“Excellent”

Stanford Inn by the Sea
Ranked #6 of 25 Mendocino B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Everything about the place was excellent. The staff, the rooms, the wood burning fireplaces, the land and of course the food! Fabulous. I am not a vegan, but if I could eat like this everyday I would reconsider. And Mendocino is a beautiful place to visit. Would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Joan S, Owner at Stanford Inn by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Thank you, George, for the kind review. We are glad to know that you had such a wonderful stay...can't wait to welcome you back! All the best in the New Year to you both.

Reviewed 14 December 2013

Yes, the Stanford Inn is expensive, but you get your money's worth. One of the best doggie friendly hotels, your dogs get sweet potato chips every night and fresh dog sheets. Water and food bowls are in the room. Doggie walker bags and trash cans are spread throughout their beautiful property which includes llamas, donkeys and ducks. The Ravens vegan restaurant allows dogs in the outer dining area so when you make a reservation, mention that you pups will be dining with you. Yeah, the dogs are well taken care of, but what about me? You get cookies in your room every night, access to one of the best vegan restaurants around (open breakfast/lunch/dinner), a comfortable/peaceful room and the hotel is near outdoor activities. Right next to the hotel is a place to rent bikes or an outrigger canoe. Highly recommend the outrigger canoe and paddle up the river. We saw 2 sets of river otters, seals and blue heron all within an hour of paddling. Massage therapists are hit-and-miss - Ask the front desk for their recommendation on who to get. The hot tub is great! Nice and hot with pounding jets! One note about the restaurant, Ravens - I'm not vegan and I still loved the food. Excellently prepared, not a bad meal, ever.

Stanford Inn is my #1 choice to stay in Mendocino. Well worth it!

1  Thank SCBerry
Joan S, Owner at Stanford Inn by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2013

We are so happy to hear you had a wonderful stay, both you and the pups!
Though Ravens' isn't open for lunch (just breakfast/dinner), we're glad to know you so enjoyed.
We hope to see you again soon, and wish you a wonderful Christmas and all good things to come in the New Year.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

We were so delighted with our first night at Stanford Inn we chose to add another day to enjoy all of the wonderful hospitality, beautiful grounds and fabulous food for another evening. We also gave a gift certificate to another couple so they could enjoy this little piece of heaven ,

1  Thank austrianpine

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, and thank you once more for choosing us as a gift to your friends. We look forward to seeing them here, and hope to welcome you back as well! Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I am winding up my first visit to the inn with my fiancé and our dog. What a gem!

I shared with one of the super helpful friendly staff that I have never stayed somewhere that so closely matched my personal taste and ethics.

Thought has been given to the most minute details to make a perfectly welcoming environment to their two-legged and four-legged guests. They seem to hit all the right notes.

The warm wood paneled room, pre-loaded fireplace and private deck with magnificent ocean views make you feel like you are staying in a private luxury cabin.

The grounds and are perfectly landscaped for strolls with the dog and beautifully lit after dark. Boxes of doggie clean-up bags are stashed strategically around the exterior.

The staff has been uniformly pleasant, helpful and appropriately attentive.

The food, vegan haute cuisine, is a dream for anyone trying to follow a plant-strong diet, but hearty enough to satisfy any carnivore. I especially appreciated the fresh carrot juice at breakfast.

The pool house has a steamy, tropical feel and the massage cabin allows you to relax to the sounds of the forest during your massage.

Once you pull yourself away from this lovely property, the village of Mendocino is less than five minutes away.

I loved my stay here and hope to return often.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor for sweeping views of the Pacific.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank oldblue09

Oh thank you so much for the wonderful review! We look forward to welcoming you back, and wish you and yours a wonderful Christmas this year. See you next time...

Reviewed 12 November 2013

We stayed one night in the wing nearest the lobby (the property does sprawl a bit, and some rooms are at a distance). Reception was informal and friendly (to our canine member as well) and the room was quite comfortable with all the expected amenities, plus a fireplace with plenty of wood. A great bed, by the way -- I slept very well. The overall feeling is pleasantly rustic, and the view out over trees is restful. A one-night stay probably didn't do it justice -- I think it would e a lovely base for exploring the area.

Room Tip: The building near the lobby is convenient to the dining room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Michael M
Joan S, Owner at Stanford Inn by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Thank you Michael, we're glad you had a nice stay and enjoyed all. We hope to welcome you back someday and wish you a warm and happy holiday season!

Reviewed 9 November 2013

This beautiful and rustic inn overlooking the Pacific is a perfect escape from the city. When we checked in, there was "spa" music playing in our room, fresh baked cookies waiting for us, and a wood-burning fireplace with plenty of wood for our stay. The grounds include their garden where they grow the herbs and most of the veggies served in their Vegan restaurant. I'm not a Vegan, but did enjoy the complementary breakfast. The view from our balcony of the Pacific and its magnificent sunsets was the perfect end to the evenings.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, and we are glad to hear it was a joyful one. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you're ready to escape the city :) Wishing you a warm and happy holiday season!

Reviewed 28 October 2013

We had a top floor fireplaced room with an ocean view -- last minute booking, and a discount from their regular rate but not cheap by any means. Full breakfast was included in the rate.

Now for the reality check. The ocean was on the other side of Highway 1, and the only way we had a view is if we stood on the balcony and turned a bit sideways to face it directly. Not bad, but not exactly what I expected. Furthermore, highway noise drowned out most of the surf sound. Our wood burning fireplace produced a lot of smoke -- we had to leave the balcony door open to keep the smoke down, which isn't optimal when it's chilly enough to warrant a fire.

The full breakfast was available off the menu at the hotel's vegan restaurant. NON-VEGANS should note that there are ZERO options for dairy products or eggs here. This place is *not* ovo-lacto vegetarian. It is fully vegan. I asked for some kind of accommodation but was given none -- e.g., they could have given us a credit so we could buy breakfast in town somewhere. I admit I'm a picky eater, but scrambled tofu or tempeh is not my idea of a tasty breakfast. I don't want soy butter on gluten free pancakes, or almond milk in my coffee. (Full disclosure -- I snuck in some real MILK to breakfast every morning, which I poured in my coffee and on my granola.)

This was not the pleasant coastal experience I'd expected for the price.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Joan S, Owner at Stanford Inn by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

We’re so sorry to hear that your visit was not satisfactory. Regarding the room view - All balconies look out over our lush organic gardens and beyond that, a view of the Pacific. The room views are clear in the description and room photos on our website, which show the sweeping view from your balcony.

We are also very open about the fact that we are a vegan resort, and regret that you did not understand this when you booked your stay. We have built the Inn based on our values of environmental and ethical sustainability, and a whole foods, plant-based menu fulfills both of these criteria. We, and all of our staff, work hard in providing the very best guest service, luxury accommodations, and cuisine. Unfortunately not everyone fully agrees with our philosophy and we regret that we were not the right fit for you. Thank you for your feedback.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendocino
Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites
#1 of 2 in Little River
Heritage House Resort
Heritage House Resort
#2 of 2 in Little River

Been to Stanford Inn by the Sea? Share your experiences!