“Good food slow service”
Review of Madera

Madera
Reserve with OpenTable
Madera is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 123 Restaurants in Menlo Park
Price range: US$30 - US$50
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: HWY 280
Description: Madera Restaurant Honored with One Star by Michelin and Wine Spectator's Best of Award of Excellence 2012. A comfortably elegant ambiance, picturesque views and outdoor terraces welcome guests and Silicon Valley locals to Madera. Featuring an open artisan wood-burning kitchen and extensive wine list, Madera serves rustic American cuisine that celebrates the culinary traditions of the Bay Area In addition to indoor and outdoor dining, Madera offers two private dining rooms with private terraces and cozy fireplaces. The Lemon Room seats up to 10 guests, and the Orange Room up to 14 guests. This Menlo Park restaurant is open daily for breakfast, lunch and dinner and for Sunday brunch as well.
New York City, New York
“Good food slow service”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We went to Madera for Dinner and breakfast and the food is excellent although the service is very very slow.

Visited July 2014

• Hebrew first
Danville, California
“A Lot to Like, A Few Flaws”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Madera has a lot to like. It starts with a great atmosphere. The dining room is beautiful, with a high beamed ceiling, comfortable chairs, and ample space between tables. The food is top shelf...an innovative menu, well-prepared. Among the favorites--strip loin steak, lamb, canneloni, halibut, salmon and summer squash. All tasty and nicely presented. Now for the downsides. The wine list, while comprehensive in every respect, is over-plriced. The corkage fee is ridiculous. $35 for the first bottle and $50 for each bottle thereafter. Are you kidding me? The desserts are a strange assemblage. The blackberry resembled a patch of soil, grainy and pebbly. No chocolate? No ice cream? No cheesecake? Or any cake for that matter. Service is hit and miss. The wait staff is attentive, but always in a hurry. Bottom line: for what they charge, Madera still has some work to do.

• Visited July 2014
Vancouver, Canada
“Great but deserving of 1 star?”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Firstly, this is a great restaurant. Service is exceptional and deserving of 1 star Michelin, We had exceptional friendly and knowledgeable service from our server Jessica and our sommelier Julie. Very accommodating and really unpretentious.

The food was a bit disappointing. It was excellent food but lacked the creativity you would expect from 1 star Michelin restaurant. There was nothing really memorable about the food other than the desserts, which were creations of art.

• Visited July 2014
Portola Valley, California
“Madera - Dinner”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Madera Restaurant is located on Rosewood and Sand Hill Road in Menlo Park. A fairly new hotel and restaurant catering to the Silicon Valley and Stanford crowds. A beautiful, spacious location with a terrace overlooking the foothills. Great view, large open kitchen and dining area, beautifully furnished. My wife and I joined another couple who had purchased dinner at a charity auction. The restaurant was busy with many business groups dining. Fairly loud with the high vaulted ceilings, connected kitchen and large parties. Service was slow.

My wife and I started with a glass of chardonnay and pinot noir. Our server eventually came and we ordered gazpacho and shrimp appetizers. They were both decoratively presented but average. Our salmon and halibut entrees took a long time to arrive and our waiter kept asking if we wanted more wine. When the entrees arrived nearly 60 min after being seated, the halibut was well prepared but my salmon was dry and over cooked in spite of ordering it medium rare. We had banana cake and cheese cake for dessert, both were very good. Our bill including wine, appetizers, entrees, dessert, tax and tip came to almost $200.

So a mixed review of the restaurant. Beautiful location, great views watching the sun set, slow service, small portions, very showy presentations, a disappointing salmon entrée, very noisy and very expensive. If your business or a charity purchase is paying, it’s an interesting experience. With the noise level and business crowd, it is not a romantic setting. There are much better restaurants in the area for far less money.

• Visited June 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Delicious food for Celiacs/gluten-free, great view too”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I have Celiac Disease and must maintain a strict gluten free diet, and the Madera always rises to the occasion. I recommend calling before and placing your order with Matt, the thoughtful and knowledgeable manager! He is well versed in Celiac needs and always walks me through the menu, item by item, to tell me what is gluten free (or can be made gluten free) or not. Matt always takes great care of me and makes sure to talk to the chef personally about preparing my food safely. I always call either the day before or the morning of my reservation so that there is adequate time for him to talk to the chef and for the chef to prepare my food (the kitchen is a bit small). They always separate a piece of meat for me (or whatever I order) before it gets handled by other cooks. He also stops by the table a few times during dinner to make sure everything is going smoothly! The outdoor seating area is our favorite spot too, with warm heaters and a great view. There is a nice bar that is always well-populated, but be prepared for a wide age range. Be sure to make a reservation for the restaurant too!

The only negative experience we had was when Matt wasn't working and we tried breakfast here. I brought a gluten free pancake mix from home and saw the chef dip his hand into the batter after handling a different dish that wasn't mine (the kitchen is open so you can see the chefs), then he poured my batter on the crepe maker after I specifically asked for a fresh pan that was far away from the "normal" pancakes...so the whole mix went to waste and I was left without breakfast.

• Visited February 2014