Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Little River Inn(Little River)
View Hotel
Heritage House Resort(Little River)
View Hotel
Coast Inn & Spa(Fort Bragg)
Shoreline Cottages(Fort Bragg)
View Hotel
Anchor Lodge Motel(Fort Bragg)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsyogurtfrench toastb bblueberry pancakesother guestsclaw foot tubin townnext morningold victorianwater towerdelicious homemade breakfastfour poster bedgrandma's househome away from homebed and breakfasthistoric buildingprivate bath
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 February 2014

You could become an un expecting victim! For some Didjeridoo is a dream for others it is a nightmare, which is obvious by the reviews. If you like the "commune" living style with an open marijuana "Medicinal" purposes of course, smoking policy, then this is your place. Have at it. But if you are expecting what is advertised and to be like a typical B&B, you are in trouble.

Our concern came when we first arrived and saw the outside. How old are the pictures in their web site and how photoshopped are they? Only Charles knows. The house yard was unkempt, the outside was Dingy and in need of a face lift. We still went on hoping the inside was better. We were met with a friendly staff and a pile of laundry in the common dinning/sitting/living/ smoking room. What was worse is that there was a STRONG odor of freshly smoked along with stale smell of Marijuana. This was also in the kitchen area.

Personally the medical use of marijuana is not a concern of ours, but my wife has a major medical allergy to marijuana and the smoke affects her greatly. It was obvious we could not stay there. When we explained that to the staff they stated that it was not a problem of theirs and they were a marijuana medicinal use friendly environment. We asked to get a refund and we would be on our way. They said they did not give refunds and it was our problem not theirs. They also stated it was on their website that they were a Mj friendly inn. I pulled the site up and asked them to show me where it said that. It didn't.

I told them what it did say is that it is a "smoke free" environment, which by California law it has to be. I explained that the law does not indicate what can and cannot be smoked, it is plain and simple, any smoking.
At that point they became confused and were apologetic but said they couldn't do anything about it.

While I started to look for another place to stay on the phone the employee called the owner "Charles" and had my wife talk to him. She tried to explain our circumstance to him but he became immediately irate with her and verbally belligerent. She hung up on him because he had upset her so much. He had told her that if we were so closed minded about the use of marijuana then we shouldn't come to California and he would not give a refund to us because we were close minded people.

I saw the employee was on the phone, she held the phone down and told me it was the owner and that he is telling us to leave his Inn. She handed me the phone upon my request. I was able to talk to Charles on the phone. I am a calm person and tried to speak calmly to him at no avail. He was immediately argumentative and belligerent yelling at me on the phone, again saying that we were closed minded and were giving his place "Bad energy" and to leave. I told him as soon as we get a refund we would leave. He refused. And I tried to kindly explain to him that I had no adversity to the medical us of marijuana and I was probably one of the few law enforcement persons he would meet that didn't care either way. He immediately said "you're a cop! Now I really want you to leave!"

Well I could go on and on but you get the point from my review and the reviews of others. Charles is the worst part of this whole place if you are not in total agreement with him or has the slightest problem with his establishment.

We did end up staying at the fantastic Mendocino Hotel that is everything Charles says his is, but isn't. It is a wonderful turn of the century hotel that is designed for everyone and is peaceful and relaxing.

Charles, by what I see of your replies to others you are fuming now. Sorry. But here is some friendly and legal advise for you so other un expecting people do not get trapped into a bad situation for both them and you. You can make your establishment into a "Vacation co-op Style Club" where guest who know, and I'll restate that point "know" what type of Inn you really are, and have them pay a membership fee, then they can legally smoke what ever they want in their private club, and no one will be caught off guard expecting more than what they bargained for. Also make a clear banner that states you are a medicinal marijuana friendly environment on your web site, clear.

I wish I could comment on your breakfast but you wanted me out of your establishment before I could try this wonderful meal. But! "The Flow" restaurant down the street and the Mendocino Hotel both have great breakfast!!!!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Paul E
Didj-Inn, Owner at Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

OK, We smoke Pot. Our inn is OK with people who smoke pot staying here. My girls work there buts off. If they had been smoking before you arrived, O'well there housekeepers not brain surgeons. This issue was not about smoking pot. You paid through TravelZoo, a 3rd party sales site who you booked through. When you said you would not stay and demanded a refund you were told you would have to call TravelZoo for the refund. Thats how it works. You refused to leave without an immidiate refund so My girls called me. I got on the phone with your wife, right away demanding a refund and I explained to her that she needed to call TravelZoo. She refused FREAKED out on me (like she had on my girls, Nancy was almost crying) then Hung up.... I called and Paula told me Like your wife had that you were calling the Police. You got on the phone with me and told me you know how the Law works because your a Police Officer!!!! After explaing to you again that you would have to call TravelZoo you refussed said you had called our Sheriff and would not leave without your refund...... The deputy showed but you had left, after calling our cops! Really your a Cop?

And also Officer Full of Poop, Don't slam our place cause you didn't get your way.

Ps. Cops are welcomed here but NOT GUNS.

Charles @ Didjeridoo

Reviewed 30 January 2014

We stayed here with and elderly couple that we were hosting for two nights in September '13, so we needed two rooms. This place has a lot of charm and local history. We were able to change rooms when we arrived, and felt very welcomed by the staff, who were extremely friendly and accommodating. Charles made a fantastic breakfast, and was able to accommodate our various dietary restrictions and food allergies (vegan and gluten-free). This B&B is the perfect place to use as a base in Mendocino. You can walk to all the restaurants, stores, galleries and hiking trails from Didjeridoo. The vibe is laid back and mellow, which is exactly what we were looking for. They feature local artists in their lobby/dining area, which is another plus.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JimG45

Awwwww. Love your review.

Thanks for staying and you Kind words

Reviewed 29 January 2014

I recently stayed at the Didjeridoo with my husband and two small children. I was welcomed by Charles the owner, who was very friendly, and funny. We stayed in a charming beautiful room, with wonderful antiques and very clean. We loved the warmness off the staff. You can feel the history of the place. The inn is located right across from the beach which is nice. The breakfast was delicious, and fresh! My children loved running around the gardens in front of the inn. We wandered around Mendocino, which is within walking distance, and such a charming town. We loved our stay and will be coming back!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DesrayRose

Hi!

Thanks for staying again..... You guys have the 2 cutest kids :)

@ Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn

Reviewed 28 January 2014

We bought a two night stay thru Travelzoo.com. When we arrived, as I was walking up the walkway, I noticed the yard was unkept. As I entered, I was greeted by a friendly staff person (the entire staff was very friendly and this was a plus). She took us to our room which was probably the smallest room I have ever stayed in at a hotel or B & B. The room had so much furniture in it and absolutely no place to sit. It was not the cleanest room I had ever been in but I thought I would make the best of it. We upgraded the next night to a room that was in the front of the Inn that was much larger and also had a jetted tub.

I never had breakfast as every time I went to the area for breakfast there was no room to sit.

The Inn is just ok but a little on the shabby side. A little cleaning, some landscaping and maybe some furniture upgrades would make this a little more presentable. I must say that first impressions are important and with these few tweaks this could be an ok place.

Room Tip: The front two rooms are large and probably the best in the inn. The upstairs rooms are very small.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank BrodieElkGrove_CA
Didj-Inn, Owner at Didjeridoo Dreamtime Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

First of all let me say I wish there was a site called "guestreview.com". If there was I would give you a lousy review. You don't no how to act like a guest..... You pick a small room to save money then complain about how small the room is??? By the way, you saved $30.00!!! You don't know how to eat with a group of people so you skip the meals??? By the way the Breakfast are the thing people really go away remembering from here, and not just the food but the experence of eating with people enjoying themselves from all over the world. Our yard is not unkept it just mostly dead from no water but it is maintained and gone thru. OUR ROOMS ARE AS CLEAN AS ANY I HAVE EVER STAYED IN. I truly get so upset by the bad reviews that UPTIGHT people leave that at times I think is it worth doing this? But about 95% of the folks who come here love it, I suggest to anyone whos read your stupid baseless review to read some of the good ones.

And yep,

@ Didjeridoo

Ps. Loving-Kindness dosent mean I feel it's ok that you are a bad guest giving a baseless bad review it just means I love you as a human anyways, But please don't come back (you ruined my night).

Reviewed 25 January 2014

We had stayed here once before a while back, but I did not do a review as we missed out on Charles' renowned breakfast, and therefore I didn't feel it was fair to the establishment to do a review without it. We are certainly glad we came back - the breakfast is really excellent. We really enjoyed the pecan and brown sugar bacon and the orange bread French toast, as well as the caramel infused waffles the following morning. I especially loved the yogurt. I forgot to ask Charles what he puts in it. The scrambled eggs are also very good - he adds ingredients to the eggs that bump them up to something much better than the typical. There was plenty of food, served buffet style. Charles himself is a very gregarious host and gave us tips on the best beach and whale watching areas.

Both times we stayed in upper floor rooms. They were very clean, nicely decorated, and quiet; one was on the small side so you better be traveling lightly. Room 66 was our favorite. There is adequate heating, although both rooms had additional heat - a gas fireplace in one (I think it was gas) and a wood burning fireplace in the other, which we used. There were TVs - the older type. There were also small refrigerators in both rooms. The bedding and beds were very comfortable, and there was plenty of hot water. The rooms are small upstairs so if you have a lot of baggage or you just need more space, you might prefer the lower floor front rooms, which I got a peek at as we were checking out, and they are quite large and beautifully decorated.

This is an old house, which gives it a tremendous amount of charm and history, but of course there will some minor issues, such as slightly misaligned floors or doors, etc. I have no problem with this kind of thing, and expect it. I love old houses.

The breakfast area serves two purposes - lounge/living area and dining area. And as such, it makes it slightly difficult to accommodate dining seating when there is a full house. They really need an extra room. Unfortunately, I don't see any realistic way to achieve that. There are small tables and trays you can set your drinks on, etc., but basically you are eating your breakfast in your lap. We didn't mind, but I could see how people might. In any case, the quality of the food supersedes any seating arrangements.

The inn is very conveniently located on Main Street in the Mendocino village, with lots of shops and restaurants close by and easily walked to. There is a trail down to the Big River beach directly across from the inn.

It was a very enjoyable stay, and we look forward to returning in the future.

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms are quieter - Room 66 is especially nice and has a pretty view. The lower floor front rooms are large and beautiful, but they are right next to the front door and might be noisier.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SkateSand

Hi!

You guys were GREAT Guest!!! Thanks for staying again and really thanks for the great words about breakfast. See you folks next time (for Abalone potluck)