“Small but comfy rooms at good rate”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Menlo Park
Stanford Guest House
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Menlo Park
Windhoek, Namibia
“Small but comfy rooms at good rate”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

As far as Palo Alto goes, this must be about the most basic place there is. But also the cheapest. I was at a conference at Stanford and it worked out wonderfully, and I would not hesitate to stay there again if I were at something affiliated with Stanford (a "normal" person can't just stay there. You need to be doing something at Stanford).

I arrived pretty early, around 11:00am, but they got me right in. My room was very small, which I expected...but it was actually slightly smaller than I expected. But it had all of the basics (TV with cable, desk/chair, decent-sized bathroom), and was clean. The bed was pretty comfortable. WiFi had multiple networks available - I first used the Stanford Visitor network which was ok. I later switched to Eduroam, which was faster and great (but you need to work for a university that has Eduroam itself, I belive).

During my first day, I took a run up to campus to explore, which is maybe 1.5 miles each way up Sand Hill Road. The sidewalk is unacceptably torn up for the first 1/2 mile or so, but gets better after that. Later that night, I took the shuttle to/from downtown Palo Alto (drops you at Caltrain Station), and that worked well for exploring a bit.

During my conference, I used a combination of conference-arranged buses and the SLAC Marguerite bus, and both worked well.

The only fault I saw was with the staff. They were pretty split between awesome and mediocre. One would be the friendliest, most welcoming person in the world (especially Consuela!), and the next would seem miserable and exude it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Zacharius

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Korean first
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My daughter and myself was attending a conference at the university. We stayed for two nights in a single room. The room was very clean and well maintained. So was the tiny bathroom. I was presently surprised to find and Ironing board with Iron, a hair dryer a very clean sheets and towels. There are microwaves and refrigerators in the hotel for guests to use. Very friendly staff. A quiet place, very peaceful. The price is a bit too expensive and you can get cheaper places to stay outside the campus grounds. The single room with a double bed is extremely small but we didn't mind as we were only looking for a safe and clean place to rest at night. Besides me and my daughter are small built people. For anyone who is much bigger, it maybe too small. There is free WiFi and continental breakfast, a laundry room and free shuttle service to the campus but make sure to book the shuttle and keep reminding the front desk the night before you request the shuttle. There was some miscommunication when we tried to book the shuttle. Overall, I can recommend this to anyone who don't mind the price tag.

Room Tip: A double room is recommended IF you don't mind the price, if you are looking for more extra spac...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank NATASHA1960
Sweden
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The Stanford Guest House is a no frills hotel. It is very close to SLAC and 10 minutes drive from Stanford university. The hotel is not very fancy but everything is there, a comfortable bed, fast (complimentary) WiFi, good working AC, a clean room, and an almost ok breakfast with bagels, cream cheese, coffee, juice and a few other things. The only thing I missed was a pool when getting back from a hectic and hot day.

A good choice for visiting Stanford and SLAC.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

I didn't know what to expect as the hotel was booked by the conference coordinator I was working for. The check in was efficient and the staff very friendly. My room was very small and had minimal furnishings. The bed was comfortable but I was quite claustrophobic in the tight space. Breakfast was sparse continental and I opted for the new Starbucks located in the parking lot. Shuttle service to the university was efficient. For a quick overnight trip, it was ok.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I think Stanford Guest House (though may be referred as modest to many) provides a warm, comfortable, clean, home away from home.
Unfortunately, now that our son's time at Stanford is coming to an end, we will no longer be able to stay here because it is for guests who are visiting with some association with Stanford University,

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank EllenGreenspoon
London
Reviewed 11 May 2014

There's probably only two reasons to stay at the Stanford Guest House: you're visiting Stanford University, or you're waiting for a procedure at Stanford Medical Centre. Guests are therefore mostly geeks or invalids, which is an unusual but harmonious mixture. We were the former. The facility is relatively new, and on a bad day looks a bit like a juvenile correctional facility. But the rooms are very neat and well organized, with surprisingly comfortable beds. The lovely staff keep it all immaculately clean. Breakfast is generous and included, although the coffee (which looks like it might be nice because it is Peets) was actually pretty horrid. It was warm enough to sit outside for breakfast most mornings. The Guest House is inside the security perimeter of the Stanford Linear Accelerator, which made it hard to find when we first arrived (you have to go through security). Very useful free bus down to campus. Five minute drive to Flea St Cafe, which was excellent.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank lyfliyfhv
Puget Sound
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

The rooms are a little small but the price is right, it's comfortable, safe, very convenient and friendly staff. Nice workout room, breakfast room and outdoor seating. The street entrance is unique to say the least. You must go through a guarded gate to SLAC Stanford Linear Accelerator. We kept looking around to Lenard and Sheldon. :-)
Normally the campus bus stops In front of the guesthouse but it was not operating durning our stay to to construction nearby.

Stayed April 2014
#3 of 10 in Menlo Park
Red Cottage Inn
Red Cottage Inn
#8 of 10 in Menlo Park

Been to Stanford Guest House? Share your experiences!