“Such a wonderful place to spend a quiet night”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mendocino
Point Cabrillo Light Station
Ranked #16 of 25 Mendocino B&B and Inns
San Diego, California
“Such a wonderful place to spend a quiet night”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We booked the West Cottage and had a delightful evening there. The cottages appear tiny from the outside but were actually very spacious inside. There was a fridge and microwave so we did not need to go into town for dinner or breakfast. We took both sunset and sunrise hikes and the views were spectacular. What a truly delightful place to spend a peaceful overnight.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank anameineed

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Chico, California
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I booked the West Cottage for a romantic anniversary getaway for later this year. Although I haven't enjoyed my stay yet, I had such a great experience with Terry at the Mendocino Coast Reservations property management that I just had to post a compliment.
She was very knowledgeable about the property and had a lot of good tips for a nice stay. She was upbeat and courteous and made it very easy to book my reservation.

Good job and thank you very much!

Room Tip: The west cottage is located furthest from the main inn and reports to be a bit more private.
Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Trish R
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 22 July 2010

An absolutely top notch place to stay, relax and enjoy all that nature on the North Coast of California has to offer. Great food, drink and shop-hopping in the town of Mendocino = art colony and wine mecca. Nearby walking trails and interesting beaches and a nice wreck dive is also available for the water hounds.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tamccann
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 31 January 2010

This is a truly unique location. Away from the town of Mendocino, in an isolated spot next to the lighthouse of Mendocino. Deer are walking around freely and at night it is just you, the lighthouse, the sea and the quietness. It is als a nice area to go for short walks or an early morning run.

I would definitely advise this B&B to others, however just beware if you ask for an exception. As we had decided to get married on the grounds of the property in a private ceremony with just us and the minister, we asked the caretaker if we could check in a bit earlier (around 1-2 pm instead of 3 pm) since we were arriving on the day of our wedding and wanted to refresh ourselves. However, the caretaker was rather uncooperative and formal when we contacted him before we arrived and told us we couldn't check in before 3 pm even after we explained our situation. We arrived early anyway and managed to check in early with another person who was there, so everything turned out all right. But this formal response did surprise me, especially considering the price you're paying for a stay.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Cosmos_Estrela
Rosamond
Reviewed 24 July 2009

I stayed at the Point Cabrillo Lighthouse Inn in July of 2009. The inn is located on an oceanside bluff on a nature preserve with miles of ocean trails and wildlife. The lighthouse is located several hundred yards down the road. The inn is beautifully restored and maintained. The inn has an enclosed porch in the front, a sitting room with a fireplace, a dining room, and upstairs are four lovely bedrooms, each with their own bathroom. This is a very pleasant and quiet place to stay. Jim, the innkeeper, and also the lighthouse keeper is very friendly and knowledgeable about the lighthouse and the history of the area. He is also very concerned that you have a pleasant stay here. The
inn serves 5-course gourmet breakfasts each morning, and I must say the food is most excellent and fulfilling. Jim also gives a complimentary tour of the lighthouse after the breakfast. This is an isolated and peaceful location, yet the town is only a few miles away. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this inn.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank RosamondRosamondguy
Porterville, CA
Reviewed 11 May 2009

We stayed at the Lighthouse Inn for two nights, and we will definitely return. The inn itself is an example of authentic restoration done with great attention to detail. Restoration enthusiasts will appreciate the work that has gone into it, historians will appreciate the innkeeper's tour of the lighthouse, and guests just wanting to relax will love the serenity and beauty of the site. The village of Mendocino is close by and is charming, but the Lighthouse Inn is a destination in itself.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Forestville, California
Reviewed 23 March 2009

I first stayed at the Lighthouse Inn at Point Cabrillo in May 2007, not all that long after they opened as a B&B (see my original review dated May 7, 2007 “Go to the Lighthouse--it’s a keeper”). My most recent stay of 2 nights this past week was very nearly as enjoyable an experience as the initial one. This time we shared the Inn with a few more guests than previously and that did detract a bit from the very selfish but exuberant feeling of having the property as a private retreat. During the day, of course, the State Historic Park is open to the general public. There were certainly visitors but not that many during our stay. Even with classes of school children present during certain periods, the property is so large that it's easy to avoid being in a group, if you wish. During special events and high season weekends, that would become more difficult.

This visit we stayed in the Lighthouse Room which has the only direct view of the Lighthouse itself. The unique vantage point was delightful as we observed the iconic structure and its surroundings in a whole array of different light and weather. At night the window shades did a decent job of blocking out the strong beam that swept over the grounds every 10 seconds. One could still see light at the sides of the long shades, but this didn’t keep me from a very restful and deep sleep. Thermostat-controlled heat kept us quite comfortable and we never needed to change the settings. I really liked having a small entry area in the room rather than walking directly from the hall into our sleeping area. This area also had a bureau chest for clothes (the rooms don’t have closets) and even had a small window, so all parts of our room had natural light. It was a real treat to have windows that fully opened and were without the screens that normally obscure views. In my original review I mentioned a “temperamental toilet” which needed to be flushed a couple of times. Well, on this stay I discovered the correct technique of holding down the chain of the overhead tank--and success!

Having taken the full, fabulous tour of the property given by Jim Kimbrell, the Innkeeper, the last time we visited, we opted for a shortened version given by Dan, a most knowledgeable and personable member of the Lightkeepers Association. The property’s history, geology, wildlife, and the technical aspects of the light station are so rich and complex that each tour reveals new and fascinating pieces of information, so even if you are a repeat guest, I recommend taking a tour during each stay. The special tour of the property for guests of the Inn used to be given in the evening, but are now begun at 10:30 a.m., perfect timing following the superbly delicious and incredibly filling multi-course breakfast. Breakfast is served rather late (for many people) at 9 a.m., but it is definitely worth waiting for. Coffee is available in the dining room by 7:30 a.m. Plan for very leisurely beginnings to your days. This is a place to stay and relax, not to rush off to pursue a packed agenda!

Some side notes regarding refreshments at the Inn: The hors d'oeuvres served each day in the late afternoon (4:30 p.m.) are ample enough that at least a couple of other guests were way too full to go out to dinner! We had to restrict ourselves to only nibbling a bit since we had dinner planned on both nights (the Mendo Bistro in Fort Bragg and Cafe Beaujolais in Mendocino--both excellent restaurants). The Inn is restricted by State law to serving only one glass of wine per guest per evening, so bring or buy a bottle of your own; the congenial and attentive staff will provide glasses.

I had two interesting experiences during my stay which may or may not have been encounters with a resident ghost. My husband had gone out at dawn to photograph while I was still sleeping and had locked our door (the rooms now have locks and keys which was a change from my first stay). After I got up I was in our room standing several feet from the door... when it slowly opened. No one else was around. When my husband came back he confirmed that he had locked the door. The first night of our stay, while lying in bed, I heard in the distance, the very distinctive sound of footsteps that a small child would make running back and forth in short bursts. There were no children at the Inn. In the early 1900’s the lightkeepers did have families and children were ever present in the house that became the Inn. Who knows? When I mentioned these occurrences the next morning at breakfast, another guest nodded, saying “oh yes, they ARE here”.

Since our visit was in the midst of the gray whale migration season, our expectations were quite high---and they were fulfilled in a most spectacular way. I had read that one should allow an hour or more of scanning the ocean and to be very patient in the search. We literally walked up to the edge of the ocean bluff, gazed out to sea... and immediately saw whale spouts! In fact within several minutes we saw MANY spouts as well as numerous bodies break the surface of the water. The most thrilling moment came soon afterwards when I had the great fortune of seeing a fluke completely emerge from the water--I just happened to have my binoc’s positioned exactly in the right spot. WOW! Later we walked one of the trails thru the expansive nature preserve and came eventually to 2 waterfalls which spilled down the cliff and entered the ocean. There were also steps (steep but negotiable) that ventured down to the beach. We admired clusters of bright daffodils and wild iris amongst the grasses, saw deer roaming and grazing, and were escorted on our walks around the lighthouse by “Gilbert the Goose” who had been in residence there for about 6 months, apparently forsaking his former flock at Van Damme State Park (south of Mendocino) and resettling where he had “more space”. He chose well! One guest took an early morning walk and saw both of the coyotes that live somewhere in the preserve. Sunset brought a beautiful display of crimsons and purples washing across the sky as the clouds and light merged over the expanse of dark ocean. These are the kinds of moments that are all there awaiting guests of the Lighthouse Inn at Point Cabrillo! It remains an incomparable and magical place.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Forestvillian
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendocino
Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites
#1 of 2 in Little River
Brewery Gulch Inn
Brewery Gulch Inn
#1 of 25 in Mendocino

Been to Point Cabrillo Light Station? Share your experiences!