“Good food- weird service-disappointing atmosphere”

Flow Restaurant and Lounge
Ranked #7 of 24 Restaurants in Mendocino
Price range: US$5 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood, Fusion
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Epic view of the Pacific and Mendocino Bay. Deck and bay window views. Fresh, local, organic cuisine, skillfully blended by chef Matt Samuelson. Whale watching from our second-story view, December through May. Beautiful sunsets most evenings. A great place place to drink, dine and watch the sea and sky float by. Full bar with local wines, beers and specialty drinks. House-made breads and desserts. Kid's menus and drinks. Please be our guest. We look forward to serving you.
Reviewed 29 August 2014

We started out on the deck on a beautiful night, sitting across from a man & his 2 daughters. The daughters, around ages 11 & 7 were probably mature enough to be in a nice restaurant but their father wasn't. After several minutes of listening to them have a contest to see who could blow "fake farts" into their hands the loudest, we got up and asked the hostess if she minded whether we moved inside. It wasn't a problem, but they never bothered to ask why we wanted to move. It would have been nice if they cared.

We ordered the beet salad to share & two entrees. The entrees came before we had a chance to finish our drinks & before the salad. I told the person who brought the entrees (bussed?) to forget the salad. When our waitress finally stopped by, she never noticed or asked about whether our order was OK; just "do you need anything?"

In fairness, there was a party of 12, us, the Fart Family & another couple, with one waitress & one hostess. Getting our check was an adventure. First, we were brought a check with only the drinks ordered when we were outside. Nice for us, not so much for them. We tried really hard to get someone' attention to let them know that they pretty much forgot to bill us for our meal. Finally, after about 10 minutes, my wife got up and went to the hostess station. When she brought the "correct" bill, it still had the beet salad that we'd never gotten. When we finally got the real correct bill, we gave her a Visa gift card. She looked puzzled, took the check & card away & brought it back with the check rung thru already. We were a bit non-plussed as to how to leave a tip, since there wasn't an option to put one on the check. Finally, we left the tip in cash.

If I didn't know better, I'd have thought that they didn't want us to tip at all.

The food was good. But I'm sure there are other places in town that also serve good food & have better service. I don't know if this is a typical they're tourists & probably won't be back" attitude or they were having an off night. Unfortunately, we live in the Bay area, loved our B&B and probably WILL be back in Mendocino. Just not to Flow.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

A nice, reasonably priced restaurant overlooking the water. Went twice during a brief stay in Mendocino and I would go again. I tried the beef brisket and also an organic burger. I enjoyed both. Additionally, there is a a nice selection of wines by the glass.....(of course you're in wine country). I tried a fresh strawberry/blueberry pie which had an excellent crust.
I would give five stars if I tried more of the menu.
Recommended!

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Went there for dinner, food was just ok. We ordered pizza maybe their other items are better. Looks to be a nice place for lunch..

Reviewed 19 August 2014

This restaurant was one of the few places open when we decided to eat out this August evening. Nice ocean view but service was not good. While the dining room was full, we were waited on by the bartender who appeared to be quite busy. Food portions are small and food was nothing to write home about. Disappointed to say the least.

1  Thank PepperNewJersey
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We have not been to Mendocino for some time and Flow is a restaurant that I was not familiar with. It was great. The view from the second story restaurant took in the coast, the setting sun and the main street of town. Could not have been better. The menu was diverse, local and interesting. The food was delicious - we all had a black been soup that had so many flavors and nuances - could have had several bowls of that alone. Everything was well prepared and presented. There was a good wine list and the cost was reasonable. There was also live entertainment - a guitar and an alto sax. The guitar was great but the restaurant was a too small to take the volume of the sax! He was a good player and we enjoyed his jazz, it was just a little too loud!