“Gold standard for anniversary/birthday lunch in Menlo Park”
Review of Left Bank

Left Bank
Reserve with OpenTable
Left Bank is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 123 Restaurants in Menlo Park
Price range: US$41 - US$80
Cuisines: French
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Doyle
Transit: The Caltrans stops only two blocks away.
Description: Left Bank is an authentic French brasserie celebrating Mediterranean Cuisine. Located in Menlo Park's charming downtown, Left Bank transports guests to a quaint brasserie in Paris. Open since 1998 and completely re-modeled in 2008, Left Bank offers a casual, charming brasserie setting where diners feast upon classic southern French cuisine. Our outdoor sidewalk cafe seating evokes a lively European atmosphere and is the perfect place for just an appetizer and beer or a 3-course meal with a beautiful bottle of wine. Whether it's at our sidewalk table, the gorgeous glass-walled bar, or in the casually elegant main dining room, you'll enjoy a fun & french experience. Thirteen years of working with local organic farms allows us to bring you the best seasonal ingredients available. Chef de Cuisine Steven Catalano offers an always changing menu focused on Southern French Cuisine.
Menlo Park, California
“Gold standard for anniversary/birthday lunch in Menlo Park”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

If you have a anniv/birthday celebration, and have been remiss in making Evvia reservations in PA(4mths lead time?) , then Left Bank is your go-to spot! Typically, easy to get a table and service is good. Mussel frites is the signature dish, and often runs out early. Drinks at the bar are unpretentious (unlike Madera), and a good way to take the edge off a long work day. Did take a business lunch/dinner meeting here several times, and clients/partners were duly impressed.

• Visited March 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Cheyenne, Wyoming
“Good for families, very good food”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Outstanding food, according to all in our party of six (including two young children). My wife and I were new to this restaurant, but were accompanied by others who had been here before. I can't verify that the food was truly "French", as some reviewers have questioned, but I can say it tasted great. Our dinner choices ranged from the kid's chicken tenders to the French onion soup to the lettuce salad to steak frites (the favorite of one of our repeat visitors) to trout to sole. We dined on a Tuesday evening and were seated right away. The receptionist and were staff were friendly and courteous. Our food was hot and brought out quickly, so no concerns there. The only hitches I noted were in the wine department. My wife ordered a rose that tasted very bland, like it was watered down (a special French style? the bottle open for too long? who knows?); upon our expression of concern, the wine was replaced by the same variety and brand of wine I was given. That was the second hitch; even though I took the trouble to point out on the menu the wine I wanted, I was served a different brand. When I asked later if the originally-ordered wine was on hand, I was told "yes." Why did I not get the one I ordered? I don't know. The waitress did take one glass of wine off the final bill as an apology, but I never did find out why the mix-up. Overall, though, a nice evening out with the family.

• Visited May 2014
Woodside, California
“Great place for a local or biz traveler as well”
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Welcoming staff and great food here. I have visited the bar for dinner as a single person traveling on business 3 times in the past month and a half. Comfortable, lively atmosphere with delicious food and beverage. Miguel, Liz and Tim are a symphony behind the bar.

1 Thank YankeeGirl88
cagliari
“best French Onion soup in town!!”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Great atmosphere and reasonable service.
Good original menu selections and great for date with some flair.

• Visited May 2013
Los Gatos, California
“Great Food, Fun Experience”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

The food is usually the star of the Left Bank. I've liked almost everything that I've tried there. The steamed mussels are particularly good. The GÂTEAU DE CRABE (think "crab cakes Benedict") on the brunch menu are simply outstanding. The one surprising disappointment was the oysters. They were small, dried out, and not as tasty as I had hoped that they'd be.

It's also fun to watch the Menlo Park residents interacting in their natural habitat, at least for us South Bay heathens.

The service seems to be a little bit hit-or-miss. If you get a good server, it can be fine, until the individual gets really busy, then you might find yourself feeling a tiny bit neglected.

• Visited March 2014