“Classy establishment, lovely food, but a tad expensive”

MacCallum House Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
MacCallum House Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 23 Restaurants in Mendocino
Price range: US$12 - US$37
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Lansing St.
Transit: Mendocino Transit Authority.
Hitchin, United Kingdom
“Classy establishment, lovely food, but a tad expensive”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We had dinner there during our stay in Mendocino - family of five, including two adults and three small children. Although I don't think there's a formal dress code, I felt under-dressed in my shorts and t-shirt compared to other diners, and a little conscious of bringing young children into the establishment, verified somewhat by discovering the absence of a childrens menu!

The staff, however, were exceptionally friendly and accommodating, quickly put us at ease and offered a number of dishes they could prepare for the children. They were also attentive when it came to re-filling drinks. I ordered the fish of the day (scallops and prawns) and my wife the pork chop. Both dishes were excellent and well cooked, as were the breaded chicken the kids chose. There restaurant also has an extensive wine list and a number of fantastic Californian beers. After a day of driving Route 1, we chose the latter!

Overall MacCallum House was a lovely dining experience, and only fails to get 5 stars because I've had similar quality elsewhere for a fair few less $.

• Visited August 2014

Sunnyvale, CA
“Excellent dining (but you pay for it)”
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

A very good dining experiences. The steamer clam chowder is simply stunning-- simply fresh whole clams steamed in a savory broth with toppings of croutons, bacon, and other goodies. Pork chop was grilled perfectly and I mean perfectly. Service was efficient, good timing and pacing, and friendly (but not overwhelming)

Nevada City, California
“A Versatile & Delicious Restaurant”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The ambiance and views from the Victorian side of the restaurant were amazing and breathtaking. You are sitting with a view of the gardens and its very welcoming. We were seated near the fireplace and it gave the area a very romantic, cozy atmosphere. The fine dining part of the restaurant was delicious. The chef, really knows how to pair the perfect ingredients together. I have never had so many mouthwatering portions of what Id consider simple foods before. Like I ordered Caprese Salad & my husband ordered Clam Chowder. My dish had homemade mozzarella cheese, garden fresh tomatoes and this fantastic drizzling of balsamic/olive oil that tasted different from most other versions of this same dish. My husband's clam chowder had clams still in their shells!, a thinner broth than than the usual over thick and creamy kind and it looked and tasted delicious. It really was food that I could never create myself at home and that's when you know you are eating a masterpiece. This chef had unique flavor profiles. I really, really enjoyed it.

Then there is the bar part of the restaurant which is a bit more casual and has a few other menu items not offered in the fine dining like friend chicken and a nightly noodle dish. My husband loved what he ordered that night but I wasn't as impressed as I was with the fine dining which for me is rare because I usually prefer comfort foods over fine dining. Their ice tea was even a treat! It had this shot of mint in it that I was not expecting. I really enjoyed all the places the flavors took me.

The breakfast is served in the same restaurant in the morning. There were a lot of different choices, all of them gourmet but also comforting and filling. I enjoyed the corn meal pancakes with blackberry syrup and hazelnut butter the most. Food is based on the season and what is naturally available. Eggs come from their own chickens, veggies from their own garden.

Also, the service here was wonderful!! Both my husband and I do not drink. I have sometimes found in fine dining places that not ordering an alcoholic drink makes the waiters not as attentive for whatever reason but all the servers were very attentive and kind and did not make either of us feel unwanted. I really enjoyed my meals here and a great staff doesn't hurt either. Cheers! Our time at the MacCullum House was a wonderful experience. Cheers!

LA
“Beautiful old hotel wonderful food”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Dinner was excellent. The interior of the old house is gorgeous. The staff was attentive.
Our fish was prepared perfectly with vegetables and other side dishes that made the meals attractive and flavorful. I would highly recommend the restaurant.

• Visited August 2014
Burlingame, California
“Nice bar”
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Bar was open but dining room was closed for dinner the night we went. Had wooden nickels to get discount in drinks. Good discount. Beautiful bar and great service by the bartender. Ok selection of wine and beer. Cozy setting. Expensive without the wooden nickels. Dining room menu appears limited.