“Palo Alto stay near downtown”

Best Western Plus Riviera
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Menlo Park
Reviewed 27 November 2012

Needed to be as close to downtown as I could afford. This fit the bill. It is less than a mile walk to the middle of downtown Palo Alto. The room and especially the bathroom were very clean. The noise level was high, with traffic from El Camino Real outside the window and the commuter rail line a half-block away. However, the road noise was not so great that I couldn't sleep and the trains eventually stop running. The hotel has an appearance that borders on "cheap," especially the elevator from the garage. It's not fancy, but it is very satisfactory.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank SactoJohn
BW_Riviera, Manager at Best Western Plus Riviera, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2012

Hello SactoJohn,

Thanks for taking the time to tell fellow Trip Advisor users about your stay with us. We're glad to hear that everything was satisfactory during your stay. We appreciate your honest feedback and want to let you know that we have some scheduled upgrades coming to the property soon including renovated guest restrooms and an expanded breakfast area. We hope to have you stay with us again the next time you visit the Menlo Park/Palo Alto area.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Riviera

Reviewed 18 October 2012

Our daughter recently underwent major surgery at the Stanford Medical Center Hospital. In preparation for that event, my wife and I selected the Best Western Plus Riviera of Menlo Park to be our home away from home while the procedure was performed and the initial post-surgical recovery period passed. Our selection was made purely on the Best Western's proximity to the Stanford Hospital complex (on several mornings, my wife and I walked to the Stanford Medical Center in well under thirty minutes).

We were prepared for whatever outcome the surgery would produce. What we were not prepared for, however, was the incredible support that the entire Best Western staff provided for us.

When they learned of our daughter's condition, the staff went to the utmost extremes to provide a healthful and comfortable environment not only for her, but for us as well. There was absolutely nothing that they would not do, mostly on their own initiative, to ensure that our stresses were minimized and our physical and mental well being was the focus of their service.

From providing us with the quietest room to arranging, on the spot, for emergency transportation when an ordered taxi failed to arrive and exposed our daughter to the distinct possibility that she would miss a critical post-surgical appointent, extending their breakfast hours for us because of the time involved in preparing our daughter for the coming day, letting us their facilities late at night for our dinners, everything that was done was executed with professionalism and the most courteous and humane of care.

As to the hotel and its facilities, the rooms are quite large and quiet. The bathrooms are spotless and well stocked with towels and a full complement of amenities. The exercise facility houses the requisite treadmill, recumbent bicycle and elliptical machine and is well air conditioned and TV equipped. Pricing is most reasonable considering both the location and the Best Western's competitors' rates.

The complementary breakfast menu is extensive and sumptuous. There is a panoply of dry cereals, freshly cut fruit, coffees, teas, fruit juices, Zero Waters, French pastries, bagels, croissants, Danish, hot waffles, breads, yoghurts, condiments, etc.

In addition to its proximity to the Stanfor Medical Center, the Best Western is a mere two minutes' walking distance to the Stanford Shopping Center, which houses several major department stores, numerous boutiques, a broad selection of restaurants, electronics shops, and a fresh market stocked with fresh fruits, vegetables, wines, dried fruits, meats, baked goods, and imported specialies.

Whatever the reason that brings one to the Stanford / Menlo Park / Palo Alto area, there is no better value to be had than the Best Western Plus Riviera Hotel. Its combination of location, price, service, facilities and breakfast make it the ideal choice!

Room Tip: Room 114 is exceptionally isolatyed and quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank grusleucogeranus
BW_Riviera, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Riviera, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2012

Hello grusleucogeranus,

Thank you so much for your glowing review and for telling other Trip Advisor users about your stay! Your kind words mean a lot to us and we're glad that you enjoyed everything while staying here. I will be passing your comments along to the entire team.

Reviewed 8 October 2012

We needed a place to sleep overnight, literally, without luxurious extras, in Palo Alto. While listed as Menlo Park, it's within walking distance tomUniversity Ave., which we did. It's quicker to walk rather than driving and looking for a parking place. Price was low. Also within walking distance of the Stanford Shopping Center.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Hello Uri123,

We'd like to thank you for taking the time to leave us a review on tripadvisor.com. We appreciate your comments and are glad you were satisfied with your stay! We invite you to visit us again the next time you're in the area, we have quite a few upgrades planned for the latter part of this year including renovated bathrooms, expanded breakfast area and new exterior walkways.

Reviewed 12 August 2012

My wife had a herniated disk in her back. We were told to come to the clinic at Stanford on Tue at 1:30 for evaluation. She was seen and scheduled for surgery the next day. We scrambled to find accomodations. Stanford gave us a list of motels and BW Riviera was at the top of the list. I was able to secure the last room late Tue afternoon. Tiana checked me in and was very friendly and extremely helpful and courteous. She made arrangements in the event we needed a second night's stay. The room was very nice new furniture, a flatscreen TV, microwave and refrig. The noise was minimal even thought the room faced the street. There was a small table and chairs on the balcony that made for a relaxing time. Parking was a little tight but we had no problems. The elevator from parking to the room was small but did the job well. The bath area was very accomodating especially for my wife, Coffee and bottled water along with other ammentities were provided. The continental breakfast was very good and kept us until lunch (cereal, coffee, fruit, fruit cup, wheat toast which nicely accomodated our plant based diet). The proximity of the motel to the Stanford Hospital (1.5 miles) was excellent especially in a highly congested area. At checkout on Thursday, Juan and Beto Flores both went out of their way to extend me time while waiting for my wife to be discharged. Beto was very quick to adjust my rate to the Stanford medical discount (when I made the reservation, I was connected to central reservations who were unaware of the discount - be sure to contact BW Riviera at Menlo Park if you are eligible for a medical discount). Beto and Juan saw that I left with some bottled water and a snack from breakfast for our 3 hour trip home. We were treated very well and the accomodations certainly exceeded our expectations. I would certainly recommend staying at BW Riviera in Menlo Park whether you need accomodations for medical reasons or you are just visiting the area. Thank you Beto, Tiana, Juan and the other staff.
Jim Brown

Room Tip: Each person will view a room differently. So if you have any concerns, ask to see a couple of rooms...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
BW_Riviera, Manager at Best Western Plus Riviera, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2012

Dear James B.,

Thank you so much for your awesome review! All of us here on the team are glad you enjoyed your stay and it's always great to hear positive feedback. I will be sure to share your kind comments with everyone. It was a pleasure having you with us again last week and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 4 July 2012

There were 6 problems we encountered during our 4 day stay.

1. The refrig. didn't keep food at SAFE temps. It was off when we arrived due to so-called energy saving reasons but the refrig took many hours to slightly cool although the freezer worked. Our cherries from Gilroy spoiled in the refrig.

2. The TV with cable was almost impossible to easily turn on. Buttons turned on the TV but not the cable. Then when we turned on the cable box , the TV went off. It took 1-3 minutes with much effort to finally turn on the TV each time.

3. The people above us in room 201 (we were in 101) walked for hours each night from 11-2 a.m. above us with the floor/ceiling squeaking and creaking keeping us AWAKE for hours.

4. The bathtub was NOT PROPERLY CLEANED. We had been tent camping in a dusty forest site previously... ...so I took a bath the first night creating a scummy ring in the tub . But when I took my next bath, the bathtub ring WAS gone but the tub still had camping soap scum and dirt floating in it. Disgusting!

5. The bed was made with food debris still in it. I do not expect sheets to be changed daily. However, our bed was made with the same crumbs and food debris in it from when we snacked on pistachio nuts the night before.

6. There were signs telling us to use the stairs (not the elevator) IF the power went out BUT there is NO SIGN indicating where the STEPS to the garage area are from level 1. The visible center STEPS from level 2 end near the office on level 1 but there is no indication where (on the motel property) this stairway continues to finally reach the parking garage. I had to ask where the steps were in the office when someone stalled the elevator and I needed to get something out of our vehicle in the garage.

Room Tip: Be on the top floor so no one is walking over your room while you are trying to sleep.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank sixtyish
Management response:Responded 11 July 2012

Dear sixtyish,

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience during your stay at our hotel. Please know that I have addressed the issues you mentioned to me with our housekeeping department. The type of service you experienced is certainly not up to our standards and I will make sure that it doesn't occur going forward. Thank you for bringing these items to our attention and we hope you will give us another opportunity to extend superior customer service the next time you travel to the area.

Reviewed 22 April 2012

My organization sends me to Stanford a few times each year. I have stayed at several of the small hotels in the area. I have to say this was one of the better choices. It is a very convenient location...an easy block walk to the Stanford Shopping center with many high end shops and great places to eat. Very close to Stanford Hospital. Only 7-8 blocks from downtown Palo Alto with many more shops and eateries.

Extremely helpful staff. Nice breakfast included -- coffees, juices, hard boiled eggs, pastries, toast, waffles, cereals, yogurt, fruit, etc. Coffee and fruit available all day. Good WiFi in rooms. Rooms were very well appointed with comfortable beds, desk, table and chairs, small fridge, microwave, coffee maker with real ceramic mugs. Everything was spotless. A small pool on the property was a nice place to sit in the sun. No landscape to speak of.

I did not find street noise to be a problem. My room faced the street and with the windows closed and the fan on, I couldn't hear any street noise. If the windows were open, it would be a little different, but not that bad. I would absolutely stay there again.

Room Tip: The hotel is "U" shaped, stay away from rooms on the extreme ends that are closest to the...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
BW_Riviera, Manager at Best Western Plus Riviera, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Queeneee, thank you so much for taking the time to tell Trip Advisor users about your stay with us! We're glad you enjoyed your room and amenities. We're taking additional steps and making more upgrades in the near future to make your stay more enjoyable. We'd love to have you with us again next time you travel to the area.

Thanks again for you comments!

Reviewed 23 March 2012

I stayed here for a post op visit at Stanford. Parking is included and a dinky continental breakfast. We were on the 2nd floor and there was a huge gap under our door. I had to put my duffel bag in front of it to block the light, but also to keep potential critters out. I liked that the remote control was in a little bag saying it had been sanitized. There was a lot of street noise throughout the night. The wifi worked, flat screen tv, bottled water, all nice touches. I was given a small Stanford hospital discount. It is just ok in my opinion.

Room Tip: a room in the back away from the street.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
BW_Riviera, Manager at Best Western Plus Riviera, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2012

3kids2kauai, we appreciate you taking the time to tell other Trip Advisor users about your stay with us. Please know I will be sure to address the issue you mentioned about the gap at the bottom of the door in your room and get it taken care of. We thrive off of comments and constructive criticism from Trip Advisor users like you and take your comments to heart in order to improve our hotel.

Thanks again for your comments. We hope to have you with us again next time you take a trip to the area!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Menlo Park
#4 of 27 in Palo Alto
Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel
Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel
#15 of 27 in Palo Alto

Been to Best Western Plus Riviera? Share your experiences!