“Don't be fooled by the website photos! Noisiest place I have ever stayed!”
Review of Menlo Park Inn

Menlo Park Inn
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Menlo Park
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Myself and a colleague stayed here for a week while attending a nearby conference, and from someone who generally sleeps like a log and doesn't get disturbed by noise, you can trust me when I say this is the noisiest place I have ever stayed in.
I had no complaints about the trains like other guests, it was more the noise from the cleaning staff and other guests as the walls were paper thin!
The first night we had a couple next door who were really making the most of their bedroom time, make that about 8 times in a row all through the night, and we could hear EVERYTHING!
Then we had a guy upstairs who arrives at some ungodly hour in the morning, constantly paced around his room, and then skyped his family - again, we heard EVERYTHING!
We were also stationed right next to the cleaners quarters, so every morning we had their chit-chat and phone conversations, and trundling along with their cleaning gear.
Then we had the rubbish truck, which was honestly the loudest rubbish truck ever, and someone may as well have stood over my bed banging pots and pans together for an hour.
Also, the room we had was on the ground floor, got no sun, and only had a small desk lamp and a small bedside lamp for lighting the whole room - it was so dim that I often ended up with a tension headache from the poor lighting.
Also, the breakfast was terrible, I don't know how you can go wrong with boiled eggs, but those suckers were like rubber balls.
The only good thing I have to say about this place is that the beds were super comfy and the rooms were nicely decorated.
However, the standard of this hotel is really deceiving on the website, it's OK, but but not as nice as it looks in their photos...
And for the amount that we payed per night.... what an incredible rip off. The next hotel we stayed at was $100/night cheaper, included a full cooked buffet breakfast and was absolute luxury.

Room Tip: Don't even bother. Chose another place to stay. I don't think any room choice will save you...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank SophieandGlenn

Reviewed 14 December 2013

I couldn"t believe I had to pay $257 (through Hotels.com) to stay in a motel. I had a business meeting in Palo Alto and the prices there were so astronomical I began to look in neighboring cities and this one actually began to seem reasonable. The rooms were upgraded from motel decor to try to look like an upscale hotel room, but that was some time ago apparently because the rooms are beginning to show their age. I was comfortable, the room was clean, there was water, an orange, some cookies and trail mix waiting for me and the staff was very nice. But, it's a motel.

Room Tip: I would take the second floor for the safety and noise factor but there's no elevator.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank chat89
Reviewed 11 December 2013

This hotel is right on top of El Camino and has a train running nearby. The train runs all night. So even a room in the back of the hotel (where there's still plenty of street noise) cannot escape the train noise. Room was a bit shabby. It's a motel - entrances are outdoors so if you're not comfortable with that, beware.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Menlo Park Inn is a pretty good motel. I like theirs quality.

We took a free GPS and it was a great bonus. Usualy motels and car rentals have not free GPS.

Staff is very very good. When we were needed to stay for two more days they helped to find a room and made a present when we were leaving.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 November 2013

$339 per night for this hotel? Come on, really? I stayed for two nights and cannot believe the rate for this motel. I could easily hear the people talk in the next room. Each morning I woke up to their alarm at 3:30 am. One phone did not work and every time I turned then TV on I needed to reprogram the HDMI settings for it to work. I could hear street noise - no wonder they left a nice packet in the room with ear plugs... Never going back here again. It is an overpriced motel with dirty carpet and no closet (open coat rack in the bathroom area). Wow.

Room Tip: If you stay, ask for a room in the back corner or an end unit upstairs so you may only be bothered b...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 November 2013

the Menlo Park Inn is a very nice (small) motel in Menlo Park. the rooms are well appointed and very clean. Staff is courteous and efficient. Good value for the money. The continental breakfast had a nice selection and the coffee is excellent!!!! The in room coffee maker is a welcome benefit.

Room Tip: second floor rooms are more private
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Just across the line from Palo Alto, this motel is quite convenient to Stanford, which was our destination for this trip. This is a typical L-shaped, two-story motel setup that has been nicely rehab'd and kept up. The operators are very friendly and put out the extra effort to make you feel welcome as a guest instead of just another wallet. At check-in, we were presented with a basket of bottled waters and home-made cookies, both quite welcome after a long drive. The rooms are decently sized, with mix-and-match furniture that is nonetheless in good shape, comfortable, and useful. The bathrooms were clean and modern, the beds firm and comfortable. Wifi is free and excellent, with four different repeater locations to choose from so that you get a strong signal. One of my favorite features is that the hidef flat screen TV is provided with an actual hidef cable feed, unlike many "luxury" hotels that provide only an analog signal (with it's "fat-people" picture). And it has a generous array of channels including ESPN. We had an upper room, which I would recommend if you can handle a flight of stairs with your luggage, as our floor in the sink area squeaked prodigiously, and I wouldn't have wanted the room below ours (208). We didn't have occasion to use either the heat or the AC, but the unit appeared to be newer. The breakfast room was light and pleasant, and the offerings ranged from cold cereals to make-your-own waffles. Entirely adequate and very welcome each morning. There are several restaurants within walking distance, including a Turkish one that was quite good. We'll be repeat visitors whenever we are in this area.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Residence Inn Palo Alto Menlo Park
Dinah's Garden Hotel
Dinah's Garden Hotel
#2 of 27 in Palo Alto

Been to Menlo Park Inn? Share your experiences!