Stanford Inn by the Sea
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Little River Inn(Little River)
View Hotel
Heritage House Resort(Little River)
View Hotel
Coast Inn & Spa(Fort Bragg)
Shoreline Cottages(Fort Bragg)
View Hotel
Anchor Lodge Motel(Fort Bragg)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsvegan restaurantbig riverravens restaurantindoor poolorganic gardenplant basedcooking classyoga classesspa servicesvegan breakfasteco resorthot tub and saunawood burning fireplacecanoe ridebike rentalstofuchocolate chip cookies
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I would like to begin this review by stating I have stayed here before and was amazed by my experience. That said; my second attempt to reserve a room did not have a positive outcome! On 2/25/14, I called to make a reservation for the dates of 5/24/14 through the 26th. I spoke with a very scattered Ann on the phone who initially found my return information and said the room we had stayed in prior was available. She seemed a little lost in her organization, but no big deal. She took all my information again, including my credit card information and confirmed that I had a reservation for the two night stay. We discussed the $45 pet fee and the fact that this was a special event for my spouse's birthday. Reservation confirmed. I received the confirmation, signed by Joan and Jeff Stanford, welcoming me as a return guest and thanking me for my upcoming stay.
I called and informed my spouse that we had our reservation and had just looked up the number again to make reservations for spa treatments when Ann called back to inform me that I could not stay at the hotel because it was a holiday weekend and they had a 3 night stay min for that weekend. But my reservation was confirmed? They had already ran my credit card? She agreed that the reservation was made but she had to cancel it?! Have you ever heard of this before? I have stayed at numerous First Class hotels and this has never happened before, nor would I imagine it to. I asked to speak with a manager and she said one was not on site.
I hung up miffed. After thinking about this for a while, I called back and again spoke with Ann, saying it was just too odd to have received a confirmation and then receive her call. She informed me she was presently speaking with her manager and that she needed to get off the phone so that her manager could call me.
After an hour and half of not hearing from the manager, I called back, thinking with all this hassle; who knew if the number they had was correct. Ann, let me speak with her manager Jill, who basically said...the room was canceled because of the 3 night minimum. I asked, isn't that bad business to confirm, charge a credit card and then call to say, "Oh sorry, we made a mistake?" She then accused me of harassing because I had called more than once?! No offense, Jill, but this is not how one does business...the charge is STILL on my card. You offered no kindness at all. I was not staying in one of your least expensive rooms! I was not staying a SINGLE night which is customary, but TWO! In a location that is four hours at least from most people, you don't have your receptionist say, "Can't you stay Monday night?!" We work!! We would be getting off work at 6pm and then driving to Mendocino arriving after midnight if we were to stay Friday night and I am certain the hotel would not be open to accommodate us at that hour. If we stayed Monday night we would have to miss work on Tuesday!
Again, this could have been eliminated had everyone been informed prior to reservation confirmation! It could have been dealt with as an oops, and once the reservation was made and confirmed, letting it ride and not calling and canceling in such an inappropriate negative business manner.
As a business owner myself, I know that return customers are what make a business thrive. They are the butter to your bread! Your hotel is one of the nicest in the area but with these policies and service I certainly don't feel the love. We will no be returning and that's a shame, we enjoyed you. If I can't believe a confirmation and you charge my card...

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
21  Thank ccinchico
Joan S, Owner at Stanford Inn by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Negative reviews are at times spurious, and at times valid, pointing out something we could do better. Other times they are a thundering tantrum when somebody does not get what they want. In order to run the inn we need to have minimum stays in place - otherwise rates would have to go up. This issue is about a minimum stay. But the real issue is that we do not want give energy to such reviews and we intend to no longer feed them by replying.

We are writing here to make this statement and to promise that we will address legitimate issues; ones we hope are brought to our attention when a guest encounters them here. Even a note dropped off on the desk unsigned will be attended to. We haven't had one, but the point is that we don't want to get in the way for guests to have meaningful experiences here. There is an energy here, something special, and we do our best to stay out of the way for people to experience it. We have and we do experience this as well. It's wonderful. Lastly, we won't have our staff abused - and when we arrived yesterday morning we found a nervous and upset concierge who had been put through the ringer, compliments of the reviewer.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

We stayed here on the first stop of our 'tofu trail' exploration of vegan and vegetarian restaurants between SF and Seattle. The inn was very comfortable, service and welcome was great. Indoor pool and sauna were a great surprise and really delightful as was the in room fireplace. If you are looking for waves crashing mendocino experience this probably isn't the spot but we did have views of the water and the lovely gardens and there was no road noise. Food at the restaurant was flavorful and thoughtful but portions were so big it was almost unappetizing. Service was a bit random as well. There is river access from the hotel property with rental kayaks or BYO and the town of mendocino is quite close by (although not walkable unless you want to stroll along Hwy1). We would return for the lodging but not for the food.

Room Tip: there are two 'wings' - it was a bit confusing when I booked because it sounded like I was choosing between a river view and a garden view....it seemed to me that all the rooms would have more or less the same view - although I would ask for a second floor room unless stairs were an issue
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MDS-CA

Thank you for your review and your feedback. We hope to welcome you back in the future, and wish you the best!

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Our favorite peaceful place to relax. Indoor pool in a garden room is inviting. We spent many happy hours there. The Inn is near beautiful Mendocino and the ocean which we could view from various places. We enjoyed walks and meditative stops throughout the gardens and along the bluffs. The room interior made me wish I could stay a long time. For once I was not in a hurry to leave my room and go elsewhere. Being vegans, we found the food impressive, enjoyed all our meals there and afternoon tea. There is a wonderful shop that is part of the lobby with great choice of books and creative items. We had great service and the owners are very nice.

Room Tip: Fireplace and deck are great, upstairs, closer to lodge
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Joan S, Owner at Stanford Inn by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

Thank you so much - what a pleasure to read this! We hope to welcome you back again soon, and wish you two the very best in the New Year. Until next time...

Reviewed 24 January 2014

My husband and I spent two nights here with our dog this last weekend, and loved the Stanford Inn. All staff were friendly and accommodating; our pup loved the place; the food was excellent at the restaurant; and the rooms were lovely. Thumbs up; we will definitely be going back.

Room Tip: We stayed in 208 which was lovely for being with a pup since it was on the ground floor, and had nice sun exposure for most of the day.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank uhanska

Thank you very much for the lovely review! Glad to hear that everything was enjoyed, by all. Look forward to seeing you again and wish you well in the New Year. All our best!

Reviewed 6 January 2014

The Stanford Inn is a great Eco-Resort that offers outstanding hospitality paired with comfort and delicious food. We are not Vegans, but our stay afforded us a rich opportunity to experience another dietary culture. Our entire family of six enjoyed the Inn and all the wonderful adventures the area offers. Our granddaughters thoroughly enjoyed the pool, animals, and gardens. Joan and Jeff Stanford are great hosts and literally deck the halls for the Yule time holidays!

Room Tip: The Barn Suite was a great choice for our family. While only one bath, the suite is spacious and we managed just fine.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank park516

We are so glad that you and your family were able to join us for the holidays! The Barn Suite is a great choice, and we are thrilled to hear that it worked well for everyone. We wish all of you well in the New Year, and hope to welcome you back again. All our best to you & family.