“Truly grim”

Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Menlo Park
York, United Kingdom
“Truly grim”
Reviewed 23 May 2013

The staff on the front desk - or window - were welcoming enought but this is by far the worst place I have ever stayed. The carpets are stained, the bed linen doesn't look clean, the road out the front is noisy. I can't find anything nice to say about this place - and it isn't cheap. I'm looking forward to moving somewhere else for the rest of my stay.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Menlo Park
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I was very happy with my stay at this hotel. The room was nice, the service was good and the location was just what I needed. I would be glad to stay here again when i have need to be in Palo Alto / Stanford area.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Missoula, Montana
Reviewed 12 May 2013

If you're looking for spacious and don't care about clean, then this place is for you. It was huge (way more than I needed). I pulled back the sheets on each bed to decide which one was the least of the evils...I picked the one that didn't have hair on the sheets. The room smelled musty...every sitting surface looked filthy, the parking lot was terrible (not sure how the Suburban next to me even got into the parking lot, let alone parked). The shower still had the soap and shampoo that had been USED by the prior guests in it. The pictures online make this place look way better than it is. I'd never stay here again and have learned my lesson on booking my room at the Stanford Guest House (much nicer) months in advance.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Suzanne K

Travellers are raving about these Menlo Park hotels

Winters, California, United States
Reviewed 14 April 2013

I booked this hotel for a two day business trip, last minute purely on the rate. I found out why the rate is cheap. The "front desk" is a pass through window outside in the courtyard. The room was shoddy and not very clean. The bed sheets were presumably clean but had stains on them and no mattress pad. The bathroom had tile and many grout joints were covered in black mold. The kitchen had an unventilated gas water heater. I'll swear I had bugs climbing on me but I never saw any.

I would pay the extra $50 and stay next door at the Best Western.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Bruce B
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The sheets are clean, they make your bed, and give you fresh towels every day. They "cleaned" the room, but I remember looking at the same big dust bunny under the nightstand table for a few days before it was finally removed. The room I stayed in is a mix between Bruce Willis' hotel room in Pulp Fiction and the hotel room with the train in My Cousin Vinny. The fridge had mold in it and smelled really badly and I didn't even bother using the microwave. Other than that, it's a very basic room for you to just sleep and shower. Also, it is very conveniently located within walking distance to the Stanford Inn Mall.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Chicago IL
Reviewed 16 February 2013

My kitchenette room had a dated feel but was comfortable and roomy, with two nice arm chairs and a smallish flat screen TV. Free parking, some street noise, lousy wi-fi, no deadbolt or chain on the outside door. Half hour walk from Stanford University. A good bar/restaurant, The Oasis, a block away, and a gas station/convenience store another block. Some retail outlets in the area.

Room Tip: For quiet, ask for a room on the second floor and away from the street.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Paso Robles, CA
Reviewed 16 December 2012

I am usually perfectly content with Motel 6 but there is none close to this location so I thought "how bad can it be for one night?". The answer is: very very bad, possibly the worst place I have ever stayed. I arrived at 9PM and the management was nowhere to be found. They had left the key for me in an envelope.They gave me a suite-a small 2 bedroom apartment really-the last room they had. The furniture was dingy and the chairs were so stained that it was creepy to sit on them even in my jeans. It was a freezing cold night and the rooms were unheated but the heater didn't work. Luckily I always carry a fleece jacket in the car. The sheets and pillowcases were dirty. There was no blanket on the bed (just a bedspread). The light that would have made it possible to read in bed was blown out. The deadbolt strike had been broken out (by a previous kick?) so the only door lock was a flimsy chain attached to the wooden door and jamb with lightweight screws. I crammed a chair under the doorknob (I've never actually done that before.) There were 2 outlets tantalizingly near the bed but one was broken and the other was not near enough to plug in a heating pad or a light or a clock or anything like that. The kitchen was so filthy it's hard to imagine that anyone had cleaned it in months and the fridge had old food in it from a previous occupant (!). The bathroom was grubby and there was trash in the wastebasket possibly from the same previous occupant. I slept in my fleece jacket and put on my jeans and bolted the next morning. Anyway it was way too cold for a shower.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
#4 of 27 in Palo Alto
Menlo Park Inn
Menlo Park Inn
#4 of 10 in Menlo Park

Been to Stanford Inn? Share your experiences!