“Glad we made a second visit”
Review of Brewery Gulch Inn

Brewery Gulch Inn
Ranked #1 of 25 Mendocino B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 December 2012

We were able to make a return visit to the inn after an absence of several years and were glad we came back. We originally visited under previous ownership. The newer owner seems to be on top of things with a well-kept inn, great hospitality, very good food and service. The Smuggler's Cove room was great with fantastic views of the Pacific. Evening hors d'oeuvres with wine was almost a full meal with shrimp ceviche, sweet pea bisque, roasted potatoes and dessert, along with wine a beer. Breakfast was huge and equally good with several good choices and fresh squeezed orange juice.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mobie0309
Write a ReviewReviews (1,186)

Reviewed 16 December 2012

Other visitors who rate this inn a #5 share their overall experience in their reviews, so I'll speak to the delicious breakfast which is served in the Arts & Craft style lounge, nearby a large welcoming fireplace. Help yourself to a yummy homemade pastry and coffee while you order off an interesting full menu. I had "Winter Huevos" which were organic and delicious. My friends were pleased with their choices too.... waffle extraordinaire! The views are lovely and staff friendly. An excellent choice for a visit to the north coast!

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank SmilingCalifornia
Reviewed 10 December 2012

After spending quite a bit if time looking at inns on the Internet in the Mendocino area, we picked the Brewery Gulch. All the excellent reviews are correct, it's pretty perfect. Lovely modern decor, fantastic breakfasts, helpful staff, late afternoon wine and small dinner buffet for guests. We drove there from Healdsburg through the Navarro redwood Forest, a beautiful ride. And the sunsets from the room are beautiful.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank UpperWS
Reviewed 6 December 2012

Brewery Gulch Inn is my favorite and the absolute best place to stay when in or near Mendocino. This was not my first stay and it won't be my last, so I forgive myself for not taking a zillion pictures to post because there will be a "next time". I was so enchanted by the place, I just plain couldn't be bothered with the camera. Its not in the town of Mendocino, but that's one of the reasons I like the BGI. You're far enough away from town to feel secluded, but close enough that I walked there everyday. There was torrential rain, but that was also part of the beauty and not at all an issue, since BGI provides huge umbrellas for your use. Its extra lovely when it rains, and then perhaps those of you who enjoy baths won't feel guilty about filling up the GIGANTIC 2 person soaking tub in the room.

If you don't want to get out and walk around, you can watch all 4 seasons of The Tudors like I did (!), one of the 600 other DVDs in the Inn's collection or catch up on Vogue, People, Travel & Leisure, etc., mags/newspapers that are provided. Don't forget the specialty coffee, teas, fruit and yum baked goods that are provided all day for your consumption. The place is so soothing, the bed so comfortable, and the surroundings so beautiful, that staying in is almost better than going out. I'm kind of wishing I had filled up that huge Raven room tub and used the bath salts that were generously provided. Oh well, next time.

Even though the Brewery Gulch Inn is gorgeous to look at, comfortable to stay in, and the food is plentiful and delicious, one of its best selling points is the very gracious service and friendliness of its staff. From first call to goodbyes, Jo Ann Stickle and Guy Pacurar made sure my stay was excellent. I am very impressed by their attention to detail. Thoughtful gestures such as emailing me an alert about road closures prior to my trip showed concern for my safety above and beyond the expected. I very much appreciated the generous upgrade to the Raven room upon my arrival. I didn't even have to ask. And for those of you who are petite (read: SHORT) such as I, having a robe placed in my room that was not the usual "one size fits all" is one of those things that puts a great place in the "excellent" category. Again, I didn't even have to ask. BTW, the robes are so comfortable and of high quality that I bought one as a Christmas gift for a friend.

Could go on and on about how much I like Brewery Gulch Inn, but you'll understand when you arrive there for YOUR stay...

Room Tip: All of the rooms are beautiful and calming. The 3rd floor room views are fabulous.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank mouserou
MendocinoInnkeeper, Owner at Brewery Gulch Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2012

It was a pleasure having you here. Since you finished The Tudors, I may have to get the Borgias for your next visit! And while I would like to take credit for being so intuitive as to have exactly the right size robe in your room, the truth is, it was serendipitous happenstance (although we are always able to change out a guest robe for a different size on request). I hope you come visit again and best wishes for a happy holiday season.

Reviewed 27 November 2012

We've been coming to the BGI since it opened several years ago and we always look forward to returning. This time we spent Thanksgiving at the inn and had a fabulous time. (We've also spent a couple of New Years' and anniversaries there.) The staff is always so friendly and accommodating, the rooms are modern but still cozy and the great room is so very relaxing and inviting.
The breakfasts are wonderful and the afternoon wine hour is always tasty and fun. This time one of the wine hours was followed by a spontaneous trivia game with a like minded group of guests; we had a great time laughing at some of the questions that came up.
It's very easy to get to the town of Mendocino (some of our fellow guests walked) where we enjoyed the shops and galleries. It's an excellent way to avoid the downside of Black Friday!
Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Look at the descriptions online and decide which room suits you best; the are all described very wel...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EBTravelGirl
Reviewed 19 November 2012

There is no other place to stay in Mendocino. While the rooms are more expensive than most, consider what you get:

Excellent service
Free Internet
Unlimited non alcoholic beverages (think concierge lounge)
Amazing Supper buffet with local wines
World class guest room (think Four Seasons) with amenities to match
Superb a la carte breakfast
The setting and views are unbelievable

We had the Heron room (best value after walking around and looking at the more expensive ones) and left the door open all night to a light rain, ocean waves and crisp, clean air.

After reading everyones review, I thought there MUST be one or two flaws...there are none.

Room Tip: Heron is the best value. Good ocean view, nice porch, quite and still has the fireplace. Granted, it...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2012

This was our first stop on our honeymoon and oh what a wonderful place to land! The food was exceptional and delicious, the room modern and comfortable, and the staff beyond warm and friendly. We drank good coffee, ate good food, sat on the patio and watched the birds, and played a lot of cards. The staff were also helpful in assisting our planning of day hikes and the rest of our road trip to Portland. They also helped us get in-room massages (they were wonderful!) and were LGBTQ-friendly. Mendocino is a magical town and we can't imagine a better place to stay in it!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
MendocinoInnkeeper, Owner at Brewery Gulch Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2012

I am so glad that we were able to play a small part in launching your lives together. Please come back and visit again. And best wishes always from all of us at BGI.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendocino
MacCallum House Inn
Heritage House Resort
Heritage House Resort
#2 of 2 in Little River
Headlands Inn Bed & Breakfast

Been to Brewery Gulch Inn? Share your experiences!