“One of the two best restaurants in Mendocino!”

The 955 Ukiah Street Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 22 Restaurants in Mendocino
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Baltimore, Maryland
“One of the two best restaurants in Mendocino!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

We had heard from several locals that the 955 was a wonderful restaurant, so we tried it out. My wife and I shared an iceberg lettuce wedge with bleu cheese and bacon dressing - outstanding! She saw seared swordfish & scallops on the entree menu, but she wanted only scallops, so the chef responded accordingly; my wife says that those were the best seared scallops that she has ever had. I had the seared calamari, mixed chilies, tomatillo, jicama and cilantro; it was outstanding! We split a rhubarb parfait for dessert - another winner! The Cafe 955 was established ~25 years ago in its present location, the former studio of artist, Emmy Lou Packard. It is in a lovely location tucked into the center of a block with a massive apple tree outside the big picture window. The owners are the chef and the lady who oversees the dining room; they are a lovely couple who were happy to tell my wife exactly how to fix the scallops. My only surprise regarding the Cafe 955 was its apparent low overall rating amongst the Mendocino restaurants, only #11 of 21 (on Nov 26). I think it ought to be right up there alongside the Cafe Beaujolais.

Visited November 2013

denver
“Marvelous setting, excellent meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

Terrific food, combined with dreamy ambiance. Things like lighting, and how a place feels, matter to me, so I was pleased with the art posters on the walls, the coziness of the room, and the view of the softly lit garden out the windows. Meal itself was delightful, service was attentive and felt genuine.

• Visited November 2013
Richmond
“Quirky restaurant with excellent food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

The restaurant entrance is located down a narrow pathway surrounded by vegetation. The comfortable dining area itself appears to be in the back of a large house. Food and service were above average but nothing outstanding. Overall a decent place for a town with somewhat limited dining options.

• Visited October 2013
Bend
“better than we expected - a nice surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

As we walked in for the first time, the restaurant felt a bit long in the tooth - maybe hanging on to the Hippie era. But the food more than made up for our first thoughts. Delicious and fresh and nicely plated. My husband had what he said was the best steak he'd had in a long time. I had a seafood dish - wonderful!

Visited September 2013
Davis, CA
“The Best of the Best in Mendocino”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

Mendocino is a lovely town and there are many interesting restaurants. We were fortunate enough to have several days to visit the area. Of all the restaurants we visited, this was our favorite.

It was a bit odd to walk back through the bushes along the other buildings to get to this restaurant, which is buried in side the block of buildings, though.

We had two dishes. Mine was the yogurt marinated jumbo prawns. One of the best prawn dishes I've had! Plenty of prawns, an excellent sauce. The waitress said that it "comes with two starches" - but she wasn't sure what the "starches" were that evening. A bit odd. It ended up being a scoop of very tasty polenta (chunkier than usual, which was nice) and a scoop of quinoa. I enjoyed this very much.

The other dish was the spinach/chard raviolo. It was excellent.

The staff was very friendly (although they could have been a bit more attentive to my water glass).

I definitely will go there the next time we visit Mendocino.

• Visited September 2013