“Excellent and Worthwhile”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I selected Café Beaujolais for a birthday dinner for my wife. Let me say that a “fine dining / white table cloth” dinner in the Mendocino / Ft Bragg area is not something that one should expect to easily find. But Café Beaujolais fit the bill. I was apprehensive after reading some of the other reviews. My experience however left little to criticize negatively about. So let’s start with the one very minor negative. The service could have been a little more attentive particularly at the end of our meal. On the night we dined, there was one server for the entire restaurant. Because it was a slow season and the diners were well spaced out with their reservations, one server was not a problem. But towards the end of the evening, our server slipped up a bit.

This did not detract from the overall excellent experience. The dining room itself was comfortable, nicely decorated and spacious. Everything we had was well prepared from fresh local ingredients. For a main course we had sturgeon; a fish that I am not too familiar with. It was excellently prepared and properly cooked. We were told that sturgeon is mild and so is presented with a sauce. I cringed thinking that the sauce would dominate. Much to my surprise then the sauce was a light, flavorful sauce that did not mask, but rather complimented, the flavor of the fish. Both appetizers that we had were similarly excellent. But noteworthy was the Blackberry Cobbler. Made with obviously ripe, tasty blackberries with what seemed like granola as the crisp, this was an outstanding dish that was sweetened enough to only take away the overly tart impact of blackberries. But a berry cobbler this was: all fruit, little or no thickening and only enough sugar (or was it honey?) to leave all the berry flavor intact. In fact was any sweetening added? I did not ask.

And the coffee was rich, flavorful and without any bitterness. A wonderful way to end the fine meal.

There are newer reviews for Cafe Beaujolais

Reviewed 3 December 2013

We had a delicious meal here on Thanksgiving. We heard some fellow guests at our inn saying it was terrible, but we disagree! Our server was friendly and efficient as well. I especially enjoyed the pumpkin soup, the wild rice with butternut squash and the yams. And the bourbon pecan tart was heavenly!

Reviewed 2 December 2013

What had once been a jewel of a restaurant under previous ownership (indeed it was one of Julia Child's favorites), has been slipping for many years and has now become so poor, that it can no longer be recommended at all. Yes, we did have Thanksgiving dinner there, and holiday dinners are rarely an expression of the best the kitchen can offer, but this year, the food was truly awful. The turkey was undercooked (fortunately, we didn't become ill…at least not yet), the accompany onslaught of vegetables were piled one upon the other so that you couldn't tell if you were eating green beans or yams. Even the pumpkin pie tasted store bought. We've been having Thanksgiving dinner here for many years, and this was undoubtedly the worst…truly awful. As an aside, other friends had a "normal" dinner at CB 2 days after Thanksgiving, and were equally disappointed saying that for them, this was surely their last visit to the CB. Very sad indeed!

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Our dinner, from beginning to end, was fabulous! I started with a Cassis Vermouth (on the rocks), Hubby with a North Coast Old 38. We started dinner with a cup of their winter squash soup which was very different than what we expected. It was not a creamy, blended type of soup. It had a lot of onions and tomatoes, and lots of flavor. I opted for the duck (roasted duck breast and duck legs confit glazed with a red wine reduction and served with riced potatoes and braised kale) and Hubby went with the filet mignon (with Yukon Gold mashed potatoes & gravy and braised broccoli spars). The flavors were subtle and very tasty, definitely not bland as another reviewer stated. Hubby ordered a nice Zinfandel to go with his and I had the Atria Choir (a Viognier / Roussanne blend) with my duck. We do not hardly ever have desert, but decided to share a piece of pecan pie with desert wines. The pean pie was also quite amazing!

The ambiance is really nice with an elegant countryside appeal. The restaurant wasn't very busy at the time we were there (6 p.m. on a Sunday evening), so it was quiet and very relaxed. The service was also excellent. We will definitely go back!

Reviewed 29 November 2013

Sorry to say one of our favorite go-to restaurants in Mendocino is headed downhill. Whenever we're in Mendocino at least one of our dinners and a couple lunches have been enjoyed at Cafe Beaujolais, however our fifth Thanksgiving dinner there in as many years will likely be our last. My spouse's traditional Thanksgiving dinner with all 7-9 side dishes was as bland as a turkey dinner with all the fixings can be and my vegetarian wild-rice stuffed winter squash arrived simmering hot on the outside and ice cold in the center. Even after sending it back for reheating, it arrived with the hot even hotter and the cold still cold. The pumpkin pie was a sliver of a piece and had less flavor and eye appeal than a frozen Sara Lee, and the wild berry pie was a bit of a gelatinous mess. Even the bread basket typically filled with warm, fresh artisan breads from their own ovens was a grand disappointment. We've heard through the grapevine Cafe B is on the market and so we're assuming this is why it lacked all that we've loved about it in the past. Realistically I should have given it a single star but I gave it an extra star for sentimental reasons and for some wonderful memories of the past.

I should also note every restaurant is going to have a bad night now and then but over the past couple Thanksgivings we've noticed the quality going downward and the attention to the most basic touches lacking. We kept hoping for a turnaround but apparently that's not to be.