“Worst night ever”
Review of Stanford Inn

Stanford Inn
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Menlo Park
Reviewed 12 May 2013

If you're looking for spacious and don't care about clean, then this place is for you. It was huge (way more than I needed). I pulled back the sheets on each bed to decide which one was the least of the evils...I picked the one that didn't have hair on the sheets. The room smelled musty...every sitting surface looked filthy, the parking lot was terrible (not sure how the Suburban next to me even got into the parking lot, let alone parked). The shower still had the soap and shampoo that had been USED by the prior guests in it. The pictures online make this place look way better than it is. I'd never stay here again and have learned my lesson on booking my room at the Stanford Guest House (much nicer) months in advance.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Suzanne K
There are newer reviews for Stanford Inn

Reviewed 14 April 2013

I booked this hotel for a two day business trip, last minute purely on the rate. I found out why the rate is cheap. The "front desk" is a pass through window outside in the courtyard. The room was shoddy and not very clean. The bed sheets were presumably clean but had stains on them and no mattress pad. The bathroom had tile and many grout joints were covered in black mold. The kitchen had an unventilated gas water heater. I'll swear I had bugs climbing on me but I never saw any.

I would pay the extra $50 and stay next door at the Best Western.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Bruce B
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The sheets are clean, they make your bed, and give you fresh towels every day. They "cleaned" the room, but I remember looking at the same big dust bunny under the nightstand table for a few days before it was finally removed. The room I stayed in is a mix between Bruce Willis' hotel room in Pulp Fiction and the hotel room with the train in My Cousin Vinny. The fridge had mold in it and smelled really badly and I didn't even bother using the microwave. Other than that, it's a very basic room for you to just sleep and shower. Also, it is very conveniently located within walking distance to the Stanford Inn Mall.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 February 2013

My kitchenette room had a dated feel but was comfortable and roomy, with two nice arm chairs and a smallish flat screen TV. Free parking, some street noise, lousy wi-fi, no deadbolt or chain on the outside door. Half hour walk from Stanford University. A good bar/restaurant, The Oasis, a block away, and a gas station/convenience store another block. Some retail outlets in the area.

Room Tip: For quiet, ask for a room on the second floor and away from the street.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 December 2012

I am usually perfectly content with Motel 6 but there is none close to this location so I thought "how bad can it be for one night?". The answer is: very very bad, possibly the worst place I have ever stayed. I arrived at 9PM and the management was nowhere to be found. They had left the key for me in an envelope.They gave me a suite-a small 2 bedroom apartment really-the last room they had. The furniture was dingy and the chairs were so stained that it was creepy to sit on them even in my jeans. It was a freezing cold night and the rooms were unheated but the heater didn't work. Luckily I always carry a fleece jacket in the car. The sheets and pillowcases were dirty. There was no blanket on the bed (just a bedspread). The light that would have made it possible to read in bed was blown out. The deadbolt strike had been broken out (by a previous kick?) so the only door lock was a flimsy chain attached to the wooden door and jamb with lightweight screws. I crammed a chair under the doorknob (I've never actually done that before.) There were 2 outlets tantalizingly near the bed but one was broken and the other was not near enough to plug in a heating pad or a light or a clock or anything like that. The kitchen was so filthy it's hard to imagine that anyone had cleaned it in months and the fridge had old food in it from a previous occupant (!). The bathroom was grubby and there was trash in the wastebasket possibly from the same previous occupant. I slept in my fleece jacket and put on my jeans and bolted the next morning. Anyway it was way too cold for a shower.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 September 2012 via mobile

A flea bag is not a value just because it is 50% cheaper than the other motels. I would even call it scary! The paint was coming off! The grounds were all parking asphalt! I could not bring myself to stay there!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Booked on Expedia so did not know what a terrible place this was on a busy street. I had prepaid but elected to lose my 1st night payment since this place was awful. The amenities were circa 1950, door lock could be easily picked with a credit card. Proprietor was unhelpful.

I would give this a minus rating if there was one.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
#9 of 27 in Palo Alto
Hotel Lucent
Hotel Lucent
#2 of 10 in Menlo Park

Been to Stanford Inn? Share your experiences!