“better than we expected - a nice surprise”
Review of The 955 Ukiah Street Restaurant - CLOSED

The 955 Ukiah Street Restaurant
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 31 October 2013

As we walked in for the first time, the restaurant felt a bit long in the tooth - maybe hanging on to the Hippie era. But the food more than made up for our first thoughts. Delicious and fresh and nicely plated. My husband had what he said was the best steak he'd had in a long time. I had a seafood dish - wonderful!

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Mendocino is a lovely town and there are many interesting restaurants. We were fortunate enough to have several days to visit the area. Of all the restaurants we visited, this was our favorite.

It was a bit odd to walk back through the bushes along the other buildings to get to this restaurant, which is buried in side the block of buildings, though.

We had two dishes. Mine was the yogurt marinated jumbo prawns. One of the best prawn dishes I've had! Plenty of prawns, an excellent sauce. The waitress said that it "comes with two starches" - but she wasn't sure what the "starches" were that evening. A bit odd. It ended up being a scoop of very tasty polenta (chunkier than usual, which was nice) and a scoop of quinoa. I enjoyed this very much.

The other dish was the spinach/chard raviolo. It was excellent.

The staff was very friendly (although they could have been a bit more attentive to my water glass).

I definitely will go there the next time we visit Mendocino.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

The duck won tons had descent flavor but the pasta shell was under cooked and the filing had a chalky texture. The lamb stew had very little flavor and the lamb was way over cooked. We had high hopes for this place but were sadly disappointed.

1  Thank Kevin949
Reviewed 22 September 2013

My mother and I dined here for NYE 2012. Again, another restaurant that doesn't cook with salt. I don't understand this concept because nothing tastes good. They did not have a special menu for the night, which was disappointing. I had duck, mom had the pork, but we both had the same sides: plain penne pasta and plain rice, MIXED TOGETHER. Neither cooked with salt. ??? It was truly bizarre with no thought about creating a dish that is cohesive. Not going back.

1  Thank Ashley M
Reviewed 15 September 2013

My wife and I dined at 955 Ukiah at the recommendation of our B&B host. What we encountered was a smallish, beautiful venue with large windows overlooking an untamed garden, and excellent service. We thought we had it "made".

My wife excitedly ordered the calamari, and I the seafood menagerie. The quality of ingredients was first-rate. Clearly the chef had some interesting ideas. B-u-t ... both dishes were absolutely flat, completely lacking of character. So many things done really right, but in the end a great restaurant needs to serve great food.

Bottom line ... a lovely place to eat, but we would only go for appetizers and dessert just to enjoy the atmosphere.

2  Thank Cigano-Gitano