“Great Place to Stay!”
Review of Packard House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mendocino
Packard House
Ranked #12 of 25 Mendocino B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 May 2014

My brother and I decided to explore somewhere with in a few hours driving distance outside of San Francisco. He works in tec there and I was visiting from Minnesota. We were looking for somewhere close to town, walking distance. Packard House is very close, only 2 blocks away! Our room was clean and breakfast was great (pancakes, eggs, coffee, juice...)! We met the rest of those that stayed at the house at 9am and ate breakfast with everyone. Each morning we chatted about what we did the previous day and shared stories. There was about 8 of us.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Packard House

Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

Second visit to the Packard House. Booked a basic room for bday weekend and we were upgraded to their gorgeous cottage!! Huge jetted tubs, incredibly comfy beds, high-end decor, local wine and appetizer hour every night by the fireplace, and the most phenomenal breakfasts ever (5 stars, hands down). The chef even gave us their recipe for sweet potato pancakes! Won't stay anywhere else when we visit the north coast!! Very hospitable and amazing staff... Stellar service. They have two sister properties that are worth checking out as well if the Packard is booked.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I had a concern with my stay. Nan was unable to provide an answer to my concern regarding whether or not, as I was advised, I was the only person in the property. I am a single senior citizen and hearing someone in an upstairs room after being advised I was the only person at the property made me very uncomfortable staying there. At approx 7pm, I left the property and when she finally called back to advise she was unable to say if someone else was there, I advised her I was going to stay elsewhere.
I understand this was my choice to be able to sleep that night, however, since I had not touched the room, received any amenities or food and they had been unable to advise if I was in fact alone at the property, I called Nan the next day to ask if they might consider a partial credit. I understood this was entirely up to their consideration.
Not only did she show no concern, she was so nasty, negative and vicious in responses I finally just hung up. The person who greeted me on arrival was very pleasant and helpful however I do not recall her name.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Mary C
Reviewed 23 February 2014

we stayed here over columbus day weekend for a quick getawy and really enjoyed it. our host, nan, prepared the most delicious breakfasts which included two courses-a sweet first and a savory second-which was more than enough to keep you going through the day. breakfast is only served at one time slot-9 am-which worked well for us as it gave me the chance to go out for a run first to the beautiful nearby headlands. she also has afternoon wine and snacks when you arrive in the late afternoon which is a nice touch after a long drive.

we stayed in the chapman point room which we liked. the room was not huge but it was well appointed with a comfortable bed, a nice sitting area (for 1) and Kiehl's toiletries. it also had a jetted tub as i recall which we did not use. we would definitely stay here again and appreciated nan's information and insights into the area.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I had such high hopes. We are frequent travelers to this area. I wanted to stay at a sister property but could never reach anyone. Should have been a flag. I booked a cottage room. Sounded great. Sounded private n quiet. Just what we wanted for our late romantic Valentine's day. Upon arriving the inn is locked. We were here at 3:20. Had to wring bell. Inn keeper had no idea we were coming. She had forgotten to check the computer(2nd flag) showed us to our cottage. Maybe I'm wrong but a cottage should be separate from a house and since it had said private entrance and we weren't eating in the main house I figured we would be separate from the house nope (3rd flag). It's maybe a 14' by 10' space maybe. It does have a separate entrance 10 feet from the other door. But that's it for similarities. The picture from packard house showed a king bed nope it was a queen. The blurb said quiet nope. One whole wall of our cottage is connected to the main house. It also happens to be there office and kitchen. You hear everything and I mean every glass, plate, phone call or drawer slamming. Just fyi it starts about 7:45 in the am. Also none of the Windows open for fresh air, one blind was covered in mildew and there were cobwebs taking over one whole corner. Maybe it's wrong but for 200 plus a night hearing everything next door and being woke up to banging and voices is not my idea of private nor great. Overall I fear this is our one and only time ever here. There are way more places that actually are quiet n kept up here in Mendocino. Sorry Packard House, you were a dream that turned into a mistake.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the Kasten cottage if you want any peace or quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sara B
Reviewed 9 February 2014

My boyfriend and I spent a romantic weekend in Sonoma & Mendocino in Feb 2014. We stayed one night at the Garden Court room.

The breakfast was really delicious. However, the lady prepared two courses instead of just a buffet, so the other couple, who was there as well, actually had to wait for us.

The house is very elegant and modern. You should also check out the other two hotels of that chain in Mendocino.

Room Tip: We stayed at the Garden Court room. It's rather small (still ok for two people though), and has...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Claudia R
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We just returned from our lovely stay Nov 7-9, 2013. We stayed for two nights in the Pacific View room. On a clear day, you can see the ocean in the distance, so the room is true to it's name. The room is somewhat smaller than what we expected based on the pictures, but the room was comfy and clean and the bed had very nice linens and pillows. The provided robes were also very nice, although one had a small hole. There was also a long strand of hair on the interior sheets that we noticed when we pulled back the sheets. Nothing major; just little details we noticed and didn't expect when paying $300 a night.

In the Pacific View room, the bath and separate jetted tub are in one open room (no door for privacy, so be sure you're sharing the room with someone you don't mind seeing you shower ;)). The toilet and sink are in a separate small room on other side of the room. We didn't mind this and it was actually nice to be able to get ready as someone else showered in the other area. We used the jetted tub as well and it was nice. Just be aware that it is quite loud and we were wary of disturbing other guests as we were on the top floor. Very nice Kiehl's bath products were provided.

The breakfast on the first day consisted of a baked apple topped with granola and a wonderful sauce (not sure, but it seemed similar to a crème anglaise) as the first course and a Belgian waffle with fresh berries as the main course. I am vegetarian, so I received extra berries. My partner and other non-veg guests enjoyed the same waffle and berries with a side of locally made sausage. We also enjoyed the great orange juice and coffee. On day two, course one was a poached pear in a tangy citrus sauce of some sort. It was good, but verged on cloyingly sweet. I much preferred the baked apple from the day before. Main course was a baked frittatas served with toast and a really good jam. My dish was vegetarian with no meat, but others' frittatas had what I believe was chicken sausage from the day before. It was piping hot, light, fluffy yet filling and delicious. Everything you'd want in a homemade breakfast. We had a great time conversing with the other guests on both days.

Things that we noticed that other guests may want to know:There wasn't a mini-fridge in our room, so if you have wine or water you want to chill, you can't unfortunately. When the innkeepers leave for the day, the kitchen is closed, so no ice either. Also, note that breakfast is served at 9 a.m., which is noted on their site, so shouldn't be a surprise. But if you are an early riser or get hungry earlier than that, you may want to have light snacks in your room or venture out to one of the nearby local cafes or bakeries for something to tide you over. Nice thing is, fresh, hot coffee is served downstairs starting at 8 a.m.

It was both of our first times staying in a B&B and we would return to Packard House again (or try another property in the Blue Door group!). The innkeepers were extremely friendly and you can tell they love what they do. The grounds and gardens of the inn are beautiful and the town of Mendocino is very charming. We had a great time!

Room Tip: The Pacific Room is the first room on the left at the top of the stairs. It is the window that faces...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple