“Okay Motel But Definitely Not a "3 Star Inn"”
Review of Menlo Park Inn

Menlo Park Inn
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Menlo Park
newport beach, ca
“Okay Motel But Definitely Not a "3 Star Inn"”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

This is a motel with construction every day from 9-5. The outside of the motel is covered in construction materials (including scaffolding) and you have to watch for nails in the parking lot (we found two). The workers smoke outside the rooms and leave cigarettes all over the parking lot and in the planters (filled with dead plants). The breakfast is nothing special (boiled eggs, waffles, bread products, cereal and oranges if you are lucky -- they only leave four out at a time and never any other fruit). Staff are nice and try to be helpful but not consistent with requests. Bedding and bed are mediocre quality and the furniture in the room and breakfast area are pretty dirty but at least the bathrooms were kept clean. Also, there is no "business center." It is a tiny alcove with one computer and chair. You can hear through the walls and the construction is noisy but the general population staying there is pretty quiet and reasonable.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Matt M, Manager at Menlo Park Inn, responded to this review, 24 October 2014
Hello there,

Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback! Reviews like these are fantastic opportunities for me and my team to grow, so it's very much appreciated. Also, please forgive my delayed response to this post.

The nails and cigarette butts have been resolved because of this commentary that you'd offered. The nails could have caused a serious challenge, and it's really appreciated that you'd brought it to our attention.

A great bit of news as well, we're in the process of upgrading our kitchen facilities. In a short time we will be revamping our breakfast options as well.

Please feel free to contact me directly prior to your next visit to the Menlo Park area, I'd love to show you some of the improvements we've made. I can be reached via email at matt@concepthotelgroup.com.

Thanks again for your feedback and have a great day!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Keene, New Hampshire
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Who would want to stay in a construction zone for a week? Nearly every morning I was awakened by hammering, electric saws, workers yelling to each other and a compressed air drill. When I opened the curtains I was greeted by a huge construction bin full of building debris. It was a very greedy decision to keep this place open during construction. At night I could hear people talking, walking in other rooms. For $200 a night you expect something better than this. When I complained about the noise they gave me a pair of earplugs! Seriously!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Craig B
Hello Craig,

Thanks for taking the time to review us, but I'd also like to preface any conversation we have past this point with my apologies that we weren't able to live up to your expectations. If you have a chance, please feel free to email me at matt@concepthotelgroup.com, I'd like to get more information if you can.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stay in Palo Alto several times a year, so we've tried most of the places in the area. Like many others, this is a renovated motel from the past. For nearly $200/night, I expect a tad more, even in this expensive area.

Despite the Xperience Manager when I brought some points to his attention telling me to contact him directly in future and he'd make sure we had a quieter room, as a regular user of Trip Advisor, I think it's only fair to all of you to point out the weaknesses & then the choice is up to you.

Our problems:
. no one told us that there was serious construction going on for the next 3 month so even though the workers try to keep their noise at a minimum and during the daytime hours, the place looks like a construction zone when you arrive 'home'. There is no pool. no touch of greenery. no private outdoor space to sit.
. there is virtually no soundproofing so I could hear actual conversations from the rooms on either side of us and couldn't sleep til they decided to sleep, and when the people on the floor above were walking around it was very loud in our unit: when they got up, we got up. so if you must stay here at least ask for a corner unit on the top floor. there are 4 so you may get lucky.
. the pillows are hugely thick and lumpy, not designed for a human's neck/head. I determined to bring my own pillow in future until I realized I wasn't compelled to sleep there again.
. my night table was not wiped off and for 3 days I had the same sticky glass rings; made me wonder about the rest of the cleaning. Daily tipping the housekeeper doesn't seem to have any impact.
. the toilet is on water save & when you flush it, the paper doesn't go down. so you wait & flush it a second time if you are at all self-conscious about your partner seeing your waste products
. the shower is also water saver and best described as a 'trickle shower'; very difficult to remove shampoo so any water saving is used up by having to stand there longer.
. after the first night our kerig coffee items were not replaced, and even though I went to the front desk to obtain some for the next morning, explaining that they had not been replaced, this was not corrected on subsequent mornings.
. on a positive note: the room size is good, the bed is comfortable, there is a nice reading chair & ottoman; the breakfast has cold boiled eggs, waffles, and bagels with cream cheese & good coffee.

we won't be back but you may have a better experience. good luck.

Room Tip: make sure you get top floor corner unit for a somewhat quieter sleep.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheReids
Hello Mr and Mrs Reid,

Thanks for the review, and thanks for taking the time to bring some of the less than appealing points of your stay to my attention. The immediate points, such as replenishing room amenities and making sure all counters are scrubbed daily I've brought to the attention of my Clean Team Manager. Thanks again for bringing these to our attention.

I'd love to open further dialogue with you about your stay if you have the opportunity. Please feel free to email me at matt@concepthotelgroup.com and we can speak a little further about this.

Thanks again!
Carmel, California
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Part of the motel was in renovation & construction, which made access a little inconvenient, & even on a Sat morn a little noisy. Parking lot was small & spaces v narrow, but room was very nice, beds comfortable, room clean & well & conveniently furnished & arranged, even had a pretty well lit bathroom w/a mag mirror. Would have liked it to have been lighted as well, but just happy to have it there in a well-lit bath. Plumbing was in good order. I could not use the products because my skin detected the presence of soy as an ingredient to which I am allergic. We look forward to returning on a regular basis because of its location south of San Francisco, the great shopping locally, because we have family in the area, & especially to see the final outcome of the updating & renovation they are in the process of.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Alice G
Hello Alice,

Thanks for giving us the honest review of the property. Parking is definitely one of the issues we're addressing during the exterior transition. I'm looking into the products we use in the rooms and I'm seeing that what we have has an olive oil base. I'm not sure if Soy is a part of it, but I'll definitely take a look so that if we need alternative options we can make them available for our Guests.

Once again, thanks for the review and hopefully we'll see you again next time.
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Yes they NEED to finish the outside ASAP!!! But the rooms are great for the cheap price. Very clean and they thought of the little stuff. Happy stay and would come again.
Loved the cookies and wifi and lots of channels. Super clean and comfy beds.
But fix the outside yesterday guys.

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Kristina R
ConceptHigh, General Manager at Menlo Park Inn, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Hello Kristina,

Thanks for taking the time to give us your positive feedback! We're getting closer to the final product on the property exterior, hopefully we'll get the chance to show you what we've done with the place on your next visit.

Thanks again, Kristina!
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 6 April 2014

First stay but will return. Always hard to find good value in the value but sure did here. My new fav! Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. El went out of his way to ensure the restaurant I wanted to go to was open and when he called and found out it was closed on Monday (it's a valley sushi thing I guess being closed Mondays) he helped us find something else close by. Overall a great place to stay!

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank BrianSunsetroad
Hello Brian,

It was our pleasure hosting you while you were in town! Can't wait to show you final product outside, and I've made sure to pass your praises on to El as well.

We'll look forward to seeing you again,

Thanks!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 April 2014

The Menlo Park Inn is an upscale motel in an expensive area near Stanford University. A bit pricey but clean, with good amenities for frequent travelers (coffee machine, refrigerator, microwave, make up mirror in bathroom...). Rooms are large (see photos), staff is very friendly and willing to go out of their way to make you feel at home. Because it is a "motel" style hotel your car is parked just steps from your door. By the way - I had difficulty with the door key until I learned that you need to lift the handle to open the door (I kept trying to open it by pushing the handle down). They serve a good cold breakfast with hard boiled eggs, pastries, yogurt, toast/bagels and they have a pancake machine. They have no restaurant onsite but a GREAT informal pizza place a few minutes walk. Beds are comfortable, connectivity good.

Although I am not handicapped I thought that it was well designed as a handicap room. Plenty of space to wheel around, large bathroom with space below the sink if you are in a wheelchair. Did not notice if the clothes rack had a low level option. There is a step down from the sidewalk outside your door to the parking area - did not notice if there was a way to avoid that. Perhaps they will take this into account during current construction.

Construction was a real problem. They days I was there jackhammers were digging up the sidewalks outside the door and construction crews filled the driveways during the day. I understand that construction should be completed in a couple of months so check with the hotel if you plan to spend the day in your room. If you are going out for the days then it doesn't matter. If your room is near the road you can hear the traffic going by.

The lobby was nicely appointed. Coffee/tea available free all day. Snacks for sale in a small kiosk. Small but comfortable breakfast area.

Staff are great. Not sure if they have a swimming pool, health club, or area to site outside.

Room Tip: You can hear cars go by in the rooms next to the street. The hotel is on two floors so if you have...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Joyce M
Hello Joyce,

Thanks for taking the time to give you constructive feedback. Your review was very thoughtful, and it's very much appreciated. I'd love to invite you back to the property sometime in mid-July if your travels take you to our area. Feel free to contact me at matt@concepthotelgroup.com

Thanks and have a great day!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Menlo Park
Creekside Inn - A Greystone Hotel
Garden Court Hotel
Garden Court Hotel
#4 of 27 in Palo Alto

Been to Menlo Park Inn? Share your experiences!