“Best Place to Stay for Stanford-related Visits”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Menlo Park
Stanford Guest House
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Menlo Park
Reviewed 9 August 2013

This isn't a luxury hotel, but it's secure (24-hour security checking your license against the guest list before driving through the gate), it's clean, and it's the most reasonably priced place in the area. The breakfast is better than your average hotel, and it's included in the rate. Water, teas, coffee...all are available 24/7. Don't mistake this for the Stanford Inn (which is a complete pit). I won't stay anywhere but the Stanford Guest House when I have medical appointments at Stanford. The staff are always friendly, and it's beginning to feel a bit like home to me. It's a great place for those with prolonged stays, as it even has an in-house laundry facility.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank Suzanne K

Reviewed 1 August 2013

The guest house is not big and not necessarily hotel like. But it provides a good place to stay for those who have connections with Stanford University. The room is small but generally clean. The guest house staff are helpful and they also act as the shuttle driver to bring guest to various places on campus. The breakfast is served as the SLAC dinner room up hill. The quality of the breakfast is good and guests also have opportunities to meet with faculty members and researchers.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2013

For a person staying on campus, this is a fine choice. It is close to campus facilities. The rooms are small but adequately appointed -- suitable for either one person or two people who know each other exceptionally well.

However, the room was not clean -- I scrubbed the bathroom floor because it was sticky and covered in another person's hair. It was clear that the bathroom had not been cleaned after the last person checked out. There was also a lot of noise from adjoining rooms and the floor above. Some of the front desk staff was friendly; others were surly.

As a courtesy, the Guest House offers a shuttle to locations on campus. The shuttle forgot to pick me up one afternoon. The SLAC public shuttle is a much more reliable option.

Room Tip: Request a room on the top floor.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Anna-cedars
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I stayed at this guest house after driving my son back up to Stanford after a school break and was pleasantly surprised at how lovely it was. I didn't know what to expect at such a low price. My room was small like a single dorm room might be but had everything I needed and was clean, quiet and comfortable. The breakfast just across the road was wonderful as it offered much more than a standard continental breakfast fare with a choice of hot entrees should you choose to indulge. Staff was extremely friendly. I've not had an opportunity to return here but have tried a few times to get a reservation on return trips to Stanford. If you plan on travelling here during any major events including moving into and out of dorms, graduation, football games, book way in advance. If they have availability I'll stay here first over any other nearby hotel. Value for room is a fair value - not overpriced like many hotels in the area with similar accommodation but the value for service is over the top!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank DJM2320
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I would say (but hate to admit) that I'm an extremely picky person, especially when it comes to hotels. My favorite hotel is the Four Seasons. However, that being said, I LOVED my stay at the Stanford Guest House. My room was perfect...it just simply had everything I needed. It was incredibly clean. The breakfast was lovely.

But there are two things that really stood out about my stay at the Stanford Guest House:

1. I had made a reservation with the Stanford Guest house shuttle to get to the Caltrain station. Unfortunately, I was late getting to the hotel to pick up my luggage and missed my shuttle. Ashley went out of her way to stop the Marguerite from leaving SLAC that had just dropped me off, then ran out to get the golf cart and raced me to the Marguerite which was nearly at the guard house. It was fairly unbelievable and an incredible effort on her part. She treated me like this was no problem at all, when in fact, I know it was!

2. I forgot to bring some toiletries with me on my trip. The maid working down the hallway went absolutely out of her way to accommodate me. Again, she treated me like this was no problem at all, when it really went beyond her job responsibilities. She was remarkably gracious.

These experiences at the Stanford Guest Hotel were amazing. I really can't say enough. Your staff is incredible, your facilities are outstanding. Thank you for such an enjoyable stay. You exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
7  Thank bluekitchen
Reviewed 14 April 2013

I spent a week visiting the Stanford campus, and was directed to the Stanford Guest House by my hosts. Usually before I take a trip I spend a fair amount of time reading about the hotel and restaurants in the area so there are no surprises, but this time with conference presentations in San Francisco right before Stanford and a book chapter due right after, I neglected to prepare. Which led to quite a bit of consternation on arrival! First, the location in the SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, seemed a bit, well, odd (although I suppose Sheldon Cooper would be thrilled). Checking in on a Saturday afternoon also meant no food available on the campus, which is some distance from anything useful, like a restaurant, or store, or even the Stanford campus, for that matter. So the first 10 minutes or so on site were filled with some trepidation.

But once I got situated in my room, all was right with the world. Another reviewer noted that it “doesn't feel like a hotel as much as it feels like the most upscale and lovely dorm you've ever stayed in” and I couldn’t agree more. The room, while small, was very clean, with cute furnishings, incredibly comfortable beds and linens, a flat screen TV with many channels, and a strong shower with copious hot water. For $5.00 extra per night, I was able to have a microwave and refrigerator brought to the room which negated any inconvenience of location, or the fact that only breakfast is available on the weekends. At the time of my visit, four different restaurants were delivering to SLAC – I only availed myself of one (the pizza restaurant) but delivery was easy and the food was good; with the refrigerator I felt comfortable ordering enough food for the whole weekend and only having to deal with delivery once, which worked very well. Other conveniences include the coin operated washers and dryers (the front desk staff are happy to make change), the drink and snack vending machines, and the shuttle, which will take passengers to the main and medical campus, the restaurants and market in Sharon Park, the train station, etc. Although the breakfast is typical cafeteria fare, the walk to breakfast is quite nice, passing several oak trees loaded with acorn woodpeckers in the morning. Dining outside is a lovely start to the day. The staff was very helpful overall, with shuttle drivers Sigourney and Manny especially friendly. I had no problem getting a seat on the shuttle; just made my reservations the night before. Shuttles to campus left on the hour. There is also Marguerite bus service which might be more convenient depending on your schedule. Wireless was free and signal was strong.

All in all I cannot think of a place I would rather stay when visiting Stanford – the SGH has everything that a traveler needs and above all is so comfortable. I have already made my reservations for a return in August! Scoring this type of property is difficult – clearly it is not a high-class resort or venerable old hotel. But what it does it does very well, and as such, earns a solid 5. I highly recommend the Stanford Guest House to visitors to the Stanford campus and/or medical center.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank reptileenthusiast
Reviewed 25 February 2013

With compact, well-appointed rooms, comfortable beds, and easy access to I280, this modern lodging has frequent shuttle access to the Stanford campus. Friendly, efficient staff create a great mood, which is particularly welcomed by family caregivers of patients at Stanford's renowned medical center.

Included breakfast at the nearby SLAC's Harvest Cafe includes hot and cold choices, juice, and designer coffees. There's a Peet's machine downstairs for coffe and tea at all hours. Free wireless Internet works well, and there are two desktop machines in the lobby to print ypur boarding pass.

Quiet setting and quiet, pleasant guests.

You have to have a campus contact, but otherwise you'd not be able to get in, it's so good.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Menlo Park Inn
Menlo Park Inn
#4 of 11 in Menlo Park
Nobu Hotel, Epiphany Palo Alto

Been to Stanford Guest House? Share your experiences!