“Fantastic stay overall”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Menlo Park
New York City, New York
“Fantastic stay overall”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed here in April 2014 for a weekend. It is our third Rosewood experience and like all of them, once you're inside, it's gorgeous. Although the hotel seems to be in an office complex, the property on the inside is very calm and quiet - almost like a very upscale lodge. There aren't any sprawling grounds, but we were just in for a weekend and had some business to attend to, so the setting was perfect for our needs. The bar is a favorite of ours in the area with excellent cocktails and food options, and a lovely patio on with to sit and watch the mountains. The rooms are also stunning per usual, with large bathrooms equipped with deep soaking tubs and rain showers. The room we were in had a fireplace as well, which was great for April. The service was friendly and helpful, and even when there was an error on our bill (which has happened before to us at Rosewoods), the staff was more than ready to rectify it immediately. I will be back to visit the Sense Spa, which I hear is also excellent. Overall, this is a great option in Silicon Valley if you want something peaceful and are up to spending the money. Just check your bill!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Hebrew first
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stay here about 3 times a year and they never cease to deliver great service and attention. The rooms are comfortable, spacious, and very clean; the staff is extremely friendly and helpful; and the pool is a great afternoon treat. The spa is also fabulous with great service and wonderfully relaxing treatments. Their restaurant does a great job preparing gluten free dishes that are safe for Celiacs. This hotel is a safe bet to be a great stay in the Palo Alto area, and is a great location if you have events on the Stanford Campus.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
seattle
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I really was expecting to love this hotel. We chose it over another high end hotel because we thought it would be more relaxing, and very luxurious. Unhappily, for us at least, that was not the case. There were some good points. The hotel is physically very lovely, and although extremely close to 280, the rooms are surprisingly quiet. But the negatives left us feeling that it wasn't a place to which we would return. You know how it is, when a property is truly luxurious and well run, there is a feeling that permeates the entire atmosphere and experience, and you feel happy the entire time you are there, even if there are a few blips. And when a property isn't carefully managed, there is quite another feeling, one of growing frustration and disappointment, where every trivial little thing points out the lack of attention and gains in importance.

All of the things I'm going to recount are very minor, and any on their own would not have been a problem. But they added on and on until it did matter, and it became clear there is not well communicated and consistent management oversight at the hotel. Examples: They had us fill out a questionnaire prior to arrival. They asked what sort of pillows we would like, but then neglected to provide the choice we indicated. They asked if we wanted extra hangers, I said yes please. We had a total of about 12 hangers. Hard to imagine that included extras. We travel light, but I still had to double up on the hangers as there were so few. There were two of us, yet only one robe and one set of slippers were provided. And that one robe was so well worn it had holes in it. There was a cleanliness issue with the toilet on arrival. To be fair, it was hard to see the offensive residue with the reflection in the space, but if the toilet had been thoroughly sanitized, it wouldn't have been missed. And a less than spotless toilet is just too much of a graphic reminder of the last guest for my comfort. The hand held shower fixture in the shower needed servicing, with a leak at the fitting so that water shot out at an angle. Cold sausage was served to me at breakfast, when only 4 tables were occupied. And oh, the mini bar. This is a pet peeve of mine, and something you usually do not see in comparable properties, but in mid-range places. At turn down, they opened up the mini-bar, turned the light on, and pulled out the drawer. I'm sorry, that's just tacky. As to the pool, multiple attendants were always there, very friendly, but on the first and third days made no effort to set up chairs for us. That's fine, we can do it ourselves and did, but it's surprising in a luxury class property. They never refilled our water glasses, and only asked if we needed anything a couple of times over our stay, losing interest when we weren't buying drinks. The toilet at the pool area was completely empty of toilet paper on the first day, even with multiple attendants and someone who looked like a manager. There is no shower at the pool to rinse off the chlorine from the pool. When I asked where the shower was, I was directed to go the the spa if I wanted to shower. As to using the pool area, If you are traveling with young children this could be the place for you. If you are a couple looking for a romantic or quiet stay, you might want to look elsewhere. The pool was not the relaxing retreat we were hoping for, nor could I swim laps for exercise, as it was filled with 10-20 happily screaming young kids each day (including some babies in regular diapers with just bathing suits over, not waterproof swim diapers). I have no issue with children, I love kids and am a mother myself. But for a romantic weekend away, it wasn't what I was hoping for. There is nothing wrong with the fact that the property caters to families. I just wish I had know. But it astounds me that a property of this level, with so much acreage, does not have an adults only pool. Also, not only do they allow people to place items on the lounge chairs early in the morning to reserve them, for several hours, but according to people sitting next to us at the pool, they also sell spa membership which includes use of the pool. As a result, every single day they ran out of lounge chairs, usually before noon. We were at the pool at 9:30, and every single lounger in the first row on each side of the pool was reserved, but there were only about 5 people at the pool, and by 11:30 many of those loungers were still "reserved" and empty. Even ignoring the issues at the pool, there just isn't enough oversight and thought put into the management of the property for us to return. Bottom line, if they truly want to be a 5 star resort, they have a lot of work to do.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Katydid
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 July 2014

There is nothing bad about the Rosewood in Palo Alto. The only mild criticism is that the location is on the far side of Palo Alto, you can't go for an easy run outside, and I think it is a bit over priced relative to what you get at $500 a night. I'd rather be closer to Stanford's main campus and downtown.

With all that said, I arrived late and the person behind the desk was very friendly and accommodating. They even valet parked my car for free for the night because the hotel itself is very expansive. He then showed me to my room which was a little bit of a hike away, but it was still acceptable. The next day I found ample parking close by in the lot in the back. I took a few meetings in the hotel bar/restaurant which are also good but expensive.

The rooms are nicely appointed and larger than average, but again nothing spectacularly different than the Westin in Palo Alto. The gym was good, but again not great. It had plenty of equipment, but the display on my treadmill cut in and out.

At most hotels I'd give this an excellent but because of the price I give it 4/5. I've stayed at Rosewoods in other locations and I felt that they were far superior this Rosewood. My advice is to stay at the new Joie De Vivre or the Westin in Palo Alto if you don't need to be right on Sand Hill Road. I am in the venture community so I thought the Rosewood would have been a better experience than what I had at $500/night. Oh well, it was still very nice.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Menlo Park, California
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My husband and I had a massage at the Sense spa, part of the Rosewood Hotel, Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park, CA. Both our massages were excellent and we will return again. At the time we booked our massage, the reservations clerk made errors in time and type of massages we wanted. Although this was rectified when the spa called to confirm our reservation the day prior, it did mean that we had to have the massages earlier than we had intended.

The spa is bright and modern. There is a steam and sauna, both large. There are healthy snacks such as almonds, water, tea and juices available in several different areas of the spa. There is a ladies lounge area and also one for the guys, and a joint one that leads to a secluded outside deck/patio.

The spa overall is very clean, however I did find hair on the shower stall wall from a previous occupant.

Generous assortment of hair products, hair dryers, lotions etc available to use if needed.

Room Tip: We did not stay in the hotel. We live locally and spent the afternoon at the Sense spa. Make certa...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank C M
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Stayed at the Rosewood as part of a business trip to visit VC firms in the Valley. Outstanding location and property. Service is top notch, property is extremely well kept, and the rooms are outstanding. Very spacious with the best in amenities. View from my room deck of the grounds was serene. The property is large so it can be a bit of a walk to get from the far ends of the grounds to the lobby/bar area. Staff is top notch. Excellent place to host a business gathering or just get away for the weekend. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
San Francisco
Reviewed 23 May 2014

One of the best hotels I've ever stayed in - from the California King size beds, to the extra large bathrooms with showers that can hold more than a few people, to my own private patio facing an orchard of olive trees, and an amazing property that you want to explore. The restaurant and bar are highly rated, but the real experience was the room, the staff, and how you can feel completely alone in the middle of Silicon Valley.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
#2 of 27 in Palo Alto
Hotel Lucent
Hotel Lucent
#2 of 9 in Menlo Park

Been to Rosewood Sand Hill? Share your experiences!