“Almost there”

Trillium Cafe
Ranked #4 of 25 Restaurants in Mendocino
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Trillium is a restaurant and inn. We think of ourselves as casual fine dining, with indoor and outdoor dining, weather permitting. We focus on serving fresh, seasonal, organic California cuisine. We try to source as many things locally as possible. Local, wild caught fish, grass fed meats, organic veggies. We have a small, 3 room B & B above the Restaurant with cute rooms with ocean views, and breakfast each morning.
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I was looking forward to a great meal at a new restaurant. The restaurant itself is physically the same as when it was The Moose. That means all hard surfaces, no table cloths, no carpets, nothing to mute the jarring sounds or to dampen the loud voices of the diners very close together. The bread sticks - only 1 a piece - were yeasty, warm & tasty. The amuse bouche was a cold cooked mushroom topped with - get this, pureed nasturtium leaf. Nice green color, but very bitter tasting. This pureed nasturtium and the whole leaf found its way onto the plate of the crab strudel. The plate was beautiful, but the crab was not fresh. The star of the meal had to be the Trillium's version of the wedge salad . Two of us split one and were quite pleased. My fillet was flavorful, tender & juicy. My companion, however, had the pork tenderloin that looked and tasted like leather shoe tongues. It was overcooked and tasteless. While the service was friendly, we waited a long time for our wine to be served. There were long intervals between courses, with nary an extra breadstick - or anything- to nibble on. Our server was sweet but never returned after serving to inquire about further needs or comments. Hopefully, this restaurant will improve as it seems to have the potential to become the finest dining establishment on the coast.

1  Thank Freedacat

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We had such a fabulous lunch at Trillium Cafe that we went back for dinner. The soup is awesome! The soup of the day when we were there was a black bean soup with a cucumber sauce. I had the kale caesar salad with grilled chicken, which was wonderful.
For dinner I had the crab strudel as an appetizer it was great! And for an entree I had the Fettuccine Alfredo, it was delicious and perfectly spiced! They have wonderful homemade vanilla ice cream and good cappuccinos! The wine is good. The service is excellent!

1  Thank Morgan M
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We recently stayed in Mendocino and had dinner at Trillium Cafe on our last night there. My husband and I had the same meal (salmon with faro and quinoa, with a strawberry and rhubarb crisp for desert), and everything was perfectly prepared. We would definitely go there again.

2  Thank Susan T
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We had lunch at Trillium and it was one of tsar highlights of our stay on the Mendocino coast. The service was top class (we assumed she must have been the owner but she assured us that she wasn't but that as the restaurant is new they all want it to succeed). We sat on ten patio as the weather was good and the little garden makes a wonderful setting. The food lived up to the setting and the service. Highly recommended.

3  Thank R0bSing
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The husband and wife chefs and proprietors do an excellent job with selection of fresh ingredients and preparation. They pair flavors and textures of foods in a glorious way that we loved. I enjoyed the special of the day which was rabbit stew (slow cooked goodness) served over creamy polenta. AWESOME! My wife had the pork chops served with an apple glaze...simply perfect. But our appetizer was fresh Dungeness crab schnitzel...baked to perfection with the crispy outer crust made of filo dough and a creamy cheese inside complimenting the crab. Scrumptious...and I can taste it now. Mouthwatering. I recommend reservations on the weekend.

2  Thank Hugh G