“Great value for location, many recent updates!!”
Review of Hotel Lucent

Hotel Lucent
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Menlo Park
San Jose, California
“Great value for location, many recent updates!!”
Reviewed 16 December 2010

I have stayed at the Mermaid Inn several times through out the year and have been content every single stay. The price for the rooms is well below that of neighboring hotels. The facility had seen several renovations of both rooms and exterior. Rooms 29 and 30 are gorgeously tiled and the wall painting while eco-friendly is also very soothing. The hotel is located on a main street (El Camino Real) for which some noise can be expected, however in their renovations they have installed double pane windows which reduce the noise. (This hotels is considered historic, as such it still has many of its original structure). Based on my frequent and long stays I can state it's well worth it for the prices offered. To begin, being that this business is family owned the lobby does close at 11pm, this hours are clearly stated on the website, as such arriving after this time will not guarantee check-in unless previously arranged. The rooms are non-smoking as the Mermaid Inn takes in many Stanford patients, this is a BIG plus. Being that the hotels is close to Stanford University, they do receive students particularly in June & September. While many are very respectful of the fact that there is Stanford patients residing, on occasion they receive a group of rowdy students and parents. The lobby has been renovated with a beautiful breakfast area which serve continental breakfast. The pool is a nice little addition during the summer. Parking is free and they recently started renting out bikes which is great for touring around the University. There is a Safeway located next door which is great for picking up a sandwich on the go as well as a Peet's and Starbucks located on both sides. Overall, my stays have been great, the staff are friendly an as accommodating within reason. Would definitely continue to stay here....

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank travelingontheroad

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Roberts Creek, Canada
Reviewed 14 November 2010

I came down here with my friend, who was taking a metal smithing course in the area. We drove down from Canada, and were very excited to spend some time in the area. Because of the long drive, we arrived late in the night; or rather early in the am. We had booked a room for that night and the next 2 days. When we arrived late and exhausted, as well as very happy to crawl into a bed, the motel office was obviously closed. When we tried to ring the night bell, no one came. Pretty much delirious we decided to sleep in the parking lot in the car; rather than drive around an area we did not know at all to find another motel. Upon our check in in the am, the woman was rude and annoyed with us. We crawled into bed in VERY cold room. Throughout the next day or two upon passing, the woman would glare at us everytime we would walk by. On day two we noticed a note on the door requesting we speak with the manager, and also noticed that our bed had been made. The manager accused us of smoking in the room and threatened to fine us $250.00. We absolutely did not smoke in our room. Admittedly we are both smokers, but do not even smoke in our own homes, and had been smoking outside our room. Because there was no ashtrays to be seen, we were putting our cigarette butts in an old smoke pack.When we tried to explain that that was probably what they were smelling in our room the woman became even more rude with us and told me that I was lying and her room maid was not. Interesting enough we found the smoke pack with cigarette butts that we had thrown in the garbage on the table in our room. So they were also going through our garbage and who knows what else. We have had to cancel the credit card that we gave them for the room, especially after reading the other reviews, as we are sure they are going to try to get more money out of us someway.DO NOT STAY HERE OR GIVE THESE PEOPLE YOUR MONEY. THIS REVIEW IS NOT THE ONLY ONE I FOUND, AND I WISH I HAD READ THEM BEFORE I CAME.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
6 Thank kimmykarolyn
Reviewed 10 November 2010

The price seemed fair until I seen the room! The beds are not queens. They are only full size. The photographer was great with photo shop. If u get what I mean. They were doing construction so the power kept going off and on. The light switch for the bathroom had a short. The door knob in the bathroom was loose and didn't work right. The room was clean and I didn't find bed bugs which was the only good thing about this place

• Stayed November 2010
1 Thank lonsher63
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 5 August 2010

Stayed there for 3 days in April 2010. Given the cheap price everything was acceptable BUT several day after I left the hotel they(hotel managers) stolen USD100 from my credit card. They explained this by telling me that I've stolen towels from the room.

Bottom line: never stay in this hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank GeorgeMoscow_Russia
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 25 July 2010

I work in retail, so customer service is very important to me - not so to the staff of Mermaid Inn.
I tried to send an email inquiry 3 times, but received no reply. I then tried to book online, waited a week for confirmation which never came, then had to make an international call to see what was going on.
They had no record of any of my inquiries, and I received no explanation or apology for the inconvenience, although at last, I was able to make the booking.
Several of us from Australia were coming over for my friend's wedding, and Mermaid got totally confused, booked too many rooms, and despite a couple of weeks notice of their mistake, they refused to let my friend cancel the extra room they'd booked, and they made her pay for an unused room.
When I got there, I was treated to sighs of exasperation that I'd dared to arrive in the middle of the afternoon, and whilst they fluffed about muttering and looking for my booking, I noticed they had tiny cards, written in pencil with the details, no computer system to keep things organized. Well no wonder they messed up!
When 2 others arrived later on in the week, they tried to give them a room that was already occupied, then tried to blame it on my friend who paid for the extra room!
Whilst there, the cleanliness was OK, but on 2 separate days, we ran out of toilet paper, a quarter of a roll being deemed enough by the cleaning staff.
The man who works reception seems nice enough, although a bit clueless. It took him ages to figure out how to charge my credit card.
The two women who work reception are rude, unhelpful, and generally horrible.
Altogether, despite the place being good value, and in a convenient location, the place is marred by gross incompetence and terrible customer service.

• Stayed July 2010
Oxon
Reviewed 17 April 2009

The Mermaid Inn (the actual homepage is hiding under www.mermaidinnmotel.com) is a basic equiped hotel, with nice size rooms and a very convinient location. For the prize you pay you recieve a good value. Except a lot of other places there is no charge for wireless internet access. (However in some rooms the signal might be less good.) Especially for long stays the location, close to a supermarket and nearby a laundry shop, and the train station, is convinient. The AC is a little bit loud and the windows not the newest once, but that is not a big problem. You wouldn't like to stay there for a "romantic trip to California" (spend more money on that, its not elegant and compfortalbe as a 5 star one!), but otherwise I can recommand it if you need a place to stay overnight or even for longer for work or as a starting point to explore the Bay Area. I was satisfied with the place, the service does only get 3 points, but only on default because that there is no restaurant or nice breakfast area within the hotel. On the other hand you don't need it, the supermarket and several restaurants are nearby. The staff is friendly and does help you with your questions.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Rendem
Italy
Reviewed 25 March 2009

I stayed at Mermaid inn for one week, being in the area on a business trip, and I was overall pleased. The rooms are big and with everything you need in there: double bed, night tables, table, three chairs, TV, refrigerator, microwave, bathroom.
When I came back in the evenings, the room was always tidy and clean.
The owner's daughter who often stays at the reception desk has a very annoying attitude that skims over rudeness, since she makes you feel like you are stealing her time, instead of putting you-the-guest at ease.
The surrounding area is definitely uneventful but this is not an issue if you are not there for entertainment. All the essential was there so, from this point of view, I didn't really have anything to complain about.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
#2 of 27 in Palo Alto
Garden Court Hotel
Garden Court Hotel
#5 of 27 in Palo Alto

Been to Hotel Lucent? Share your experiences!