“Nice but expensive”
Review of Rosewood Sand Hill

Rosewood Sand Hill
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Menlo Park
Reviewed 5 September 2013

The BF and I stayed here for a wedding. Since we booked the room through the wedding party, the cost of the room was half of the price given online. Given that, this place is still pretty pricey at half off. Not sure if we would ever come "just because."

We got a standard room on the ground level. The patio opens to greens that anyone can walk by, so we basically had the curtains closed the entire time.

This is is definitely sprawled out. We were in cottage 16, which was one away from the pool. Definitely accept their offer to bring your bags to the room if you have more than a hand luggage. We had to go down a bunch of steps to get to the room so the BF had to lug my bag all the way there.

The room itself is very nice. I love the walk in closet, the lighting that is controlled on TV, and the shower. The rain shower head from the ceiling along with a separate hand held shower head is a great combo.The fixtures for the tub is cool, but I like deep soaking tubs, and this one was not deep at all. The bed was really comfy and I had a pretty good night sleep.

The food here is pretty amazing. I think this is the first wedding I've attended where I though the food was amazeballs! We also ordered room service the next morning. It was deathly expensive but we didn't want to get out butts out of bed. The person brings everything to your room in a basket, and sets up the table for you. It was a bit weird since they're in your room for a bit and I was still in my jammies under the cover. So if you get room service, throw on a robe before they come in! A service charge is already added to the bill so you don't have to tip the guy. The BF was going to hand him a tip and he told us about the service charge. He could've totally said nothing and got some extra cash, but I appreciate that he was honest.

When we were here, the pool was packed during the day with kids. I mean, it sounded like I was at raging waters. I took a dip in the pool at 7am, well before anyone else. The deepest part is 5ft 3in? 5ft 4? I could swim freestyle about a third of the way lengthwise before my arms start hitting the bottom.

As for the wedding, the ceremony took place outside at 4pm. The sun was raging in us and we all thought we were going to melt. I was surprised that there was no shade provided, and after the ceremony, one of the bridesmaid told me that they asked the hotel if there were parasols or something. But apparently you have to ask in advance. So if you're thinking about getting married in the sun, think about your guests and have shade handy, even if its an umbrella.

So all in all, this place is nice, but at this price point, I feel like I can go to a more private hotel where I can really get some R&R. The staff here is definitely exceptional. Everyone was really nice and friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room. And if you're in the room during the day, you might not want to face t...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Rosewood Sand Hill

Reviewed 1 September 2013

Really nice hotel. Expensive but certainly a nice splurge. It's close to Stanford and Palo Alto, right off the highway, and yet when you get on property you feel like you are away from it all. Rooms are fantastic as you would expect from Rosewood, pool area is great, food amazing - nothing bad to say.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Next to Palo Alto's Garden Court Hotel,
the Rosewood Sand Hill is the most
overpriced hotel / motel
along the San Francisco Peninsula.

My best memories are when this property first opened. We stayed here on the second night that the hotel was open to the public. It was also staffed with service personnel from the corporate office.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank WestCoastUSADad
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I have been there only for having a sunday brunch with some friends.
The place is woderful.one of the best resort I ve ever seen.
The staff is super kind and welcoming. I had an hamburger and it was amazing.My friends had pancakes and benedict salmon with little potatoes cakes.
Everything was amazing.

I suggestyou to go there but book before.
expensive!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 August 2013

This is the second time we have stayed here and the Rosewood is absolutely second to none in terms of service, location, and friendliness of staff. It's a great place to be based in Palo Alto, and the resort like features mean it's also a good place to relax. The pool and spa and gym are first class. It's rare to feel so comfortable on a business trip.

Room Tip: To avoid any noise from the pool, choose cottage 25 which overlooks the tranquil Japanese gardens, a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Over the years, I have had the pleasure of staying at this hotel. My experience has been always pleasurable. The staff is fantastic, especially Lyle, who is always there to greet me with a smile. Some of the times that I was staying at the Rosewood was because of a family member receiving treatment at Stanford. Knowing this, the staff was kind and caring in many ways. They refer to me as family and treat me like a king. The rooms are always clean and ready, the food is wonderful, and the drinks are great. The spa is beautiful and the salon is fantastic.This is more of a business hotel during the week and families on the weekend. It is obvious that the staff is thoroughly trained and I believe this is because the general manager is on top of every detail. The only negative I have about this place is that it is often very crowded in the bar, the customers are not very friendly and there are a lot of women who look to be on the prowl making it uncomfortable. Other than that, I look forward to every visit.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the pool are my favorite but often are booked. Mini suites are lovely.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 July 2013

If you have to spend a few days in Silicon Valley for any reason you must stay at The Rosewood in Menlo Park. Great location, only minutes from the interstate 280; 30 minutes to SFO or to the San Jose airport. Stanford shopping center is only a couple miles away.
The rooms are well appointed and comfortable. Great pool area and beautiful setting . There is a great spa on property too.
Madeira is fabulous with great interesting food. The bar scene is lively and very interesting. If the bar is too hectic relax in the beautiful, modern and bright lounge.
The wait staff is the best! Valet is very friendly and helpful.
Hotel desk staff is good, a little aloof at first, but they warmed up nicely after we began to chat.
There isn't a bad room in the hotel.!!
Worth the money!
PS:
If the food is too different for you, there are great restaurants within a mile of the hotel. Ask the valet they will direct you.

• Stayed: July 2013
Creekside Inn - A Greystone Hotel
Dinah's Garden Hotel
Dinah's Garden Hotel
#2 of 27 in Palo Alto

Been to Rosewood Sand Hill? Share your experiences!