“Great Food, excellent location for Stanford visit”
Review of Rosewood Sand Hill

Rosewood Sand Hill
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Menlo Park
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I could stay and eat at the hotel all day. We were fortunate to eat lunch, dinner, tea, and breakfast at the hotel, and each meal was special. The food choices are varied and the preparation is terrific. A bit pricey, though. The rooms are very nice inside with great beds and we had a nice courtyard view. You are about 5 minutes from Stanford.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Rosewood Sand Hill

Reviewed 13 June 2011

The Rosewood Sand Hill is close to where we live and is such a beautiful property. It was a perfect night away, great dinner, beautiful rooms and an amazing spa & pool.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2011

I stayed at the Rosewood Sand Hill on business in May 2011. I was at the hotel for three nights. The experience was mostly top-notch, with just a couple of little things that could be improved. Overall, it's a lovely hotel that provides a first-rate customer experience.

When I arrived at the hotel, my bags were loaded onto a cart by a very nice young man and whisked off to my room while I checked in. Check-in took only moments, and a hotel staff member then personally escorted me to my room. While this seems like above and beyond service (which it is), at the Rosewood it's also quite necessary given how spread out the property is. I might have been wandering all over around trying to find my room without an escort. The room was huge and beautiful, with big windows looking out to a nicely landscaped garden. The bathroom was a thing of beauty, with a huge soaker tub and separate shower with rain showerhead. I wish I could have spent more time in my room and less in the the business center and conference rooms-- it was peaceful, lovely and luxurious.

Turn-down service at night is fantastic. I returned to my room late after a long day of work and found that the lights were dimmed, jazz music was playing, my bed had been turned down, a chocolate placed by the bedside and there was a gift of jam and cookies waiting (per the event I was attending there). I suddenly wished I was there with my husband for a romantic getaway and not on business!

I ate many meals at the hotel during my stay, in the restaurant, the bar, and catered meals in the ballroom. The food here is wonderful. It is not inexpensive by any stretch of the imagination, but it is delicious, fresh, seasonal and creative. I also really enjoyed the public spaces at the Rosewood. The light-filled library looking over the pool, the restaurant with its warm and elegant feeling, the pretty gardens scattered around the property... all beautiful.

I had the opportunity to speak with many hotel employees during my time there, and they were unfailingly polite and helpful. From the front desk staff to the concierge to the bellhops and catering staff, there are some wonderful people working at the Rosewood. If there's something you need, they find a way to make it happen.

The only negatives for me: The property is large and spread out, and while this is nice in some ways, it's less good if you're hauling meeting materials around in the rain. There aren't many covered corridors, so I definitely got wet. On my final day at the hotel I got stuck in a meeting in one of the conference rooms and called the front desk to ask if I could extend my checkout time by two hours. They said that was fine. I returned to my room to collect my things well within that time frame and found that the hotel had gathered up my belongings and taken them away. That really bothered me, and I felt it was unnecessary. I had to go up to their storage closet, go through my bags, make sure everything was accounted for, etc. This service issue prevents me from giving this property a full 5 stars.

Overall, a very good experience. I'd recommend the Rosewood!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Erin74
Reviewed 11 April 2011

Rosewood Sand Hill makes the most of its naturally beautiful setting while shielding its guests from the neighboring freeway pretty effectively. Beyond its beauty, the high points are great food both in the restaurant and from room service, a spacious layout, and the most fun hotel bar on the San Francisco Peninsula. Madera Restaurant hit just the right note of being casual and elegant and readily accommodated our minor requests to split dishes. We'll return to the restaurant.
But, the hotel has some kinks to work out before it deserves the five-star status. Each of these infelicities is far from a deal killer, but together they indicate a hotel that is not yet operating the way it should. So what went wrong?
1. We were asked at check-in which papers we wanted. Although they don't stock the Sunday NYT normally, we were told we'd receive it. We did not, and when we called to inquire, we were told they'd recorded the request but did not have the paper. Did I want a staff member to drive off property to get it, I was asked? No, I answered, taken aback, that's excessive. Note to hotel trainers: If you want to provide something already promised to a guest, just do it, don't ask again if the guest really, really wants it.
2. As we were heading to dinner, a housekeeper asked us when we wanted turn down service. We gave her a two-hour+ span of time. Turn down was never done.
3. The room was hot, hot, hot at night, despite the 50 degree outdoor temperature. We couldn't get the thermostat to cool below 67. The "in room technology" section of the guest binder was completely empty, so no help there. We called the front desk at 1:30 a.m.and they said they'd send an engineer asap to fix the thermostat. A security guy showed up and said the front desk was wrong, all the engineers had gone at midnight. He tried valiantly to fix the temperature control, but no luck.

Again, these aren't big problems, but they are ones that shouldn't show up in the well-oiled machine that is a true five-star hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mtnview9
Reviewed 14 December 2010

A friend was having their wedding at the Rosewood Sand Hill and had reserved a block of rooms for out of town guests at a special rate, which we took advantage of. I did not personally book the room, but there was a little confusion about the discounted rate when my friend booked the room.

Our weekend began by taking CalTrain from San Francisco to Palo Alto stop, about a one hour trip and took a short taxi ride to the hotel. We arrived at the hotel approximately two hours before check-in, but our room was not yet available. As the wedding was later in the afternoon, it was a slight inconvenience that we were not able to have the additional time to get ready. The front desk was able to store our luggage until the room was available and we proceeded to the pool area. Unfortunately the pool can only be accessed by a room key, which was not provided during our check-in as our room was not yet available. We proceeded to the spa area to change into swimming attire. The locker room was very spacious and clean. After changing, we proceeded to the pool. The pool was very relaxing and we also ordered some drinks and snacks that were delicious. The pool has some cabanas which can be reserved for more privacy.

When the room was finally available the bellhop had already moved the luggage to the room. The room had a walk in closet with ample room for everyone's suitcase. The bathroom was also very spacious with both a walk in shower and jacuzzi tub.

The hotel also offers a complementary car service in the area. We took advantage of this service and went to the Stanford campus, a short drive away. The front desk was able to offer advice of places of visit on campus.

If you are looking for a relaxing weekend in the Silicon Valley area, I would highly recommend the Rosewood Sand Hill.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank JJJ830
Reviewed 8 December 2010

Truly a 5-star hotel. I have never ever experienced that level of service. The rooms are large well appointed and immaculate. We stayed in a suite. Lighting is even controlled automatically through the television for movie watching etc. The spa was great. You don't have to use valet and can park in front of your room which is a plus. You can call to have a golf cart pick you up to take you to the main building or to the spa (or if it rains). Every single employee was top notch. This was my experience as an ethnic minority guest.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank kboodram
Reviewed 27 November 2010

We stayed here for five nights over the Thanksgiving Holiday while visiting family. To say that Rosewood created something special on this piece of land adjacent to I-280 is an understatement.

The place is incredibly beautiful, yet from the road, it would appear to be nothing more than offices or apartment buildings. Once entering the property, one is blown away by the thoughtful design and stunning beauty.

We stayed in a Premier Queen which had more than enough room. The walk in closet is huge and the bathroom is like nothing I've ever seen. Our room overlooked the enormous pool which remained open even though the air temperature was barely 50 degrees.

The spa is world class. Top of the line fitness equipment, spotlessly clean, beautifully designed with every amenity imaginable. We worked out there every morning and took advantage of the steam room, dry sauna, jacuzzi, and relaxation areas. Totally transforming experience.

What really makes this place stand out is the service. The staff couldn't do enough for us yet they were never intrusive. They responded to every request with a smile.

For what the nightly room rate is here, one would expect a very high level of service. Rosewood delivered on that yet was able to achieve it with employees who were genuinely happy have us there as their guests.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
Creekside Inn - A Greystone Hotel
Dinah's Garden Hotel
Dinah's Garden Hotel
#2 of 27 in Palo Alto

Been to Rosewood Sand Hill? Share your experiences!