“still the best after all these years”

Sea Gull Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 25 Mendocino B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 December 2008

Having lived in the town of Mendocino during the 70s, I've seen a lot of B and Bs come and go. There's never been a more consistently warm, welcoming and comfortable place than the Sea Gull.
You can expect a delicious breakfast in bed with your sweetie while the rain pours down, the gulls cry and the sea roils just outside your window. Or you can simply get back to the relaxed person/people you used to be while Jim and Ayla look after your creature comforts and make you feel at home.
There's nothing pretentious here--just a long legacy of small town charm at unbeatable value. Which is why we've been coming back for 30+ years.

Reviewed 13 December 2008

My oldest son, myself, and best pal rode our motorcycles for a three day weekend to the coast. It was poring rain when we arrived at the Sea Gull Inn. The owner, Jim Douglas, led us immediately to our rooms first to get out of the rain then I later returned to do the formal check in. That was greatly appreciated. We booked the Geranium room which is one of the largest rooms and it was perfect to handle three guys and all of the moto gear. The beds were comfy and we all slept well during our two night stay. The breakfast was tasty and filling and set a positive tone for our daily rides and explorations on the motorcycles.

I liked the Sea Gull Inn so much that two weeks later I stayed there again with another riding buddy for another fantastic motorcycle weekend!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 November 2008

We were welcomed warmly by the owner Ayla, complete with some tips on what we might enjoy while in town. The room we got, lookout 2, was wonderful. Nice and clean. Very quaint. Rustic & homey but not old and decrepit. And the smell of the place. How wonderful to keep coming back each day to the sweet smell of our room. I'm almost sad that it's in the middle of town where you can easily go out and explore the beautiful town of Mendocino. If it were a bit out of the way, you wouldn't mind being stuck there. Warning to media addicts: no tv, but they have wi-fi in the room which was great. Jim & Ayla were very helpful when we asked for a pot of hot water for our tea or a corkscrew for the wine we brought. They always bring it to you with style. And don't get me started on the breakfast they take to your room. Simple and scrumptuous! If I could, I would do that alan alda-ellen burstyn thing (same time next year) - which was actually, filmed in the mendocino area. This inn was just a great way to spend a quiet break in a magical sleepy town.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 October 2008

My son got married in Mendocino on September 6, 2008. He had recommended the Sea Gull to us.
My mother and I shared a room, which was very nice and very clean. I loved the large bathroom, and I loved how accommodating Jim and Ayla were.
The very first day, my 84 year old mother accidently locked herself into the room. Jim came with the keys, but she kept turning the locks while we were trying to unlock the door. So as to not further exasperate my poor confused mother, Jim climbed out onto the roof to go into the bedroom window and rescue her!
You can't ask for anything better than that kind of concern for a guest.
Several other members of the wedding party were also staying at the Inn. We all had a fabulous experience.
And I totally disagree with some other comments about the breakfast. Did that traveler not realize that everything that was being served was not only homemade and delicious, but also extremely healthy? Guess he should go across the street for the eggs and bacon, as suggested by another reviewer. As for me, thanks for the fresh juice, the great yogurt, the awesome scones and muffins, and the wonderful, hot coffee. I also got a kick out of seeing you do the dishes, Jim!
I would recommend the Sea Gull to any of my friends, and I will certainly stay there again when I am in Mendocino.
Carol from Savannah, GA

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 October 2008

The Sea Gull Inn is a very special place. I have been bringing my daughter here for 20 years. This time she asked ME, if we could spend a couple days. It is quaint, charming and inviting. The service is good, the new owners are terrific. They have mantained all the charm that we remember. Close to restaurants and shop, and even the beach, you are able to walk all over the town of Mendocino. It is truly like stepping back in time. When I was younger my father brought me to Mendocino and we always stayed at the Sea Gull Inn. So this is a at least a 40 year family tradition. Enjoy!

Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank coolmomma28
Reviewed 22 September 2008

We stayed one nite at the Sea Gull Inn on our way to Napa from Portland, Oregon. We had "The Barn" room, 2 bedrooms and living room in the back of the property. Nice room, $195/nt, but the breakfast was nothing special, fruit and a muffin. There was no refrig, no micro, and no coffeemaker! For the price, it was disappointing. Good location in the center of town, and the owners are very nice too!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2008

Run by the world's friendlinest innkeepers, which in a place this small counts for a lot. Charming gardens all around this truly historic Mendo B and B. Prices are reasonable, breakfast is lovely (egg and bacon fans need to go across the street) and they will cater to your every need. Everything works, though ummm, stuff is OLD. (Built in 1880.s)...so don't bring a bunch of appliances needing power etc.
Quiet freaks will like the Barn better and the Geranium room...just ask. And only shrimps will like the Sea Urchin room.
WIFi works, our bath was spacious and everyone will like the 9 pound towels.
Right down town.