Hill House Inn
US$96
US$89
US$274
US$218
Little River Inn(Little River)
US$197
Heritage House Resort(Little River)(Great Value!)
US$203
US$186
Coast Inn & Spa(Fort Bragg)
US$111
US$89
Shoreline Cottages(Fort Bragg)(Great Value!)
US$143
Holiday Inn Express Fort Bragg(Fort Bragg)(Great Value!)
US$145
US$142
Surf Motel and Gardens(Fort Bragg)(Great Value!)
US$73
Emerald Dolphin Inn & Mini Golf(Fort Bragg)(Great Value!)
US$113
Anchor Lodge Motel(Fort Bragg)
US$72
  • Restaurant
All reviewstv showcabot covein townsliding glass doormendocino hotelhard boiled eggssister propertyroom was largebit datedvictorian styleview of the oceanyogurtfort bragggas fireplaceroad tripmurdercoast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 March 2008

My boyfriend booked a room at The Hill House Inn for my birthday on March 29th, 2008. The room decor was tacky and I felt like I was drowning in all shades of blue. There was a wall fire place that turned on with a switch. The toilet reminded me of an R.V. toilet (horrible flush). No refridgeration what so ever. The slider door to seperate the toilet from the vanity sink was hard to open and close. The bed was so bad you can feel the springs in the mattress and the worst thing of all was the ROCK HARD pillows. I felt like I was sleeping on a boulder. One thing that was nice was the view of the ocean (all though far away) but it was a clear day and blues skies....THANK GOD! Would I stay here again...NO

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank missdian
Reviewed 11 March 2008

We pulled into their parking lot late in the evening. It was dark and all we could see was their well-lit and very welcoming sign out front. And, a welcome sight it was. We were warmly greeted by a cheerful Mary Jo at the front desk and efficiently checked-in. She also recommended the Mendocino Hotel at the bottom of the hill for a evening drink and a bite to eat. It was a perfect recommendation. By the time we returned, we were ready to call it a day and comfortably turned in. The rooms are well appointed with comfortable beds, adequate lighting and in-room coffee maker in a cozy decor. The rooms are easily accessible and only a short walk from both the parking area as well as the main building, where a lounge and breakfast room are located. But the real gem of the area is the access to the coastline. The next morning, a brisk walk along the cliffs by the ocean was an envigorating and spectacular way to start our day - the view is magnificent...don't miss it. This darling little hideaway of a town was the backdrop for the well-known TV show, "Murder She Wrote" lending the scenery for Cabot Cove. We found the townspeople very amiable and accommodating and hated to leave. Don't miss their well-stocked general market...it has everything you'd need and a pleasure at which to shop! Our one night stay was just a tease and we vowed we'd come back.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 March 2008

After reading the other reviews of travelers that stayed at the Hill House Inn, I'm not sure we stayed at the same place. I selected the Hill House Inn after reviewing the Inn's web site and reading Tripadvisor reviews. The website describes the Inn as "A Country Inn on the Ocean ... More than a Bed and Breakfast in Historic Mendocino California" and shows two beautiful oceanfront photo vistas. Foolishly perhaps, I assumed that the Inn was there atop or close to the Ocean cliffs in the photos, and so I reserved the Deluxe Ocean View Room.
Surprise #1: The Inn is NOT on (or even near) the ocean. It is about one mile away from the ocean. You won't be walking out of the Inn to the ocean; if you do, expect a long walk. You can see the ocean from the Inn, but it isn't easy. I took photos of the view from my so-called Deluxe Ocean View Room. Trees blocked the view directly out to the ocean; Trees and clutter blocked most of the ocean view to the south; and a blue house-type structure blocked most of the ocean view to the north. A garden view room would have been much less expensive, with a good view of adjacent Highway 1.
Surprise #2: The Inn is NOT more than a Bed and Breakfast; it isn't even a B&B! When we entered the breakfast room, what we found was (a) coffee, tea and orange juice; (b) a bowl of pretty pathetic green apples and oranges; and a bowl of cellophane-wrapped bagels next to a toaster. That's it!
While other guests looked around in disbelief, we decided to go into town for a real breakfast. The next morning, I checked to see if the breakfast assortment had improved (it hadn't); and apparently the other guests came to the same judgement, because the breakfast room was empty.
Otherwise, our room was acceptable, but not exceptional one way or the other. It had a nice fireplace. The bathroom door was a hard-to-open sliding door. Internet access was available only in the lobby; not very convenient if you need to plug your laptop into an outlet. You can make free local and long distance calls from the telephone in the room; however, you cannot connect your laptop to the telephone or telephone line (if you have a telephone-based internet provider).
And finally, the carpeting outside our room (an outdoor entrance) was covered with black mold and also moss! Given the other problems with this Inn, that didn't even make it to the top of the list.
So my advice is: If you want good ocean view lodging, choose the nearby Little River Inn (I wish I knew it was so close to Mendocino before I chose the Hill House), or in Mendocino the Sea Rock Inn or Agate Cove.
But consider yourself forewarned, DON'T stay at the Hill House Inn.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
8  Thank ColumbiaTrekkers
Reviewed 4 March 2008

I had originally booked to stay at a rental house found on Craigslist, but found out they had overbooked when I arrived to Mendocino. Luckily we stumbled upon the Hill House Inn and there was a room available for the weekend. We had a pleasant experience here. Everyone was really friendly and the rooms were clean and spacious with great views. I would highly recommend this place to anyone who wants a nice get-away to Mendocino. The only trouble I had, and it was minor, was the noise level above us. Again, it was minor, but should be noted. Go ahead, give this place a chance and you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 February 2008

The location of Hill House Inn makes it very convenient to the ocean, downtown Mendocino and Fort Bragg. The room was very clean although noises from adjoining rooms (side and above) could be heard. At the time of our stay, the restaurant was closed due to it being off season so finding a family restaurant open in the evenings meant a trip to Fort Bragg.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family