“clean and quiet”

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Menlo Park
Denver
“clean and quiet”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed in this motel for three nights while visiting family in the area. It was more reasonably priced than other accommodations in the area. The room was very clean and the facility was quiet. Good location as there was a Safeway grocery right next door. It had a refrigerator and microwave oven. Free wi-fi. Staff was very accomodating when we needed more towels. The only complaint was that it was run down. For example, the toilet seat was loose and the bed was sagging. However the excellent location and cleanliness made up for it. We would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Redmond, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2013

I had a conference near Stanford and I looked for a nearby place to stay for the week.
Due to my personal health issues, I needed a place that also has a kitchenette. Luckily for me, I came across the Mermaid Inn and managed to book a room.

The location is very convenient. There's a large Safeway grocery store right next to the motel which is open 24/7 and the Stanford Shopping Center is a 10-minute walk away. There's a bus stop right near the Safeway store, and free shuttles to Stanford pass through it almost around 20 minutes (look for the BOH line). The caltrain station is also pretty close to the Motel.

The staff was incredibly kind. They had no problem letting me check out late and were very kind to assist me throughout my stay. The rooms had everything I needed, including free wifi (which we all know is as important as... water).

Great place, will definitely return whenever I visit Stanford.

Room Tip: Top level floors are less noisy.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jonathan Y
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

This unfortunate stay made me think about how far away -- both in distance and in connection many hotel owners are from properties. These buildings, filled with rooms and services that busy travellers like us depend on are mere investments for many -- and there can be little concern for the actual customers. The hotel room had stains on chairs, carpets, old and questionable bed linens, bugs coming in through holes in screens, peeling paint, water stains... the works. I regret that I was too busy from the moment I arrived until early the next morning to change to a different hotel --- b/c it was not a good night's sleep in such an environment.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Fallbrook
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

I booked here for a night while visiting my son because it was the only local accomodation with a room under $150 a night. There was even a special on for $75 a night. This is really a motel. The blue and white sea theme is kind of kitschy and there were some mermaid figures in the office. Everything had been painted recently. There is a pool. The woman at the desk was so very bubbly that it made the experience very positive. The room was small but comfortable. The plumbing worked, the bed was okay. I didn't use the microwave or refrigerator or tv in the room, but I did use the wireless internet connection. There was no noise during the night, not even from the road, and the location is in an upscale area so I wasn't worried about my car. There was a Continental breakfast but I chose to go out to eat with my son instead. It was close to all major streets and next door to a grocery store/shopping area. I'd stay here again on my next visit. Problem was that in the room is a directory of local restaurants with stars by those indicating there was a binder with menus in them in the office. When asked the staff had no idea of what I was asking which made me think it had recently changed hands.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

I stayed in one of the kitchenette rooms. It had a full size fridge, microwave, stove, and sink. The room also had a nice comfortable futon, flat screen TV, and queen size bed. The bed was comfortable but nothing special. The showers were low flow showers but there was always hot water and no scalding issues. Breakfast was pretty basic. Overall it was a good stay.

• Stayed March 2013
San Diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2012

All the big hotels were full so I booked at the mermaid. I got the suite for $110 night. Big room with
Refrigerator and microwave. Sitting area. Great shower pulse brand with side shower heads
Nice bed, balcony. No iron or ironing board, no dresser or drawers. Loved the mermaid drawing in room. Some road noise no too bad. Internet great. There is a desk for working. Safeway food store and Starbucks next door. Coffee , OJ and pastry for breakfast. Nice pool area. No maid service we stayed 2 days

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Pumpman2
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

My family and I booked this hotel because of it's easy accessibility to Stanford Hospital. Our son was to report there at 5:30am for surgery the next morning. After attending his pre-op at the hospital, we went to check in at the hotel. Although the people at the front desk acknowledged that we did indeed have a reservation (I'd made sure to write down the confirmation number, and the name of the person who made the reservation), they did not have a room for us. They offered us the hostel--a room with bunk beds and no TV which stank of Lysol. It gave me an instant headache, there was no way that we could subject our son to that before surgery. This left us in the extremely bad position of having to find a room on short notice in a town which tends to book up early due to the number of people who stay here to obtain surgery at Stanford. The Mermaid staff made absolutely no attempt to help us in our search for a room. After numerous calls, we managed to find a vacancy, but spent far more than we would have had to if we had made the same reservation weeks ago (like our original reservation at the Mermaid). This unpleasant experience was not what we needed before the day of surgery.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
#2 of 27 in Palo Alto
Garden Court Hotel
Garden Court Hotel
#5 of 27 in Palo Alto

Been to Hotel Lucent? Share your experiences!