“Very good food, tables a little crowded”
Review of Trillium Cafe

Trillium Cafe
Ranked #4 of 24 Restaurants in Mendocino
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
London
“Very good food, tables a little crowded”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

I had a rabbit ragout on polenta, my wife had local line caught salmon, freshly smoked/cooked. The ragout was very comforting, lightly spiced and flavourful and very good, but not exceptional. The fish was really outstanding, an excellent dish. Bread searved was very good. We had a dessert but now cant remember what - I recall it being very good as well. The waiter was very helpful and friendly, gave good advice on the wine, and replaced a glass when we tried something that we did not like - we know our wine and while this had a unique taste and one could argue it was just not for our palate, I think it was more likely a cheap deal and weak showing. But, I liked the fact that the vast majority of the list was local, Mendocino wine. The one detraction is that the tables were small and crammed in there so they could fit a lot of covers. To be fair, the layout of the place is poor, probably because its a period building, but they really could make it more comfortable taking out a couple tables (which should have been cut a little bigger in the first place. Hey guys, it matters! I know its a trade off to get more revenues per day by packing more covers in, but don't think its does not detract from the overall service! My shoulder was against a wall the whole night. As such I still give this a strong recommendation but given the cost per plate, I think they could have done a better job on layout.

Visited August 2014

Olympia, Washington
“So good we went back for dinner”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I had seen reviews of Trillium on Trip Advisor, so when we passed it on the street, we immediately decided to go in for a late lunch. My husband had a chicken sandwich and my granddaughter had a kale Caesar salad with chicken. And I had the very best grilled cheese sandwich I have ever had - wonderful cheese, sun dried tomatoes, and basil - grilled to perfection. My husband and I also had an excellent black bean soup with cucumber cream and cilantro - invented by the chef when they ran out of the chicken tortilla soup that was the soup of the day. Hand cut potatoes were used for the fries. Homemade vanilla ice cream was superb.

So we went back for dinner and enjoyed another a good meal, although it was not as good as that grilled cheese sandwich I had for lunch. Good value.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Lynne M
mendocino
“Cute but average”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We have had two lunches at Trillium now and both were just ok. The room is nice and the service is adequate, although our server who was training a new employee did not know the menu well enough to answer a basic question. The soup of the day could have used more seasoning and the chicken caesar was tasty enough but very small and overdressed with the cheese under the salad and two stale croutons. The pesto flatbread was like a little pizza without the "pile of greens" promised on top, just a few leafs. The burger and fries we had on our first visit was good. We really wanted to like this place as Mendocino has limited options for a nice lunch. Perhaps dinner is the time to go based on others reviews.

LA
“Great little restaurant”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We had a wonderful meal in a friendly atmosphere. The food and flavors couldn't be better.The menu was creative.The salmon was the best I've had in years.

Albany, California, United States
“good food, nice setting, tourist prices”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The appetizers were great, the entrees were above average (but a little too salty)... the dessert was a little undercooked. But everything was creative and tasty. Service was very good for a small town. A little pricey but I would recommend this to someone looking for a cosy restaurant in Mendocino.

1 Thank Damon L