“Good food and wine”
Review of Madera

Madera
Reserve with OpenTable
Madera is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 128 Restaurants in Menlo Park
Price range: US$30 - US$50
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: HWY 280
Description: Madera Restaurant Honored with One Star by Michelin and Wine Spectator's Best of Award of Excellence 2012. A comfortably elegant ambiance, picturesque views and outdoor terraces welcome guests and Silicon Valley locals to Madera. Featuring an open artisan wood-burning kitchen and extensive wine list, Madera serves rustic American cuisine that celebrates the culinary traditions of the Bay Area In addition to indoor and outdoor dining, Madera offers two private dining rooms with private terraces and cozy fireplaces. The Lemon Room seats up to 10 guests, and the Orange Room up to 14 guests. This Menlo Park restaurant is open daily for breakfast, lunch and dinner and for Sunday brunch as well.
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Place to be entertained or to entertain clients. Food is good and scenery is great. Service was a little slow. View and location is fantastic.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

4 of us ate here on a recent business trip. It is a stunning location and a must visit place. We were seated on the terrace and it was a great evening. The menu is quite short but varied. Three of us had prawns for starters. They were good large cold prawns - but nothing special and basically just prawns on ice with a little seaweed I think. I felt that they could have done so much better and more imaginative with such good ingredients.

The mains were 3 steaks and one duck. The duck was raved about and so tender. Two of the steaks were finished but we agreed were way over salted. I couldn't finish mine as it had so much salt on it. The accompanying things on the plate we very sparse. A deep fried rissole like thing with more meat in it and then minuscule pieces of vegetables and some shavings. It need vegetables and some potato.

Dessert was a mixed affair with a couple of cheesecakes with a way too spicy part and then the most ridiculously large portion of beignets - just crazy compared to everything else. The wine list is massive and so is the price. The mark ups verged in crazy for some wines.

2 people had a very ordinary dessert wine - a French Rieussec I think - and it was $20+ per glass which with a tip is outrageous and the pouring was tiny.

The service was efficient but for these prices the food should have been far better and overall I was disappointed. I'd give it another try for the view but maybe just drinks rather than dinner. Some reviewers on here seem to love it - but I just didn't think the food was sufficiently good to say more than average at the price point. The location carries this restaurant.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Wow, I had the veal shank with bone marrow - like golden buttery heaven! Incredible. Lost control of one of my shanks & it was swiped up off the rug within 45 seconds without skipping a beat! No worries here. Fantastic atmosphere, large open space room in the foothills of the Coastal (Warner) mountain range. Great, but $$$ wine list. Overall, given the area, on a relative basis, very pricey generally ~ $350 for two including drinks & good wine.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Dined here as part of a business meeting. Atmosphere was very nice. Service was very good and highly attentive. Food selections were good, however, prices were extremely high for lunch service. I had a chicken caesar salad which was good but nothing extraordinary. Others had a variety of salads and seafood selections. Most significant draw here for me is the atmosphere for a business discussion and the upscale nature of the accommodations. I would likely not bring my spouse here. Disappointing as the hotel is outstanding.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

We went for drinks at bar on Sunday afternoon. Service was slow. It took 25 minutes and three reminders before we received the snacks to the table. Also, after waiting 15 minutes for the bill, we had to walk to the bar and pay there. I sent them private feedback using Ownerlistens, but never heard back, although I know they got my message. I expect more from a place that charges $7 for cappuccino.