“Perfection”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Menlo Park
Stanford Guest House
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Menlo Park
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I would say (but hate to admit) that I'm an extremely picky person, especially when it comes to hotels. My favorite hotel is the Four Seasons. However, that being said, I LOVED my stay at the Stanford Guest House. My room was perfect...it just simply had everything I needed. It was incredibly clean. The breakfast was lovely.

But there are two things that really stood out about my stay at the Stanford Guest House:

1. I had made a reservation with the Stanford Guest house shuttle to get to the Caltrain station. Unfortunately, I was late getting to the hotel to pick up my luggage and missed my shuttle. Ashley went out of her way to stop the Marguerite from leaving SLAC that had just dropped me off, then ran out to get the golf cart and raced me to the Marguerite which was nearly at the guard house. It was fairly unbelievable and an incredible effort on her part. She treated me like this was no problem at all, when in fact, I know it was!

2. I forgot to bring some toiletries with me on my trip. The maid working down the hallway went absolutely out of her way to accommodate me. Again, she treated me like this was no problem at all, when it really went beyond her job responsibilities. She was remarkably gracious.

These experiences at the Stanford Guest Hotel were amazing. I really can't say enough. Your staff is incredible, your facilities are outstanding. Thank you for such an enjoyable stay. You exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
7  Thank bluekitchen

Reviewed 14 April 2013

I spent a week visiting the Stanford campus, and was directed to the Stanford Guest House by my hosts. Usually before I take a trip I spend a fair amount of time reading about the hotel and restaurants in the area so there are no surprises, but this time with conference presentations in San Francisco right before Stanford and a book chapter due right after, I neglected to prepare. Which led to quite a bit of consternation on arrival! First, the location in the SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, seemed a bit, well, odd (although I suppose Sheldon Cooper would be thrilled). Checking in on a Saturday afternoon also meant no food available on the campus, which is some distance from anything useful, like a restaurant, or store, or even the Stanford campus, for that matter. So the first 10 minutes or so on site were filled with some trepidation.

But once I got situated in my room, all was right with the world. Another reviewer noted that it “doesn't feel like a hotel as much as it feels like the most upscale and lovely dorm you've ever stayed in” and I couldn’t agree more. The room, while small, was very clean, with cute furnishings, incredibly comfortable beds and linens, a flat screen TV with many channels, and a strong shower with copious hot water. For $5.00 extra per night, I was able to have a microwave and refrigerator brought to the room which negated any inconvenience of location, or the fact that only breakfast is available on the weekends. At the time of my visit, four different restaurants were delivering to SLAC – I only availed myself of one (the pizza restaurant) but delivery was easy and the food was good; with the refrigerator I felt comfortable ordering enough food for the whole weekend and only having to deal with delivery once, which worked very well. Other conveniences include the coin operated washers and dryers (the front desk staff are happy to make change), the drink and snack vending machines, and the shuttle, which will take passengers to the main and medical campus, the restaurants and market in Sharon Park, the train station, etc. Although the breakfast is typical cafeteria fare, the walk to breakfast is quite nice, passing several oak trees loaded with acorn woodpeckers in the morning. Dining outside is a lovely start to the day. The staff was very helpful overall, with shuttle drivers Sigourney and Manny especially friendly. I had no problem getting a seat on the shuttle; just made my reservations the night before. Shuttles to campus left on the hour. There is also Marguerite bus service which might be more convenient depending on your schedule. Wireless was free and signal was strong.

All in all I cannot think of a place I would rather stay when visiting Stanford – the SGH has everything that a traveler needs and above all is so comfortable. I have already made my reservations for a return in August! Scoring this type of property is difficult – clearly it is not a high-class resort or venerable old hotel. But what it does it does very well, and as such, earns a solid 5. I highly recommend the Stanford Guest House to visitors to the Stanford campus and/or medical center.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank reptileenthusiast
Reviewed 25 February 2013

With compact, well-appointed rooms, comfortable beds, and easy access to I280, this modern lodging has frequent shuttle access to the Stanford campus. Friendly, efficient staff create a great mood, which is particularly welcomed by family caregivers of patients at Stanford's renowned medical center.

Included breakfast at the nearby SLAC's Harvest Cafe includes hot and cold choices, juice, and designer coffees. There's a Peet's machine downstairs for coffe and tea at all hours. Free wireless Internet works well, and there are two desktop machines in the lobby to print ypur boarding pass.

Quiet setting and quiet, pleasant guests.

You have to have a campus contact, but otherwise you'd not be able to get in, it's so good.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank boybanker
Reviewed 18 January 2013

Nice room for the price that was very clean with a comfy bed. Free Wifii. Staff was friendly and helpful. Location not really walking distance to anything but hotel shuttle was easy to schedule. Quick shuttle ride to the hospitals and downtown Palo Alto. Marguerite is also available to get around but doesn't come by very frequently.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Fran S
Reviewed 29 November 2012

We stay at the SGH when we travel LPCH for the care of our 3 year old daughter. We ,unfortunately, have frequent visits annually and live 4 + hours away. The hospital is less than five minutes away. When we arrive we are warmly greeted. Any special needs we have are always taken care of to the best of the staff's abilities. The rooms are clean. The price is reasonable. The breakfast is available on and off premises. We are thankful to be treated like family and our daughter enjoys the familiarity of staying at the same place. Thank you SGH!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Kristyn M
Reviewed 25 November 2012

The guest house is a fairly priced act of kindness for patients and family. The shuttle was a much appreciated amenity, and the included cooked breakfast was quite fair and sufficient. The room was very comfortable. The 24/7 Peet's coffee machine and morning muffins and Danish were quite good.

It is unfortunate that we had to drive off the grounds to get dinner. I guess there was not enough demand to keep the cafeteria open for dinner.

The free shuttle is another great act of kindness, although it takes constant checking to make sure that the reservations are right.

Room Tip: We were content with the small room with the queen bed. It was perfectly satisfactory.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zelins
Reviewed 31 October 2012

The facilities were clean and the staff were nice. There was a laundry room which is convenient. I didn't really mind going through the security check-in but I can see it being a nuisance to others. We took the Marguerite most of the time but also made use of the shuttle. They run the shuttle once an hour so you kind of have to time your day around it, can't use it like a taxi service.

The main downside was how far it was from everything. Not close to campus or downtown or anything really. The food was also not great. The Harvest Cafe is completely closed on weekends and there's not really anything around the area. It was also impossible to get a cab out there.

The other thing is that the walls are pretty thin so you have a neighbour with a loud voice, you get to hear all their conversations at 6:30am. The shower pressure was also pretty terrible but YMMV.

I don't know if I'd stay here again. Maybe if I had a car.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
#2 of 27 in Palo Alto
Rosewood Sand Hill
Rosewood Sand Hill
#3 of 10 in Menlo Park

Been to Stanford Guest House? Share your experiences!