“A great weekend getaway, when you live in one of the most visited places in the world...”
Review of Rosewood Sand Hill

Rosewood Sand Hill
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Menlo Park
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I love where I live, but sometimes I truly need to get away. Enter...Rosewood Sand Hill Hotel! I was here for a wedding, and I loved everything about this place! Although one may be turned off by highway 280 next to the resort, this was never a concern nor a problem because it was tucked away in such away that the highway was never heard. Also, all I could focus on was the peaceful rolling hills and the attentiveness of the staff at the hotel. Everyone was friendly and went out of their way to meet my needs. I do tend to have diva qualities, and they certainly accommodated, ie getting a ride to my room via golf cart cuz I was too hot and lazy, needing ice at 1am, needing a lift to Stanford mall, pressing my sad looking, crinkled top, refilling my Nespresso coffee needs over and over again.

PLUS, the food is FAB!!! The restaurant Madera received a Michelin Star, and its because the food is wonderful and the waitstaff are swiftly attentive. You must, MUST try the English pea soup...who knew pea soup could taste so damn good?! Hmm, I don't know if this is on the regular menu, but we had it at the reception...and OMG...so good! Their sliders are off the hook too! Too juicy good and all the comfort in the world in one bite.

ALSO, their pool is gggreeaat! Perfectly warm, several towels on hand, and again, the staff soooo attentive. AND their spa and salon...very chillax. I got my hair and makeup done and I must say..I looked cute. My makeup has the tendency to melt off right after its been applied...and it lasted 10 hours! Even my friend (who was the bride) who had hired her own separate makeup artist, was AMAZED by the fact that I didn't need a touch up the entire night.

So this is the low down with RSH: I was fed well. I slept well. And most of all, I was treated well. Will sooooo go back on my anniversary in October! Can't wait!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 27 July 2011

We spent four nights at the Rosewood Sandhill. Excellent staff and beautiful rooms. A very decent and well-appointed fitness center. The spa, based on my spouse's experience, is limited in programming. The restaurant and bar have beautiful views of the mountains. But, even by upscale resort standards, the prices are high for what you get. It would be easy to go into Palo Alto to find good and cheaper food. However, it is not always easy to get into town from the Rosewood property due to unpredictable supplies of taxis. Rent a car if you are staying there.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 July 2011

This review is for Madera (restaurant and bar) and Sense Spa. I live in the area and have not stayed at the hotel but visit the restaurant and bar frequently. Overall I love this place as it is my oasis and stay-cation for everyday life indulgence.

My friends and I have been meeting for happy hour at the bar for quite some time now. Thursdays have become somewhat of a "meat" market with some incredibly amusing characters and many more business travelers. But it makes from some great people watching. It is typically an older, professional crowd with a sprinkling of late-20's and mid-30's. On nice evenings it can get packed and you will have to fight your way to the bar. Wednesdays is more of a local night and much more mellow. What I love best is lounging on the outdoor patio and feeling like I am on vacation. Yes, 280 is visible and runs next to the hotel but you really don't notice it amongst the rolling hills.

The spa is also divine. Amazing service and great amenities. There are separate men/women lounging areas in addition to a co-ed lounge with a two-person chaise lounge shielded by a room separator. After getting massages my husband and I lounged on these chaises in our robes reading trashy magazines. Connie (I think) was amazing and gave us glasses of champagne for my birthday while I munched on fresh fruit and trail mix. There are steam rooms, saunas, and an outdoor whirlpool in the dressing rooms as well as fully stocked showers and vanities. They have a "lifestyle" membership that gives you gym and spa access.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 July 2011

Equally good for business and pleasure. Stayed here when on a business trip, and didn't regret it. Room was great, pool area perfect, nice bar and great staff. No complaints or suggestions for improvement! Without a doubt one of the best hotels I have stayed at.

Room Tip: ask for the rooms next to the pool
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I could stay and eat at the hotel all day. We were fortunate to eat lunch, dinner, tea, and breakfast at the hotel, and each meal was special. The food choices are varied and the preparation is terrific. A bit pricey, though. The rooms are very nice inside with great beds and we had a nice courtyard view. You are about 5 minutes from Stanford.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 June 2011

The Rosewood Sand Hill is close to where we live and is such a beautiful property. It was a perfect night away, great dinner, beautiful rooms and an amazing spa & pool.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2011

I stayed at the Rosewood Sand Hill on business in May 2011. I was at the hotel for three nights. The experience was mostly top-notch, with just a couple of little things that could be improved. Overall, it's a lovely hotel that provides a first-rate customer experience.

When I arrived at the hotel, my bags were loaded onto a cart by a very nice young man and whisked off to my room while I checked in. Check-in took only moments, and a hotel staff member then personally escorted me to my room. While this seems like above and beyond service (which it is), at the Rosewood it's also quite necessary given how spread out the property is. I might have been wandering all over around trying to find my room without an escort. The room was huge and beautiful, with big windows looking out to a nicely landscaped garden. The bathroom was a thing of beauty, with a huge soaker tub and separate shower with rain showerhead. I wish I could have spent more time in my room and less in the the business center and conference rooms-- it was peaceful, lovely and luxurious.

Turn-down service at night is fantastic. I returned to my room late after a long day of work and found that the lights were dimmed, jazz music was playing, my bed had been turned down, a chocolate placed by the bedside and there was a gift of jam and cookies waiting (per the event I was attending there). I suddenly wished I was there with my husband for a romantic getaway and not on business!

I ate many meals at the hotel during my stay, in the restaurant, the bar, and catered meals in the ballroom. The food here is wonderful. It is not inexpensive by any stretch of the imagination, but it is delicious, fresh, seasonal and creative. I also really enjoyed the public spaces at the Rosewood. The light-filled library looking over the pool, the restaurant with its warm and elegant feeling, the pretty gardens scattered around the property... all beautiful.

I had the opportunity to speak with many hotel employees during my time there, and they were unfailingly polite and helpful. From the front desk staff to the concierge to the bellhops and catering staff, there are some wonderful people working at the Rosewood. If there's something you need, they find a way to make it happen.

The only negatives for me: The property is large and spread out, and while this is nice in some ways, it's less good if you're hauling meeting materials around in the rain. There aren't many covered corridors, so I definitely got wet. On my final day at the hotel I got stuck in a meeting in one of the conference rooms and called the front desk to ask if I could extend my checkout time by two hours. They said that was fine. I returned to my room to collect my things well within that time frame and found that the hotel had gathered up my belongings and taken them away. That really bothered me, and I felt it was unnecessary. I had to go up to their storage closet, go through my bags, make sure everything was accounted for, etc. This service issue prevents me from giving this property a full 5 stars.

Overall, a very good experience. I'd recommend the Rosewood!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
#6 of 27 in Palo Alto
Dinah's Garden Hotel
Dinah's Garden Hotel
#2 of 27 in Palo Alto

Been to Rosewood Sand Hill? Share your experiences!