this kind of thing, and expect it. I love old houses.
The breakfast area serves two purposes - lounge/living area and dining area. And as such, it makes it slightly difficult to accommodate dining seating when there is a full house. They really need an extra room. Unfortunately, I don't see any realistic way to achieve that. There are small tables and trays you can set your drinks on, etc., but basically you are eating your breakfast in your lap. We didn't mind, but I could see how people might. In any case, the quality of the food supersedes any seating arrangements.
The inn is very conveniently located on Main Street in the Mendocino village, with lots of shops and restaurants close by and easily walked to. There is a trail down to the Big River beach directly across from the inn.
It was a very enjoyable stay, and we look forward to returning in the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Great Food, Art, Music and Vibes await you at Didjeridoo. Set just across the road from the ocean bluffs and the oldest Presbyterian church in California our spot in the village is cool. Walk to great eateries and all the local shops or relax and meditate in our beautiful gardens and historic lobby. See local art displayed in our relaxed lobby, break bread with us at our open pot-lucks & drink wine with us :) If you play bring your instruments, music happens here. Didjeridoo is perfect for weddings, reunions, small private parties and any other happenings that need to be in a place of love and beauty. Our rooms are great too! They range from quaint to fancy, some Victorian some simple and zen, all beautiful. We are Mendo people and want your visit to our village to be special and cherished. Peace Please note Didjeridoo is not a place that uptight conservative people will enjoy, in fact they will write bad reviews and hate it like they hate many things in life. Didjeridoo is most enjoyed by cool people looking for a nice stay in a beautiful place in an extremely friendly environment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn & Meditation Hotel Mendocino
- Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn And Meditation Center