“A sweet little place in Menlo Park”
Review of Red Cottage Inn

Red Cottage Inn
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Menlo Park
Progreso, Mexico
“A sweet little place in Menlo Park”
Reviewed 31 March 2012

If you are headed for the Penninsula for business or pleasure, this is a pleasant alternative to a standard motel chain. Staff is friendly, wi-fi is free, the rooms are comfy and even breakfast is included. The location can't be beat. The grounds are lushly landscaped and there is a nice-looking pool in the back. Our 2nd floor room had a balcony and if it had not been raining, we would have enjoyed sitting out on the deck for awhile. An upscale coffee-maker in the room, along with a fridge, rounds out the amenities. I didn't give this a five-star because the breakfast room is completely inadeqaute during the breakfast rush, and there was no place to sit. However, they did provide trays for us to take food back to the room. All in all, a very pleasent motel experience. Check it out.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms all have balconies and are away from the parking lot.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SperanzaA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Highly recommend this hotel, very pleased with our experience. Our family stayed here for a week due to spouse's surgery at Stanford. I agree with the previous reviewers on the good personal service, recently updated exterior, and nice continental breakfast (good, hot coffee!). We stayed in a 2nd floor, two-bedroom kitchen suite overlooking the pool. Our rooms were clean, kids loved the extra space. Ikea kitchen was decently equipped; I cooked in it every night. Felt very home-like to us which was important for spouse's recovery. I saw the owner on-site every day, seems hands-on with daily hotel operation, and appears respectful of the front office & maintenance staff. Hotel is set-back from El Camino Real, so we did not hear any car traffic noise. Great proximity to Stanford and Menlo Park (Trader Joe's, Caltrain station, clean coin laundry @ corner of Menlo Ave. & El Camino Real). Also can walk to nearby Holbrook-Palmer Park, the Atherton Caltrain station, and the Atherton library. There aren't any sidewalks from El Camino Real north to these three places, but the neighborhood is very quiet with little traffic (in other words, OK for families to walk). Great value/affordable and terrific location. We would definitely stay here again for business or vacation!

Room Tip: Poolside rooms are quiet and in a beautiful courtyard.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Kearsargerat
Olinda, Australia
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I stayed here only one night. Had Iknown it would have been every night. The bed was supercomfortable with clean, quality linen. Breakfast was a good selection of continental type foods. I loved the little outdorr courtyard attached to the suite. I will definitely stay here again as I intend to be visiting the area twice per year for around two weeks each time for at least three years.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Anne Marie C
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel after reading reviews on Hotels.com and Tripadvisor. When you drive up it looks like a mom/pop hotel tucked into a busy street. It is a small hotel and the doors open into a courtyard. There is a small swimming pool tucked behind. I have stayed twice now and have been very happy with each stay. The rooms are very modern and cozy and very clean. The bathrooms are fairly large and clean as well. It is a very quiet hotel. There is a little outdoor sitting area outside of each room. The hotel lobby is small, but we never had a problem finding a place to sit in the morning. The desk staff aren't overly friendly but are very helpful when needed. I will stay here whenever I visit my daughter in Menlo Park. It is a great value and a very nice property!

Room Tip: I like the first floor facing the pool!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Kpeterson21
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 27 January 2012

I stayed at the surprisingly affordable Red Cottage Inn while attending a private event in Atherton. On the outside it's just a regular motel, but the rooms are clean, well-furnished and obviously recently updated. Nothing super-fancy, but certainly everything I needed! Not only that...I left some clothes in the closet when I checked out. They immediately e-mailed me to let me know and offered to mail them to me. Within 5 days I had received the clothes and they never demanded or even asked me to cover the postage. I would return there any time I need to be near Stanford or Palo Alto!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Maroa R
RCIadmin, Guest Relations Manager at Red Cottage Inn, responded to this review, 18 December 2012
Thank you for your kind words. We are very delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and the package of clothes we mailed arrived safely to you. We look forward in welcoming you back and celebrating events with you.
columbia
Reviewed 30 December 2011

We found this location last minute and what a find. It was comfortable and very pleasing. We would stay here again!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank jimandstacyh
oregon
Reviewed 18 November 2011

When I first pulled into the parking lot I was thinking I had made a terrible mistake booking a room there. The girl at the front desk was efficient but not overly nice and the "lobby" wasn't anything special so I was still a bit leery as I was walking to my room. Once I got to my room I was very pleasantly surprised. It was decorated very nice, looked immaculate, and had a nice little fenced in patio. The bed was very comfortable and the it was also very quiet which is extremely important to me because I'm a light sleeper. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Dinah's Garden Hotel
Dinah's Garden Hotel
#2 of 27 in Palo Alto
Residence Inn Palo Alto Menlo Park

Been to Red Cottage Inn? Share your experiences!