Rosewood Sand Hill
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Menlo Park Inn(Menlo Park)
Hotel Lucent(Menlo Park)
Stanford Inn(Menlo Park)
  • Breakfast included
Stanford Park Hotel(Menlo Park)
View Hotel
Red Cottage Inn(Menlo Park)
  • Pool
All reviewssilicon valleypalo altostanford universitywalk in closetroom servicefour seasonsthe santa cruz mountainsswim lapsamazing spamain buildingbeautiful propertypool areabath saltsrooms are spaciousbusiness and pleasurepublic spaceshotel guests
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 July 2011

Equally good for business and pleasure. Stayed here when on a business trip, and didn't regret it. Room was great, pool area perfect, nice bar and great staff. No complaints or suggestions for improvement! Without a doubt one of the best hotels I have stayed at.

Room Tip: ask for the rooms next to the pool
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I could stay and eat at the hotel all day. We were fortunate to eat lunch, dinner, tea, and breakfast at the hotel, and each meal was special. The food choices are varied and the preparation is terrific. A bit pricey, though. The rooms are very nice inside with great beds and we had a nice courtyard view. You are about 5 minutes from Stanford.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 June 2011

The Rosewood Sand Hill is close to where we live and is such a beautiful property. It was a perfect night away, great dinner, beautiful rooms and an amazing spa & pool.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2011

I stayed at the Rosewood Sand Hill on business in May 2011. I was at the hotel for three nights. The experience was mostly top-notch, with just a couple of little things that could be improved. Overall, it's a lovely hotel that provides a first-rate customer experience.

When I arrived at the hotel, my bags were loaded onto a cart by a very nice young man and whisked off to my room while I checked in. Check-in took only moments, and a hotel staff member then personally escorted me to my room. While this seems like above and beyond service (which it is), at the Rosewood it's also quite necessary given how spread out the property is. I might have been wandering all over around trying to find my room without an escort. The room was huge and beautiful, with big windows looking out to a nicely landscaped garden. The bathroom was a thing of beauty, with a huge soaker tub and separate shower with rain showerhead. I wish I could have spent more time in my room and less in the the business center and conference rooms-- it was peaceful, lovely and luxurious.

Turn-down service at night is fantastic. I returned to my room late after a long day of work and found that the lights were dimmed, jazz music was playing, my bed had been turned down, a chocolate placed by the bedside and there was a gift of jam and cookies waiting (per the event I was attending there). I suddenly wished I was there with my husband for a romantic getaway and not on business!

I ate many meals at the hotel during my stay, in the restaurant, the bar, and catered meals in the ballroom. The food here is wonderful. It is not inexpensive by any stretch of the imagination, but it is delicious, fresh, seasonal and creative. I also really enjoyed the public spaces at the Rosewood. The light-filled library looking over the pool, the restaurant with its warm and elegant feeling, the pretty gardens scattered around the property... all beautiful.

I had the opportunity to speak with many hotel employees during my time there, and they were unfailingly polite and helpful. From the front desk staff to the concierge to the bellhops and catering staff, there are some wonderful people working at the Rosewood. If there's something you need, they find a way to make it happen.

The only negatives for me: The property is large and spread out, and while this is nice in some ways, it's less good if you're hauling meeting materials around in the rain. There aren't many covered corridors, so I definitely got wet. On my final day at the hotel I got stuck in a meeting in one of the conference rooms and called the front desk to ask if I could extend my checkout time by two hours. They said that was fine. I returned to my room to collect my things well within that time frame and found that the hotel had gathered up my belongings and taken them away. That really bothered me, and I felt it was unnecessary. I had to go up to their storage closet, go through my bags, make sure everything was accounted for, etc. This service issue prevents me from giving this property a full 5 stars.

Overall, a very good experience. I'd recommend the Rosewood!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Erin74
Reviewed 11 April 2011

Rosewood Sand Hill makes the most of its naturally beautiful setting while shielding its guests from the neighboring freeway pretty effectively. Beyond its beauty, the high points are great food both in the restaurant and from room service, a spacious layout, and the most fun hotel bar on the San Francisco Peninsula. Madera Restaurant hit just the right note of being casual and elegant and readily accommodated our minor requests to split dishes. We'll return to the restaurant.
But, the hotel has some kinks to work out before it deserves the five-star status. Each of these infelicities is far from a deal killer, but together they indicate a hotel that is not yet operating the way it should. So what went wrong?
1. We were asked at check-in which papers we wanted. Although they don't stock the Sunday NYT normally, we were told we'd receive it. We did not, and when we called to inquire, we were told they'd recorded the request but did not have the paper. Did I want a staff member to drive off property to get it, I was asked? No, I answered, taken aback, that's excessive. Note to hotel trainers: If you want to provide something already promised to a guest, just do it, don't ask again if the guest really, really wants it.
2. As we were heading to dinner, a housekeeper asked us when we wanted turn down service. We gave her a two-hour+ span of time. Turn down was never done.
3. The room was hot, hot, hot at night, despite the 50 degree outdoor temperature. We couldn't get the thermostat to cool below 67. The "in room technology" section of the guest binder was completely empty, so no help there. We called the front desk at 1:30 a.m.and they said they'd send an engineer asap to fix the thermostat. A security guy showed up and said the front desk was wrong, all the engineers had gone at midnight. He tried valiantly to fix the temperature control, but no luck.

Again, these aren't big problems, but they are ones that shouldn't show up in the well-oiled machine that is a true five-star hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple