“Excellent dining (but you pay for it)”

MacCallum House Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
MacCallum House Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 24 Restaurants in Mendocino
Price range: US$12 - US$37
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Lansing St.
Transit: Mendocino Transit Authority.
Reviewed 19 August 2014

A very good dining experiences. The steamer clam chowder is simply stunning-- simply fresh whole clams steamed in a savory broth with toppings of croutons, bacon, and other goodies. Pork chop was grilled perfectly and I mean perfectly. Service was efficient, good timing and pacing, and friendly (but not overwhelming)

Reviewed 19 August 2014

The ambiance and views from the Victorian side of the restaurant were amazing and breathtaking. You are sitting with a view of the gardens and its very welcoming. We were seated near the fireplace and it gave the area a very romantic, cozy atmosphere. The fine dining part of the restaurant was delicious. The chef, really knows how to pair the perfect ingredients together. I have never had so many mouthwatering portions of what Id consider simple foods before. Like I ordered Caprese Salad & my husband ordered Clam Chowder. My dish had homemade mozzarella cheese, garden fresh tomatoes and this fantastic drizzling of balsamic/olive oil that tasted different from most other versions of this same dish. My husband's clam chowder had clams still in their shells!, a thinner broth than than the usual over thick and creamy kind and it looked and tasted delicious. It really was food that I could never create myself at home and that's when you know you are eating a masterpiece. This chef had unique flavor profiles. I really, really enjoyed it.

Then there is the bar part of the restaurant which is a bit more casual and has a few other menu items not offered in the fine dining like friend chicken and a nightly noodle dish. My husband loved what he ordered that night but I wasn't as impressed as I was with the fine dining which for me is rare because I usually prefer comfort foods over fine dining. Their ice tea was even a treat! It had this shot of mint in it that I was not expecting. I really enjoyed all the places the flavors took me.

The breakfast is served in the same restaurant in the morning. There were a lot of different choices, all of them gourmet but also comforting and filling. I enjoyed the corn meal pancakes with blackberry syrup and hazelnut butter the most. Food is based on the season and what is naturally available. Eggs come from their own chickens, veggies from their own garden.

Also, the service here was wonderful!! Both my husband and I do not drink. I have sometimes found in fine dining places that not ordering an alcoholic drink makes the waiters not as attentive for whatever reason but all the servers were very attentive and kind and did not make either of us feel unwanted. I really enjoyed my meals here and a great staff doesn't hurt either. Cheers! Our time at the MacCullum House was a wonderful experience. Cheers!

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Dinner was excellent. The interior of the old house is gorgeous. The staff was attentive.
Our fish was prepared perfectly with vegetables and other side dishes that made the meals attractive and flavorful. I would highly recommend the restaurant.

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Bar was open but dining room was closed for dinner the night we went. Had wooden nickels to get discount in drinks. Good discount. Beautiful bar and great service by the bartender. Ok selection of wine and beer. Cozy setting. Expensive without the wooden nickels. Dining room menu appears limited.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

The MacCallum House Restaurant is in an hotel more than 100 years old in the heart of Mendocino. It is lined with mahogany woodwork with two stone fire places. The service was friendly and efficient. There were quite a few servers for a medium sized restaurant. The food was excellent. We had the King salmon, which was caught locally; the spaghetti squash vegetarian special; and the scallops. The wine list was extensive. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Jim M